[RECRUITING! - Old School Mash-Up] The City of the Sleeping Demon OOC

doghead

thotd
Is the picture in the opening post a rough parallel to what the PC's are looking at at the moment? I hope so, because those building look interesting. Attila wants to explore.

Can you give us a rough idea of the layout? How far the far is the nearest building? How far is the biggest most coolest looking building? You said that the water 'churns'. Is it moving fast enough to make entering it dangerous? Moving water is generally dangerous, especially when you don't know what is underfoot. People get swept away. Bad things happen. Or was it more descriptive.

Is the hill completely surrounded by water? Are there any alternative ways off the hill, other than wading or splunking.

A veritable flood of questions.

thotd

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Sorry for the slow down. Work was way too hectic, and now OwlCon has sucked up my time. I am off work tomorrow, however, and will get the game moving again then. :)

doghead

thotd
Cool. Looking forward to seeing what is in the buildings.

How are you planning on handling damage? The Mutant Future mutations are designed for way more hit points than the S&W characters have.

thotd

doghead

thotd
A couple of thoughts. I haven't done much more than a quick sanity check against the rules.

1. Convert the characters to the MF HP method. Most of the damage dealing (healing etc) will come through mutations and weapons, both of which are covered in the MF rules. Spells are then the problem, but as no one has any spells yet, and will have very few for quite a while, its an easier area to manage in the short term. Not really sure how to convert spell damage.

2. Retain the S&W HP method and use a "1d6" = "1 hp" conversion for MF damage levels. Most of the damage levels seem to be based on d6. I saw a couple of "10hp", which could be converted to "3hp" as 10 is around the median value for 3d6. Alternatively, use a "1d6" ="1dLevel" conversion, which would better allow for the accumulating HP system.

3. Covert the whole lot to a simplified version of Ken Hoods 'Grim and Gritty' combat system which, despite the name, is both more elegant and at low levels, less lethal, than the RAW. Retain S&W damage levels for weapons and spells, and use the 1dLevel system for mutations.

As you probably guessed, I'm a bit of a fan of the GnG combat system. But then my ideal system is a classless Epic6 with GnG which puts me somewhat outside the mainstream.

No. 2 is probably the simplest option.

thotd

doghead

thotd
So, are Thudder and Wing leading the charge up the stairs, or are they waiting for Attila do her 'scope things out sort of thing'?

I don't mind either way. I fact, they are more than welcome to take the trap finding role. I just couldn't quite work out from the IC posts what the intention was.

thotd

doghead

thotd
Updated the character sheet to add some equipment (daggers, sling and stones and some more tea) and armour.

The SRD is really nicely laid out and easy to use. It is also quite nice to be using a rule set that doesn't take months to get your head around.

The system has a few idiosyncrasies, but that said, I would give serious consideration to these rules if I was to start another game.

thotd

doghead

thotd
The Swords & Wizardry Colouring Album might just be my first RPG book purchase in 7 years.

The last one was the Star Wars Sage Edition book I think. It was either that or a second copy of SLA Industries rule book because I couldn't get my hands on my original book. I did get given a copy of the Ebberon setting book, but that doesn't count.

Of course, it would mean that I have to go out and get some coloured pencils.

thotd

Remove ads