Only in America

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Does this exist outside the US?

easycheese.jpg

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Y'all? Isn't that part of a ship?

I've been to areas where the language spoken was very strange. My mother one time had to point to what she wanted on the menu because the waitress at the diner and she couldn't understand each other. OK, that was Texas, but that was still (in theory) English. For fun, I refer you to "Why can't the English Teach their Children How to Speak?", "The Silly Slang Song", and "The Keltie Klippie". (My Fair Lady, I recommend the Geraldine Doyle version, and North Sea Gas if you need sources)

Language and accents are funny. Everyone seems to think native californians speak like surfers or valley girls. One person I met from the mid-west trained herself in valley-speak for when she moved out here. (very sad--I was never able to take her seriously because she sounded like a sorority chick). People ask where I'm from, and don't believe me. I've been accused of being from Brittain, England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, Australia, Back East, Up North, and The South (huh?!?!?!?). I guess it was too much BBC and Celtic Music.

Getting back on track, considering the US has produced such fine products as "Meat-Wizz" (like cheese-wizz or spray on cheese, only with (mystery) meat--I kid you not), I don't think we're in a position to claim any glory. Probably the only thing more disgusting than Marmite.

I don't think anyone else produced easy riser ladders for geriatric pets to get onto beds/couches.

In spite of ample evidence that it doesn't work, USA continues several Prohibition laws.

I can name only one other country that refuses to figure out how to incorporate homosexuality into military regs.

Hmm ... here are a couple my Norwegian friends have commented on in the rural bit of PA I currently frequent:

- Churches. We have a massive number and variety of churches in small towns compared to their experience.

- Giant slabs of burned meat at restaurants.

- Guns & gun shows.

- Cheap automobiles, especially luxury brands like BMW & Mercedes (though I suspect this isn't "only in America")

- Football as religion.

- Competitive kid's sports (vice participative kids sports).

- Horses & buggies on the streets (Amish country).

- Obsession with alcohol but yet taboos against drinking; blue laws.

- All the cars with only one occupant.

- Pickup trucks & SUVs everywhere.

- Local police.

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
We say it 'round these parts to poke fun at those what actually say it in them other parts.
I say "howdy" and "y'all" un-ironically.

I've never even seen canned cheese. One thing about America: Plenty of us are irredeemable savages but plenty of us aren't, too.
I was gonna say me neither, but then someone posted the picture of cheeze whiz. I had actually forgotten that's a thing. Perhaps for a good reason.

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
Is that what "canned cheese" is? Huh... I've never heard it called that.
Perhaps because by not calling it "cheese" we can separate it from what it's a twisted mockery of and overlook a monstrosity of unnatural proportion it really is.

You know, like how real newborns are almost never depicted because people don't want to think about the fact they come out screaming and covered in blood. Pregnancy seems so much nicer when you just see smiling mommy wheeled off into the maternity wing and then cut to mommy and daddy crooning over their not-newborn baby.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I realize those who do not state where they are for personal reasons, And I have no qualms at all about that.

Having said that, those who have not listed where they are, I was wondering, for those outside of the USA, if you would honor the nosy old fart, me, and say where you are? Please? and thank you in advance. It is only a matter of curiosity.

I realize those who do not state where they are for personal reasons, And I have no qualms at all about that.

Having said that, those who have not listed where they are, I was wondering, for those outside of the USA, if you would honor the nosy old fart, me, and say where you are? Please? and thank you in advance. It is only a matter of curiosity.
No! Never!!!

Remove ads