Anybody gonna run the 4e Steading of the Hill Giant Chief from DDI as a PBP here?

Scotley

Hero
[sblock=4e Hill Giant]
Large natural humanoid (earth, giant)
Level 13 Brute XP 800HP 159; Bloodied 79 Initiative +5
AC 25, Fortitude 27, Reflex 23, Will 25 Perception+7
Speed 8

Standard Actions Greatclub (weapon) At-Will

Attack: Melee 2 (one creature); +18 vs. AC

Hit: 3d10 + 11 damage.

Hurl Rock (weapon) At-Will

Attack: Ranged 10 (one creature); +18 vs. AC

Hit: 2d10 + 8 damage.

Sweeping Club (weapon) Encounter

Attack: Melee 2 (one or two creatures); +18 vs. AC

Hit: 3d10 + 11 damage, and the giant pushes the target up to 2 squares and knocks it prone.

Str 21 (+11) Dex 8 (+5) Wis 12 (+7)
Con 19 (+10) Int 7 (+4) Cha 9 (+5)

Alignment chaotic evil Languages Giant
Equipment: rock x5, greatclub .

[/sblock]

[sblock=Hill Giant 3.5e]

Size/Type:

Large Giant

Hit Dice:

12d8+48 (102 hp)

Initiative:

Speed:

30 ft. in hide armor (6 squares); base speed 40 ft.

Armor Class:

20 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +9 natural, +3 hide armor), touch 8, flat-footed 20

Base Attack/Grapple:

+9/+20

Attack:

Greatclub +16 melee (2d8+10) or slam +15 melee (1d4+7) or rock +8 ranged (2d6+7)

Full Attack:

Greatclub +16/+11 melee (2d8+10) or 2 slams +15 melee (1d4+7) or rock +8 ranged (2d6+7)

Space/Reach:

10 ft./10 ft.

Special Attacks:

Rock throwing

Special Qualities:

Low-light vision, rock catching

Saves:

Fort +12, Ref +3, Will +4

Abilities:

Str 25, Dex 8, Con 19, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 7

Skills:

Climb +7, Jump +7, Listen +3, Spot +6

Feats:

Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, Improved Sunder, Weapon Focus (greatclub)

Environment:

Temperate hills

Organization:

Solitary, gang (2-5), band (6-9 plus 35% noncombatants), hunting/raiding party (6-9 plus 2-4 dire wolves), or tribe (21-30 plus 35% noncombatants plus 12-30 dire wolves, 2-4 ogres, and 12-22 orcs)

Challenge Rating:

Treasure:

Standard

Alignment:

Often chaotic evil

Advancement:

By character class

Level Adjustment:

+4
[/sblock]

Looks like another significant bump in power to me. Plus, in 4e they have lots of other Hill Giants like Shaman's (Controller) and Hunters, Rock Throwers and even Slingers (Artillery), as well as Avalanchers and Battle-chiefs (Skirmishers). The Challenge rating went from 7 (3.5) to 11 to 14 (4e) for the standard types. There is even a Chthonic Apostle at level 24.

Rhun

First Post
Looks like another significant bump in power to me. Plus, in 4e they have lots of other Hill Giants like Shaman's (Controller) and Hunters, Rock Throwers and even Slingers (Artillery), as well as Avalanchers and Battle-chiefs (Skirmishers). The Challenge rating went from 7 (3.5) to 11 to 14 (4e) for the standard types. There is even a Chthonic Apostle at level 24.

Sounds like a 4E Steading is going to really be a meat-grinder if they stick with the original AD&D format. :)

tiornys

Explorer
From a quick scan, the module looks to be high quality. I'm willing to try DM'ing, but there's a huge caveat that I've never done PbP DM'ing before. I have no experience with mapping programs, and combat maps are likely to be a big deal (lots of combat would be expected, I think).

Basically, if I can get some good advice on handling maps, you people have yourselves a DM.

t~

Walking Dad

First Post
There seem to be currently two map making "schools":

Full color and tokens map tool art.

Google docs spreadsheets like here.

The second isn't as hard to do and with the right options chosen, the players can also update the maps themselves.

Scotley

Hero
From a quick scan, the module looks to be high quality. I'm willing to try DM'ing, but there's a huge caveat that I've never done PbP DM'ing before. I have no experience with mapping programs, and combat maps are likely to be a big deal (lots of combat would be expected, I think).

Basically, if I can get some good advice on handling maps, you people have yourselves a DM.

t~

Welcome. I have done a good bit of PBP DM'ing and I'll be happy to assist you any way I can. I'm currently running three games, so I wasn't going to try to take on this one. I am of the second school that WD described. I use excel and then put it in an older format so players can open it with Google Docs or Open office. Here are some examples I've used. They represent different experiments in style. These are mostly the larger more complex examples. Usually, fights are pretty simple and the maps are not quite this big or involved. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to discuss at more length. I'm not sure how familiar with spreadsheets you are.

Attachments

• Alley.xls
    30.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Harcorts_Mill r1.xls
    33.5 KB · Views: 82
  • roadhouse R4 rx.xls
    226 KB · Views: 100
  • Road to Ravengro R1.xls
    36 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Remove ads