D&D 5E Better pics from PAX East

BryonD

Hero
In the (often despised?) picture of the elf holding one, the waist of the instrument is hidden behind the elf's head and neck. This means that there might be a soundhole there. Given that possibility, it is not certain that the instrument is "obviously" electric, no matter how many times detractors state that it is "obvious."
I don't know about "despised". But are you saying that the artist choose to hide the sound hole in highly unusual position rather than simply putting it where it is expected and then choose to put on a pickup just to be tricky?

Take that picture out on the street and ask random people if that looks like a modern or middle ages instrument.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Wow, what a discussion about the history of musical instruments! :cool:

Regardless of style and historical correctness, this image sounded the same chord in me as the old 1e Tika Waylan of Dragonlance fame with her weapon proficiency: heavy frying pan. The way the elf holds the thing reminds me of a heavy weapon shouldered for ease of wearing it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

I'll ditto the "good find" comment, and I'll add this: In the pictures of the "guitara latina" that Klaus posted, the soundhole is located in the waist of the instrument, between the upper bout and the lower bout.

In the (often despised?) picture of the elf holding one, the waist of the instrument is hidden behind the elf's head and neck. This means that there might be a soundhole there. Given that possibility, it is not certain that the instrument is "obviously" electric, no matter how many times detractors state that it is "obvious."
My take on it is this: it looks like a slightly oversized guitarra Latina with a middling-deep lower bout, the soundhole of which could be the ornate work behind the bard's head, much like in some of the guitars made by Ervin Somogyi.

http://www.esomogyi.com/customoptions.html
http://www.esomogyi.com/specialprojects.html

...but one that inexplicably appears to have a lipstick pickup at the base of the fretboard.:erm:

OTOH, given that the bard in question has pointy ears, that "pickup" could be doggone near anything- a magical pickup...or a talisman of some kind.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Folks,

Rhetorical questions: Is this thread really going to be over whether it is a guitar or not? Or is this just about arguing? Is this a good use of anyone's time and effort?

Move along to something that is less about banging your heads against each other, please. Thanks much.

Blackbrrd

First Post
And you're welcome to disagree, but fortunately these sorts of things get reviewed on a regular basis, and if you look at the reviews, they are consistently showing a massive uptick in positive views on the current adventures.

I myself find the most recent ones to be exceptionally good. Better than what I've read from Paizo lately. Scourge of the Sword Coast and Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle are both great. I heard some of the last 4e adventures were great as well.

I have started a campaign that will use Reavers of Harkenworld and Madnes at Gardmoore Abbey. Both look really solid. They kind of remind me of Red Hand of Doom who got voted as the #2 adventure in a wotc poll.

What makes those three adventures so good (in my opinion) are that they can be run as written, but also gives you a lot of opportunities as a DM to customize them in a way that ties in with the characters.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases