D&D 5E Better pics from PAX East

No my comments were more aimed at the other two figures, especially the guy with the collar. The bard is ok, though she wouldn't be able to move her arms with a cloak across her shoulders like that. Loathe her guitar tho, cos that is 20th century. The bard is OK but since the anachronism of the guitar is there it ruins the image.

I must admit, those out-of- context pieces on white backgrounds are just soulless to me. They don't make me feel anything. The artists are obviously excellent, it's just that I need a scene.

It's not just WotC that does this. Heck, my own publications have done if.
Yeah this probably makes it worse and the reason why I prefer the ship. I really don't like the posing adventuring group look that seemed prevalent with 4E. I like to see adventurers adventuring and fighting a landscapes/scenes that inspire me to include it in my games. The main background image at the talk of the group fighting the dragon is inspiring. A bard with a 20C guitar (oversized like a anime sword too) is very very meh.

Last edited:

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Loathe her guitar tho, cos that is 20th century. The bard is OK but since the anachronism of the guitar is there it ruins the image.

Yeah this probably makes it worse and the reason why I prefer the ship. I really don't like the posing adventuring group look that seemed prevalent with 4E. I like to see adventurers adventuring and fighting a landscapes/scenes that inspire me to include it in my games. The main background image at the talk of the group fighting the dragon is inspiring. A bard with a 20C guitar (oversized like a anime sword too) is very very meh.
cythara_9th-cent_Stuttgart-Psalter_c830_deta.jpg

Image from the 9th century of a dude playing a very large guitar-like instrument.

According to my brief research, the modern guitar has existed since the renaissance and baroque periods, which corresponds to FR.

I wonder if it would look less weird if it weren't black and shiny. But whatever, she's an elf.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Scenes are pricey, yeah?

I'm digging the style. Very painterly, very organic, very "realistic." A far cry from 3e's general dungeonpunk asethetic, and 4e's general comic-book feel. The feel old and lived-in and confident, which is really cool. They don't have to pose, they don't have to strut, they don't have to be flash and style.

I'm in favor of doing scenes wherever possible instead of free-floating figures, though!

I wonder if it would look less weird if it weren't black and shiny. But whatever, she's an elf.

Her aesthetic gives me a slightly middle-eastern vibe, with the pinks and the blues and the black with the intricate design. And it makes sense to me - of course elves keep their instruments all shiny and colored, they LOVE the aesthetics! :)

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
You prefer this bard?
Yes, I prefer that first one you posted to the new one.

I must admit, those out-of- context pieces on white backgrounds are just soulless to me. They don't make me feel anything. The artists are obviously excellent, it's just that I need a scene.
Yes! Bring back Larry Elmore! Yes, he prefers his ladies to wear very little clothing, but his landscapes are to die for ~ and are so much more evocative than just about all of the digital art that WotC has commissioned.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I like the new art, way better than 3e and 4e style of art.
I really like the dragon on the first piece they've showed, it looked awesome.

Warder

pemerton

Legend
I really don't like the posing adventuring group look that seemed prevalent with 4E. I like to see adventurers adventuring and fighting a landscapes/scenes that inspire me to include it in my games.
I generally agree with your comments - I don't really care for any of the figures - but when the 4e art has lots of landscapes, and figures in action and/or landscapes. (And not just on the chapter splashes, either.)

JeffB

Legend
I like the scene. The rest makes me want for the old days of B&W sparsely illustrated D&D books.

It also drive sme nuts (not really, but) they spent gobs of money on art for 5e, when they need to spend it on competent adventure writers.

BryonD

Hero
cythara_9th-cent_Stuttgart-Psalter_c830_deta.jpg

Image from the 9th century of a dude playing a very large guitar-like instrument.

According to my brief research, the modern guitar has existed since the renaissance and baroque periods, which corresponds to FR.

When was the bullet pickup at the neck first introduced? :)

Seriously, the saddle, tailpiece, tunings, etc... are all very modern. But a pickup?

I don't mind any of this. I like the piece and the art won't wake a big difference to me anyway.
But they had boats well before the 9th century and a speedboat is still modern.

Remove ads