[Proposal] Simplification of Monk Unarmed Strike

WEContact

First Post
The Monk class feature Unarmed Combatant and the Monk multiclass feat both grant PCs the use of the Monk Unarmed Strike, the details of which are printed in the PHB2. The class feature is poorly written and thus, by a strict reading of the RAW, the Monk Unarmed Strike can only count as a weapon that your character is wielding while your character is actively making an attack with that weapon.

Many rules elements give bonuses that do not directly affect an attack, but depend on a character wielding a weapon. Two-Weapon Defense is a good example of this- to benefit, the character must be wielding a weapon in each hand, but the bonus it provides does not affect attacks made with those weapons. Because of the poor wording of the Monk Unarmed Strike, it cannot interact with rules elements like Two-Weapon Defense, penalizing monks and multiclass monks who would like to specialize in unarmed combat (a build decision that is already suboptimal in every case).

In the Character Builder, PCs with the feature can 'equip' the Monk Unarmed Strike in either the main hand or off hand, and receive the benefit of elements like Two-Weapon Defense. I believe that the Builder reflects design intent in this case, and I propose that we adhere to what appears to be intended function of the Monk Unarmed Strike, because the RAI in this case is far more intuitive and logical, and makes a flavorful option very slightly more competitive with run-of-the-mill weapon users.

(Aside: This did come to my attention because of a PC I want to play here, but I'm not trying to game the system- if this proposal is rejected, the PC in question will actually be more powerful, as he will end up taking Weapon Focus instead of Master of the Fist. He will be more boring mechanically, though.)

Last edited:

Remove ads