D6 Star Wars RPG Thoughts

Randalthor

First Post
The mechanics were some of the best, I keep meaning to try out the generic D6 rules, but I cannot seem to get a group in this area to play them. (Really, it is hard getting anyone here to play something other than D&D 4E/Encounters, Pathfinder, or another D&D clone, none of which I really want to play.)

Water Bob

Adventurer
Man, we had a great time with some comic relief characters. One of my players played a...oh heck, I forgot what they were called.

This dude look like a four-foot high squirrel that walked on its hind legs. Small, beedy eyes. Big buck teeth. Covered in short fur.

The species was known for bad eyesight, so this character (the player named him "Byrne") had a set of auto-telescoping goggles that he placed over a leather skull cap (that looked like a WWI flyer's hat). These eyepieces were constantly zooming in an out, like the telephoto lense of a digital camera. It created a hell of a scene that use to crack me up when the player would simulate the way the guy looked.

Byrne also had a stutter, and just a tad bit of a lisp. Probably a little bit of Tourettes, too.

When something would go wrong for the group in the game, we'd suddenly hear this high-pitched, "Phhhhuuuucccck!" The entire table would burst out laughing.

Oh yeah, he was a Tynnan. More of a chipmunk, now that I see the pic. Imagine the dude below (I always imagined Byrne to be a little chubbier, more of a pot belly), with a WWI leather flyers cap, those telescoping goggles, a lisp, a stutter, and a touch of Tourettes Syndome...

Man, we had some good times with this game.

Tyn.jpg

LostSoul

Adventurer
I used a house rule to determine how much one skill could help with another.

The first situation was where the PCs were making some fake IDs. One PC had good forgery skills (whatever it's called) and the other PC was a good computer programmer. The programmer wrote some software to help the forger make the fake IDs.

I had the programmer roll his computer programming, divided the roll by 3 or so, and used that as bonus pips/dice to the forger's roll to make the fake IDs. It seemed to work okay and I used it for a long time. (I didn't really divide by 3, I set 3 to +1, 6 to +2, and 10 to 1D; 13 to 1D+1, 16 to 1D+2, 20 to 2D; etc.) If I gave it more thought I might refine that mechanic a little more.

I also used abstract rolls for wealth, though hard numbers ended up to work better. These days I'm thinking about using fuel and consumables as dice ratings that get reduced like damage vs. STR rolls, because I don't want to track days of fuel/food/air/water etc. I should put some thought into that, though.

Water Bob

Adventurer
I used a house rule to determine how much one skill could help with another.

I don't know how familiar you are with the later rule sets, but I do remember that the Combined Action rule was refined a few times. Today, I don't remember exactly how it was used, but second edition revised & expanded had a pretty good rule for it--I remember thinking at the time.

I also used abstract rolls for wealth, though hard numbers ended up to work better.

I've heard that the new Star Wars game by Fantasy Flight uses a die code for wealth. That wouldn't be too hard at all to translate into the D6 game. It's kind of a neat idea.

Each character would have a Wealth statistic. 1D would represent minimum wealth, if the character has anything at all. Something like 6D or 8D would mean that the character is very wealthy.

Then, items to buy simply have difficulties assigned to them. Something inexpensive, like a new pair of boots, might have a Difficuty of 3, or 7, or maybe even 10. The GM can adjust the difficulty to account for item options and quality--and also scarcity. Supply and Demand is a simple matter of picking a Difficulty number for an item. The price of a starship might have a difficulty of 30 or more.

I'm just making this up as I write. You'd have to refine the idea. But, how it works is: Let's say a character needs a new pair of boots. The GM says that a cheap pair is Diff 3. A regular quality pair is Diff 7. And, a high quality pair with reinforced toe is Diff 10.

The character simply throws his Wealth code, and if he achieves the number or higher, he buys the item. If he fails the roll, then he doesn't have enough money.

You could even use the Bargain skill with this, maybe adding a character's Bargain skill to his Wealth code.

So, let's say a character has Bargain 4D (decent at bargaining) and a wealth code of 1D (broke). The character throws 5D when attempting to purchase an item.

Just like in real life, though, not everything can be bargained. So, maybe, on some items, Bargain can't be used--just the wealth code. Other items might have a limit to the amount of Bargain that can be used: Maybe something with a little give will allow only 1D of Bargain to be combined with the character's wealth code.

It's a real interesting idea. And, it has the added benefit that it requires no bookkeeping, the way keeping track of money does.

These days I'm thinking about using fuel and consumables as dice ratings that get reduced like damage vs. STR rolls, because I don't want to track days of fuel/food/air/water etc. I should put some thought into that, though.

You know, they also took the consumables out of the 2nd edition game. I have both the 1st edition and 2nd edition supplement on Tramp Freighters. The first has a system for starship supplies, like life support, battery back-ups, etc. The second edition book completely throws all that out in favor of fast and furious play.

If you wanted, you could also use some kind of dice code system for this, too.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Here's 15 minutes of AWESOME Star Wars. Better than ANYTHING in the prequels (not saying much, huh). We can only hope that Disney does such a fine job on the new upcoming movie.

CLICK HERE FOR STAR WARS AWESOMENESS.

And, if you're in the mood to run a D6 Star Wars game, here's a couple of fan made goodies that I found on the net:

New Player Handout

Galaxy Guide 15: Attack of the Clones

And, here's a bad-ass pick of Dark Leia and her father. Why is Dark Side Leia so much more sexy than Light Side Leia? She's so Dark, she's got to have her high beams on in order to see!

16mweb3fc95102-7d20-49f0-ba35-490b77a23a13.jpg

Last edited:

LostSoul

Adventurer
I don't know how familiar you are with the later rule sets, but I do remember that the Combined Action rule was refined a few times. Today, I don't remember exactly how it was used, but second edition revised & expanded had a pretty good rule for it--I remember thinking at the time.

I used it as the basis for a lot of little rules I had, though I preferred the original 2E table instead of the R&E Command rule. I apparently made a rule for auto-fire weapons that used that table.

Each character would have a Wealth statistic. 1D would represent minimum wealth, if the character has anything at all. Something like 6D or 8D would mean that the character is very wealthy.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it worked, though looking at my rules now I see they are very flawed!

One thing that I did make a lot of use of was the damage table. It's kind of like a graded success chart. For wealth, you'd roll against the item's value as a die code (difficulty would work fine as well); you'd then compare the difference and see how much "damage" you'd take to your wealth score.

I did that for some other things as well:

[sblock=]Cool Drinking Rules of the Star Wars Galaxy
Code:
Drunk Rules:  Use the damage table.  Roll the Stamina:
              Alcohol skill as Strength against the
              damage of the alcohol.  Alcohol damage is
              cumulative.*  Remember that the penalties
              apply to willpower, and PCs can be easily
              Con: Seduced.

* - use combined actions to determine amount for add. drinks.

Drunk Damage Table:
Drink Damage > Stamina: Alcohol by      Result
0-3                                     Mildly Intoxicated.  
                                        Treat as stunned for
                                        1D * 10 minutes.
4-8                                     Drunk.  Treat as
                                        wounded.
9-12                                    Wasted.  -2D to all
                                        skills.
13-15                                   Passed out.  Treat as
                                        incapacitated.
16+                                     Alcohol poisoning.  Damage
                                        carries over to real damage
                                        table, resist at full STR.

Though the numbers are flawed since I wrote those up from memory.[/sblock]

One other thing I found very helpful - so much so that I internalized it - was the table that told you what each die code meant in-game. It was something like this:

1D - Below average human ability
2D - Average human
3D - Some training or natural talent
4D - Professional or amazing natural talent
5D - Elite
6D - Best in a city
7D - Best in a continent
8D - Best in a world

Having internalized that chart, it meant that I could stat up NPCs on the fly.

Randalthor

First Post
And, if you're in the mood to run a D6 Star Wars game, here's a couple of fan made goodies that I found on the net:
Dude those are awesome! Did you make them?

PS: I am talking about the 2 PDFs you link to, The New Player Guide and the Galaxy Guide, I cannot have links yet - even if they are really another posters links in quotes. Silly!

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Same campaign, but a little later on, a different player started playing this Squib. He's another short fellow, but IIRC, they're fearless and quite annoying... ...Quite a memorable character though.

My friends and I often joked about creating a squib character and a ugor character (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ugor) for some comic relief because the two races are constantly locked in a war over trash collecting in the galaxy. Alas, they never came to fruition but that was probably best for our campaigns.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Having internalized that chart, it meant that I could stat up NPCs on the fly.

Yes, I found it extremely easy to make up NPCs at a moment's notice, using D6 Star Wars--especially with first edition.

Dude those are awesome! Did you make them?

Not I, young Jedi. I just found them while surfing the net. They are cool, though. The author's did good jobs on them.

My friends and I often joked about creating a squib character and a ugor character (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ugor) for some comic relief because the two races are constantly locked in a war over trash collecting in the galaxy. Alas, they never came to fruition but that was probably best for our campaigns.

Most of our PCs were "serious" as well, even if they were snake-men or some other type of alien. We had a lot of aliens in our group. The only other comedic one we has was this young kid pa'lowick. He wasn't Force Sensitive, but he thought he was destined to become a Jedi.

He didn't make it too far, as I recall. Some baddie turned him into froglegs.

2266647695234332.png

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Most of our PCs were "serious" as well, even if they were snake-men or some other type of alien. We had a lot of aliens in our group.

Most of our characters were serious too but we loved coming up with absurd concepts. I thought it would be funny to make a columi seductress because they have an incredibly high Perception maximum and are obviously ravishing.

Remove ads