[May] What are you reading?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I'm about midway through book five of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales and it's still holding my interest very well. :)

delericho

Legend
Got bogged down in "The Surgeon's Mate", by Patrick O'Brien. It's not a bad book; I've just not felt inspired to spend much time reading.

I'm also partway through "Maiden, Mother, Crone", the latest Pathfinder Adventure Path book.

Jhaelen

First Post
I just started reading 'Against the Dark', an Ars Magica supplement describing the Transylvanian Tribunal. And unless I'm mistaken that means it's the final Tribunal book. So, it only took five editions of the game to get a complete description of Mythic Europe :)

EricNoah

Adventurer
Print: Finishing up The Last Kingdom (Bernard Cornwell)
Audiobook: Caveat Emptor (Roman Britain historical fiction/mystery)
Kindle: Return of the King

Krug

Newshound
Finished The Hangman's Daughter. Enjoyable medieval murder mystery, though some stuff wasn't too hard to figure out.

Read The Round House by Louise Erdrich. Brilliant in parts, but felt kind of stretched.

Going to start doing some reading for a Coursera course on Fiction and relationships soon.

LeStew

Explorer
Just finished The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe for the second time. Still working on The Templar's Legacy and of course still working my way through the bible.

Nellisir

Hero
Partway through Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. I picked up a bunch of his books for free last month, and really, really liked them. Almost exactly what I want in hard sci-fi. So far I've read Redemption Ark (which is part 2 of the trilogy that Revelation Space is part 1 of); Galactic North; and Terminal World.

The local used book sale started this weekend, and I actually arranged to be there at 8am opening, and made a second trip Sunday. So far I've gotten:
  • Revelation Space
  • Absolution Gap
  • Chasm City
  • We Have Always Lived In The Castle
  • Starbound
  • Tooth and Claw
  • Island of the Sequined Love Nun
  • Poodle Springs
  • Sacre Bleu
  • The Queen of Bedlam
  • The Postman Always Rings Twice
  • Double Indemnity
  • Hypothermia
  • Cold Comfort Farm
  • Lost In A Good Book
  • Norwegian Folktales
  • The Years Best Science Fiction 8th Annual Collection
  • Out of Oz

I'll go back sometime next weekend and go through the mass-market paperbacks as well as the trades and load up on 2nd-tier stuff, and see what's been restocked. I'd love to find Broken Harbor by Tana French, but seeing how there was a hole in that spot on the shelf 5 minutes after opening, I'm not holding out much hope. Still, this was best haul ever.

Last edited:

Dioltach

Legend
I'd just like to say that I'm forever receiving book recommendations from Amazon, Kobo and other places, but none of them are anywhere near as useful as these threads for helping me discover new books that suit my tastes. Thanks everyone!

Remove ads