D&D 5E Better pics from PAX East

Great however lacquer finish or musical instrument type is not the problem. The instrument does not look like a guitar/lute/whatever that was made using anything but modern technology. To me it looks like an anachronism, Dire Straits would put it on an album cover. I think it would look great in a steampunk game, and it looks truly out of place in a quasi medieval/renaissance game.

Last edited:

BryonD

Hero
Lacquer has existed since the 10th century and as someone pointed out earlier, similar instruments have existed since the 9th century.

Were they solid body guitars? How did the pickups work in these 9th century guitars? Can you show me one with cutaways like this one? That kinda of tailpiece? Bridge? Tuning pegs?

Seriously, I think it is a pretty cool anachronistic piece. I like it. But if the defense is that it isn't anachronistic and actually fitting to the time then you are slapping the artist in the face. Because if the artists intended the viewer to see that and think 10th century guitar, then the artist failed spectacularly. If, in the other hand, the idea is that in a world with magical music a guitar might look a lot like a modern electric, then he did a very good job.

Klaus

First Post
Were they solid body guitars? How did the pickups work in these 9th century guitars? Can you show me one with cutaways like this one? That kinda of tailpiece? Bridge? Tuning pegs?

Seriously, I think it is a pretty cool anachronistic piece. I like it. But if the defense is that it isn't anachronistic and actually fitting to the time then you are slapping the artist in the face. Because if the artists intended the viewer to see that and think 10th century guitar, then the artist failed spectacularly. If, in the other hand, the idea is that in a world with magical music a guitar might look a lot like a modern electric, then he did a very good job.

Lacqueur aside, it's not too far off this guitar, from 1672:

gtr_play.jpg

with some decorations going on, like this:

d2f8f3b1a72b66fba377aa090fa6fb9f.jpg

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Lacqueur aside, it's not too far off this guitar, from 1672:
I very, very strongly disagree. It's a depiction of a modern guitar. If you like that sort of thing, then cool. If you don't, not as cool. I'm not going to say whether or not I like it, but I will repeat my opinion: I think it's obviously a depiction of a modern guitar.

CM

Adventurer
Really digging the look of these pieces. I am fond of the modernish/high-fantasy aesthetics, which reminds me quite a bit of Final Fantasy-style art. Happy to have D&D art finally join the party.

In fact I used this pic of Auron from Final Fantasy for my last character, an avenger. I think these guys would fit right in that style.

Edit: And I find it hilarious that people are losing it over the guitar. Elves, in most campaigns, have had thousands or even tens of thousands of years to advance the state of their handicraft, yet an instrument that could be built in the real world with 17th-century technology is suddenly a huge anachronism. I bet you 95% of the target audience (and probably the artist) doesn't know what a pickup is or why it's out-of-place.

KtLl7qu.png

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
I very, very strongly disagree. It's a depiction of a modern guitar. If you like that sort of thing, then cool. If you don't, not as cool. I'm not going to say whether or not I like it, but I will repeat my opinion: I think it's obviously a depiction of a modern guitar.

It's a guitarra latina, a Medieval string instrument from Spain:

guitarra_latina_publicar.jpg

Guitar_latina_morisca.jpg

Attachments

• 40473.jpg
    40473.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 265

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I'll ditto the "good find" comment, and I'll add this: In the pictures of the "guitara latina" that Klaus posted, the soundhole is located in the waist of the instrument, between the upper bout and the lower bout.

In the (often despised?) picture of the elf holding one, the waist of the instrument is hidden behind the elf's head and neck. This means that there might be a soundhole there. Given that possibility, it is not certain that the instrument is "obviously" electric, no matter how many times detractors state that it is "obvious."

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

And I think it's obviously not. And given I think you're the only person in a sea of people who disagree with you - then we should be able to agree it's not "obviously" the thing you think it is, as "obviously" inherently implies we'd all be seeing what you're seeing. But we're not. So you might be right in guessing it's supposed to be a modern guitar (I doubt it, but it's possible), but it's not obviously so.

Remove ads