D&D 5E Better pics from PAX East

Klaus

First Post
More like the "cone of shame" from UP! Oh wait, squirrel!

View attachment 61271

That's a gorget. A bit oversized, but not by too much.

004.jpg

Blackwarder

Adventurer
More like the "cone of shame" from UP! Oh wait, squirrel!

View attachment 61271

LOL, nice :)

But jokes aside, this is a legitimate piece of armor, and I personally have no problem with it being shown as part of the art of the game. when it comes to realistic armors I think Mike Mearls and Co. meant banning chain mail bikinis (a shame really, since they are such a staple of the game :heh:) and such.

What I'd like to see are full plate that looks realistic.

Warder

Yeah same chunky cumbersome unrealistic style as 4E. Almost Renaissance-punk. Yergh. Like the ship tho.

But I don't buy rulesets for the art, though it helps.
What world are you living in where chunky cumbersome armor isn't realistic? In fact the neck guard armor that is on the guy on the top is actually something that to this day is still used.
That's a gorget. A bit oversized, but not by too much.
I've seen modern day armor that actually has one that is even larger than that.

Last edited:

I've seen modern armour much clunkier than that too, EOD armour. But that is not for hand to hand combat.

Check out full plate armour on youtube or a museum, it is not clunky it is not restrictive and the only thing it stops you doing is swimming and keeping your cool. Mail feels cumbersome but doesn't look it, neither does plate. That armour is like the winter version with padding for 5 people on underneath.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
it is not clunky it is not restrictive and the only thing it stops you doing is swimming and keeping your cool.

Well, yes and no.

Basic plate armor weighed from 35-55 lbs. It was well-distributed, well-articulated, yes. But note that you're still carrying something like 40 extra pounds. Moment to moment, it isn't bad, but it is tiring. You really don't want to go out dancing in the stuff.

And effective helmets *severely* limit vision. People say you can jump, run, and do somersaults in the stuff, but try that in the middle of a combat when you can't really see? You break bones that way.

These things, I think, do add up to a reasonable argument for maximum Dex bonuses, and the like.

I've seen modern armour much clunkier than that too, EOD armour. But that is not for hand to hand combat.

Check out full plate armour on youtube or a museum, it is not clunky it is not restrictive and the only thing it stops you doing is swimming and keeping your cool. Mail feels cumbersome but doesn't look it, neither does plate. That armour is like the winter version with padding for 5 people on underneath.
I have. Armor from that time period does look that clunky. It may not be that clunky at all in practice but when one of the major forms of armor from that time period is effectively a giant winter blanket that actually looks like EOD armor you kind of begin to realize that it was clunky.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
What exactly is unrealistic about leather gorgets? There is plenty of archeological evidence that they were used.

Remove ads