• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Pathfinder edition of Dusk is now available.

Michael Morris

First Post
Due to the underwhelming interest shown in this publication here at ENWorld I've decided to withdraw it from here. The most current version will remain available on the setting's Facebook group

Last edited:

Michael Morris

First Post
An updated version is now available.

The spell lists for the Advanced Player's Guide and Ultimate Combat have been added to the appendix. The Purity domain has been added (it was accidentally omitted). Some notes on setting variant races in the race chapters. A few spells that where redundant with Advanced Player's Guide or Ultimate Combat have been dropped.

Last edited:

Michael Morris

First Post
Rather than merely bounce the thread, I'm going to start posting a spell a day. Comments on the spells welcome - I'm going to be sticking to the more experimental or weird spells.

[h=4]
Surge[/h]Aboran Evocation [Metamagic]
Level: Sor/Wiz X
Casting Time: 1 immediate action
Components: V, S
Range: Close (25' + 5' / 2 levels)
Target: One spell
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Increase the spell level and caster level of the target spell by X. If the spell exceeds its level cap to damage because of this increase, ignore it.​

Surge does something no current spell does, so its real hard to get a finger on where it should be.

Michael Morris

First Post
Today's spell is a personal campaign classic...

Twincast
Balcran Evocation [Metamagic]
Level: Sor X
Range: Close (25’ + 5’ / 2 levels)
Target: One spell in casting.

Twincast creates a copy of a target incantation of less than level X which is cast by you immediately after the original spell even if you can’t normally cast it. Casting this copy does not cost you a spell slot, but you must be able to fulfill any component costs of the copied spell other than material components with a value less than one gold piece.​

With this single spell a sorcerer can match a wizard's flexibility - especially if he travels with one. Yet, I've seen players go without it to no ill effect.

An incantation is a spell with a casting time of 1 full action or less. Spells with longer casting times are collectively referred to as rituals.

Rather than merely bounce the thread, I'm going to start posting a spell a day. Comments on the spells welcome - I'm going to be sticking to the more experimental or weird spells.

[h=4]
Surge[/h]Aboran Evocation [Metamagic]
Level: Sor/Wiz X
Components: V, S
Range: Close (25' + 5' / 2 levels)
Target: One spell

Increase the spell level and caster level of the target spell by X. If the spell exceeds its level cap to damage because of this increase, ignore it.​

Surge does something no current spell does, so its real hard to get a finger on where it should be.

You might want the spell level increase to be somewhat lower than the caster level increase, maybe X/2. In general, it seems like the spell level should be harder to increase than the caster level.

Michael Morris

First Post
Due to discussion over on Giant in the Playground's forum the spell effect should read.. "Increase the target spell's level by X and the caster level by 2X. These added caster levels ignore any effect caps the spell effect might otherwise have, but the caps remain for the caster's own level. For example, Shocking Grasp is a 1st level spell with a 5d6 damage cap. If you target a casting of Shocking Grasp with Surge while the level of surge is 3rd, the Shocking grasp will be 4th level (affecting its save and spell resistance DC's by +3) and it will deal 11d6 damage."

Keep in mind you cannot cast this spell targeting your own spell. Also it is usually more efficient to prepare a damage dealing spell of your own in the same slot than bolster an ally's spell. These practical ramifications are why the spell remains immediate action.

So its intended use is meant to be cooperative, that's cool. And the 2X to caster level is another way to make the difference that I mentioned earlier. It seems like a powerful spell, but I'm not necessarily against that.

Remove ads