Stat this up # 1

Nookie

Explorer
Hmm that would be fun. maybe they can spore on their spears or something. Or even halucinations perhapse as a variant ability a sort of magic mushroomling.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like the venom quills.

How's this for pesticide? (I note that we should list ray spores in the attack line as a ranged attack.)
Pesticide - Shroomlings release these spores as a 60 ft ray attack. Non-vermin creatures hit by the attack are sickened for X rounds; vermin are instead nauseated for X rounds and take 1 point Con damage.

Nookie

Explorer
Sounds good. But i think it would be more interesting if it were more effective on Swarms as well. Maybe because more of the bugs are getting poisoned or something like that.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, if it's a vermin swarm, it would take the Con damage, right? I'm not sure I'd want to make it quite so fiddly.

Cleon

Legend
Well, if it's a vermin swarm, it would take the Con damage, right? I'm not sure I'd want to make it quite so fiddly.

Methinks the problem might be you're suggestion looked like a single target attack, and those don't work on Swarms (since killing a single bug among thousands makes no real difference).

I was thinking it'd be an area effect attack, probably a burst from the Myconid. Although we could make it a ranged burst. Something like a "puffball" that can be projected 40 ft., then explodes in a 10 ft. burst?

That'd solve the "deadlier against swarms" problems as AoE attacks do double damage against swarms if I remember the rules rightly.

Hmm... maybe we could kill two vermin with one special attack and make the "Venom Quills" an exploding pesticide bomb?

Nah, I like the poison version better, 'though we could make them more effective against Vermin.

How's this:

Spores (Su)
Pesticide: As a standard action, a shroomling can spit out a puff of spores with a range of 40 ft. which explodes in a 10 ft. burst. All creatures within the burst must succeed at a DC X Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round (?) and then sickened for 1d4 rounds (?). These spores do 3d6 damage (?) to any Vermin within the burst, or 6d6 to any swarm of Vermin. The damage is halved if the Vermin succeed at the Fortitude save.

Quills
Venom: A venom quill does normal shortspear damage and transmits a nasty poison (injury, DC X Fortitude save, initial and secondary damage 1d3 Con, or 1d6 Con if the target is a Vermin). This venom is supernaturally fast, so the secondary damage takes effect after 1 round, not the 1 minute delay of normal poison.

Cleon

Legend
That'd solve the "deadlier against swarms" problems as AoE attacks do double damage against swarms if I remember the rules rightly.

Odd, swarms don't take double damage from AoE in the SRD. I wonder where I got that from?...

...Ah, of course, it's from the 3.0 version of the Swarm:

3E Fiend Folio: "A swarm takes a –10 penalty on saving throws against spells or effects that affect an area, such as many evocation spells or grenadelike weapons. If the area attack does not allow a saving throw, a swarm takes double damage instead."

Nookie

Explorer
Methinks the problem might be you're suggestion looked like a single target attack, and those don't work on Swarms (since killing a single bug among thousands makes no real difference).

I was thinking it'd be an area effect attack, probably a burst from the Myconid. Although we could make it a ranged burst. Something like a "puffball" that can be projected 40 ft., then explodes in a 10 ft. burst?

Hmm... maybe we could kill two vermin with one special attack and make the "Venom Quills" an exploding pesticide bomb?

Nah, I like the poison version better, 'though we could make them more effective against Vermin.

How's this:

Spores (Su)
Pesticide: As a standard action, a shroomling can spit out a puff of spores with a range of 40 ft. which explodes in a 10 ft. burst. All creatures within the burst must succeed at a DC X Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round (?) and then sickened for 1d4 rounds (?). These spores do 3d6 damage (?) to any Vermin within the burst, or 6d6 to any swarm of Vermin. The damage is halved if the Vermin succeed at the Fortitude save.

Quills
Venom: A venom quill does normal shortspear damage and transmits a nasty poison (injury, DC X Fortitude save, initial and secondary damage 1d3 Con, or 1d6 Con if the target is a Vermin). This venom is supernaturally fast, so the secondary damage takes effect after 1 round, not the 1 minute delay of normal poison.

Looks good to me.

Cleon

Legend
Looks good to me.

Me too, but let's see what Freyar thinks before adding it to the Shroomling Working Draft.

Shall we make the Venom's save DC Charisma-based with a racial bonus like the Trance Quills save DC?

We should specify that poison resistance is effective against the Pesticide.

e.g.:

Spores (Su)
Pesticide: As a standard action, a shroomling can spit out a puff of spores with a range of 40 ft. which explodes in a 10 ft. burst. All creatures within the burst must succeed at a DC X Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round and then sickened for 1d4 rounds. In addition, the spores do 3d6 damage to any Vermin within the burst, or 6d6 to any swarm of Vermin. The damage is halved if the Vermin succeed at the Fortitude save. Pesticide spores are treated as a poison attack by creatures with immunity or resistance to poison.

Quills (Su)
Venom: A venom quill does normal shortspear damage and transmits a nasty poison (injury, DC X Fortitude save, initial and secondary damage 1d3 Con, or 1d6 Con if the target is a Vermin). This venom is supernaturally fast, so the secondary damage takes effect after 1 round, not the 1 minute delay of standard poison. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +Y racial bonus.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Venom: A venom quill does normal shortspear damage and transmits a nasty poison (injury, DC X Fortitude save, initial and secondary damage 1d3 Con, or 1d6 Con if the target is a Vermin). This venom is supernaturally fast, so the secondary damage takes effect after 1 round, not the 1 minute delay of standard poison. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +Y racial bonus.

We should decide on this racial bonus. Is it +2 like a Pixie's Special Arrows?

The Spores also need a save DC. How about Constitution-based with a +2 racial bonus?

Remove ads