Ashes, all OOC

mips42

Adventurer
Background[sblock]The Past
It's been 1000 years since the collapse of Amric, the great empire. theirs was a time of prosperity, enlightenment and equality for most. Sadly, as such thing often are, it was also a time of crime, greed and corruption. The great empire spanned nearly the entire continent and had lasted for hundreds of years. It died in a few, short days in violence and fire. The legends say that the flames in some areas reached thousands of feet into the air, lighting the night sky, and the heat could be felt for miles in any direction.
Once the fires burnt out, there followed years of struggling just to survive as the smoke and ash nearly blotted out the sun. It was during this time that the creatures of legend returned. Goblins, orcs, and other even more evil creatures came from wherever they'd been hiding and nearly wiped out the more goodly races. Good was on the brink of extinction. But they survived by banding together. Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Halflings, along with other goodly races, banded together in ways that they had never had to before in small city states, viciously defended from the encroaching hoards.
Gradually they fought back the monsters and established small duchies, principalities and feifdoms emerged from the city-states of the past, ruled by the whoever could hold power.
The Present
The Dukedom of Gravos, ruled by Grieve Declan, is a medium sized dukedom located on the east coast of the continent. It is a somewhat vibrant state, having access to minor mineral deposits, logging, farming, and several seaports, the major of which is Ertham. Lately, though, Gravos has been in tense negotiations with their western neighbors, Pienn, over mineral rights in the central Palach mountains. There's even been talk that, if an accord cannot be reached, Gravos may wage war on Pienn and attempt to annex them by force.
As if that weren't enough, there have been recent reports that monstrous forces, Goblins, orcs, Kobolds and more, have been seen in force in the wilder parts of the duchy, prompting many to urge Grieve to break off negotiations with Pienn and focus, instead, on the monster problem.[/sblock]

A runner has arrived in town, proclaiming that the port town of Crown Point has been attacked by monstrous forces.
The local Baron, Greive Declan, has asked all citizens to give what they can to support the relief efforts. Wagons of supplies will be leaving as soon as possible. The Baron has also asked that any able-bodied citizens who are able to go and help rebuild leave as soon as possible. Will you answer the call?

A beginning adventure for 4-5 1st level characters in a home-brew world.
Rule set: D&D 5e Basic (plus anything that is in the Starter set that's NOT in Basic)

What I expect:
[sblock]
Simply this: have fun and don't be a d!ck. Play your character as they would appear to others but know that if your character is a a$$hat, they'll likely be treated like one.
[/sblock]
What you should expect:
[sblock]
I will do all that I can to make sure everyone has fun and promote a positive gaming experience. I will try my best to be fair and honest with my dice rolls (allowing for GM Fiat, of course), play NPC's true to their natures and follow my own imperative to not be a d!ck.
[/sblock]
How I like to play:
[sblock]
I'm not gonna lie to ya, Marge, I like a good story. This will likely involve exposition, plots, counter plots, intrigue and forcing players to ferret out the details. It WON'T be handed to you and I will try my hardest NOT to put you on tracks.
[/sblock]
The Game:
[sblock]
Play by post here on EN World. At least to start with, I will allow you to roll your own dice (as long as I do not suspect a cheat) in whatever manner you choose; be it actual physical dice, a dice app or a dice rolling website.
Roleplay. use colored text if you want or put your characters' speech in quotes. If I am unsure if you said it or not, you said it.
You are in charge of managing your own characters' AC, HP and other management chores (see the point about dice).
How often? As often as we can. If that means a "turn" a week, fine. If that means two or three a day, okay.
Hot buttons:
- Resting and healing: If you have and use second wind during combat, you must COMPLETE a short rest of 1hr before you can use it again, in combat or not.
- Improvised actions: Please do! I will do my best to make game-mechanics decisions that make sense, let you know the risks involved and then ask if you want to proceed.
Anything else, ask.
[/sblock]
Character creation:
[sblock]
You can use one of the starter set pre-gens (remove adventure specific quests) or create your own character. If you decide to create your own, you can use 4d6 drop low, point buy or the array listed in the basic rules. Any background is fair game. Feel free to mix and match Traits, Ideals, Bonds and Flaws as desired to create the character you want. See the note under What I expect.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

PierceSG

First Post
Hi mips42,

I would like to join your adventure. But I'm pretty new to D&D 5th edition so I'm hoping to learn as I go. :)

dream66_

First Post
Luckily, we are all new to 5e, at least in it's finished form.

I wonder if a lot of people are waiting on PHB before play by posting 5e.

I have to admit that I'm feeling sad about playing a class from basic when in just a week (likely before the play by post gets started) I could roll a druid.

Kaodi

Hero
Str [roll0] Dex [roll1] Con [roll2] Int [roll3] Wis [roll4] Cha [roll5]

And for race too: [roll6]

Edit: Jesus Christ, this is the second time the roller as given me truly abysmal rolls.

Edit 2: I guess that would make me a human with Str 11 Dex 10 Con 10 Int 13 Wis 7 Cha 9. Basically an apprentice mage.

Edit 3: Sage background, Fire Bolt, Mage Hand, and Prestidigitation for cantrips. Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Identify, Mage Armour, Magic Missile, and Shield for spells.

Last edited:

mips42

Adventurer
As was previously stated, we're all new to 5e. I've only played it once and have not DM'd it before, so it's all good. if you've not yet, I recommend downloading and reading the Basic rules.
So, it looks like we've got 3 interested, Dream66, PierceSG and Kaodi. Great!
Kaodi, looks good. Come up with some details for your background. Where or for whom were you a sage? How did your power manifest? Why did you leave? What are you hoping to find at Crown Point?

Fair disclosure: I don't claim this is a great adventure as I've cobbled it together from what we know (from the starter set) and some 'creative speculation'. You'll likely encounter creatures not found in the Starter Set. If nothing else, you'll have a chance to try out 5e and see if you like it.
I'd like to get one more before launch.
This thread will become the OOC / rogues' gallery.

dream66_

First Post
Ok, I don't promise to stick with these but lets just see what random roll gets me.....

Roll(4d6)+0:
5,5,5,4,+0
Total:19

Roll(4d6)+0:
5,1,6,2,+0
Total:14

Roll(4d6)+0:
5,1,1,2,+0
Total:9

Roll(4d6)+0:
3,5,5,5,+0
Total:18

Roll(4d6)+0:
4,6,4,1,+0
Total:15

Roll(4d6)+0:
3,6,3,5,+0
Total:17

Str: 14 Dex: 14 Con: 15 Int: 8 Wis: 13 Cha: 15

Race: (1d9) 8

Wow... um half orc heavy, great fighter

Last edited:

mips42

Adventurer
Ok, I don't promise to stick with these but lets just see what random roll gets me.....

Roll(4d6)+0:
5,5,5,4,+0
Total:19

Roll(4d6)+0:
5,1,6,2,+0
Total:14

Roll(4d6)+0:
5,1,1,2,+0
Total:9

Roll(4d6)+0:
3,5,5,5,+0
Total:18

Roll(4d6)+0:
4,6,4,1,+0
Total:15

Roll(4d6)+0:
3,6,3,5,+0
Total:17

Str: 14 Dex: 14 Con: 15 Int: 8 Wis: 13 Cha: 15

Race: (1d9) 8

Wow... um half orc heavy, great fighter

Good rolls. No half-orc though. Maybe a human or a dwarf?

Remove ads