Old-school dungeon crawl using 5e playtest rules

Shayuri

First Post
I think Sulannus will speak in imperial purple.

As for the description, I'll include this in my forthcoming intro post, but she super-saiyan-sindarin, with long golden hair and milky clear skin and big blue eyes...ethereal, untouchable beauty; flowing, iridescent wardrobe; constant New Age music accompaniment wherever she goes.

The works. I'm going whole hog on this.

And apologies in advance...I plan on having Su outgrow her early obnoxiousness quickly, but I wanted to establish it as a baseline. :)

Last edited:

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
I'll take Blue as my colour if that's ok :)

I also ran into permission issues when I tried to add my character sheet to the Group page but it could well be me doing something wrong.

Now, off to the playing thread!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Hey, Li Shenron! I've got a question about damage and subduing opponents.

The play test rules make no reference that I know to subduing an opponent or to non-lethal damage. As I read it, that means that to subdue/capture an opponent, you need to use the grapple rules (When I've played before, I'll admit we ported the possibility of declaring an attack non-lethal).

I know the purpose of this game is to test the rules, so it makes sense not to ask for subdual damage (i.e. a house rule). Still, if (when) it comes to it, Bartleby may tries to capture a guard (or someone else), and unless you suggest otherwise, I'll use the grappling rules.

Actually, as I type this, the absence of a clearer rule makes it less likely that will happen.

Li Shenron

Legend
Hey, Li Shenron! I've got a question about damage and subduing opponents.

The play test rules make no reference that I know to subduing an opponent or to non-lethal damage. As I read it, that means that to subdue/capture an opponent, you need to use the grapple rules (When I've played before, I'll admit we ported the possibility of declaring an attack non-lethal).

I know the purpose of this game is to test the rules, so it makes sense not to ask for subdual damage (i.e. a house rule). Still, if (when) it comes to it, Bartleby may tries to capture a guard (or someone else), and unless you suggest otherwise, I'll use the grappling rules.

Actually, as I type this, the absence of a clearer rule makes it less likely that will happen.

I don't have the rules now, I'll check them tonight. If they don't mention subduing an opponent, we're going to have to adapt the current options to that, or make something up.

On the top of my head, you definitely need to be in melee to do that (no ranged subdue, unless a specific ability lets you do that) but there could be a way using weapons rather than grappling only, possibly with some penalty (but basically it'd only apply to the last strike).

Li Shenron

Legend
Knocking a Creature Out

"Sometimes an attacker wants to incapacitate a foe, rather than deal a killing blow. When an attacker reduces a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack, the attacker can knock the creature out. The attacker can make this choice the instant the damage is dealt. The creature falls unconscious and is stable."

That's really simple :) Basically, you can drop anyone unconscious without killing it, as you like.

I would still say that you can't do it just that easily with ranged weapons or spells, but basically any melee weapon will do (e.g. striking with the shaft of a spear, the flat edge of a sword, the pommel of a dagger etc.).

Then you probably have it easy to tie your prisoner and wake him up with water on its face for example. I can rule he becomes conscious with 0hp.

Shayuri

First Post
Argh, what's the penalty for firing a ranged attack into a melee? I think I'm missing something horribly obvious. :(

Also, are all the goblins in melee, or are there any hanging back Su can shoot with impunity? :)

Remove ads