Hoard of the Dragon Queen - Prologue

Brother Dave

First Post
Rolen silently agrees with Henric about the gnomes. At least you didn't have to spend days listening to it, he thinks, glad for the relief.

He watches as Henric strides purposefully away and the others follow, then glances uncertainly at the snoring gnome. Should I leave him alone like this? But I did say I would help with the gnolls. And surely he's safe enough here by this lodge. He makes up his mind and quickly hurries after the group, picking up the faint whispered litany of questions posed by Erevan. Heh...that elf with all his questions is almost as bad as the gnomes. No, I take that back. At least he's not constantly arguing. He pauses thoughtfully. I suppose I really should at least find out their names. I can't just keep calling him 'that elf'.

He catches up to the trailing member of the group. "So, what do they call you?"

[sblock]Not sure who is trailing, but whoever it is, that's who I ask.[/sblock]

dream66_

First Post
He catches up to the trailing member of the group. "So, what do they call you?"

[sblock]Not sure who is trailing, but whoever it is, that's who I ask.[/sblock]

Kerri has been following behind at a slight distance avoiding the argueing gnomes and all the social chaos she's not used to.

She looks absolutely shocked that he chooses to talk to her. "My mother called me the name Kerri, It is a good name."

She looks Rolen up and down. She seems to be thinking him over in her head but then says,"Does not matter if gnoll or kobold, sword works just the same."

Brother Dave

First Post
Rolen is a bit nonplussed by her response. "Er...yes, I suppose that is so. About the swords, I mean."

He pauses. Unsure where to go with the conversation now that he started it, he latches onto her name. "Kerri...that...that is a fine name. Um...I believe it means...um...." He searches his memory. "Er...'dark', if I'm not mistaken...in an ancient Elvish language. Which suits you. Because....you know....your dark hair...." He trails off, noticing for the first time the antlers in her hair. He's curious about them, but not really sure how to ask.

Well, that went well, he thinks dryly to himself. 'It means dark'. He rolls his eyes. She probably thinks I'm a gibbering idiot. At least she doesn't seem any more conversationally gifted than I am. Don't we make quite a pair, trailing along after these others like a pair of, of, well, something that trails after others, I suppose. His gaze takes in the group walking ahead, and he sighs. I guess I'll learn more about them later.

He considers Kerri for a few moments. At least this one doesn't tower over me like most humans. That's something.

He suddenly snaps his fingers. "Puppies!", he announces out loud, then blushes furiously.

[sblock]Taking liberties here, since the 'ancient' elvish language is technically from LotR. :) [/sblock]

dream66_

First Post
Rolen is a bit nonplussed by her response. "Er...yes, I suppose that is so. About the swords, I mean."

He pauses. Unsure where to go with the conversation now that he started it, he latches onto her name. "Kerri...that...that is a fine name. Um...I believe it means...um...." He searches his memory. "Er...'dark', if I'm not mistaken...in an ancient Elvish language. Which suits you. Because....you know....your dark hair...." He trails off, noticing for the first time the antlers in her hair. He's curious about them, but not really sure how to ask.

Kerri stops paying attention to Rolen distracted taking a wad of her dirty hair between her fingers looking at it, until...

He suddenly snaps his fingers. "Puppies!", he announces out loud, then blushes furiously.

she jumps at his outburst and begins to draw her sword before realizing what he said, she releases the sword hilt then looks around before softly asking. "Where?"

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Henric leads your group quietly through the woods, following the river upstream. Unaware of Kerri and Rolen's interactions, he responds to Erevan's searching questions.

"Too hairy for orcs or goblins. And there's no mistaking that awful cackle of a laugh they have. There must have been five, maybe six of them. Looked like some sort of hunting party to me - one had a pair of rusty beartraps slung over a shoulder, one was dragging a deer along the ground... still kicking and twitching. Damned beasts didn't even put it out of it's misery."

He slows down slightly and drops into a low crouch, motioning for you all to do the same. Carefully he picks his way amongst the undergrowth, trying to be quiet and stealthy.

"The trees here are fairly dense, and they're not the most observant of creatures. With a bit of care, we should be safe. The stones are in a raised clearing, but if you approach from upriver there are some rocky outcrops you can use for cover. That's your job, though. I won't be getting that close. Careful now, it's just up head where I saw them..."

Henric moves up to take cover behind a dense and thorny bush. With little regard for the barbs, he pushes the vegetation aside slowly and peers ahead.

"Well, would you look at that... seems like someone may have got here before you..." he says in a surprised voice.

OOC for Erevan
[sblock]At the risk of setting a slightly dangerous precedent I think I'll also give retroactive Inspiration for your little maneuver with the gems back at the inn.[/sblock]

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Henric jumps, slightly startled as Erevan appears silently at his side. He gestures forward with his hand, beckoning him to look. The rest of the group soon catch up and do likewise.

Looking ahead, you can see the bodies of three Gnolls on a patch of grass by the riverside, along with perhaps two smaller corpses that you can't quite make out from here. Blood stains the ground, and there are broken javelins and a crude handaxe lying closeby. It's obvious that a fight has taken place.

"...I think I might have to take my leave of you now."
says Henric quietly. "If you follow the river upstream you won't go wrong. Be careful, mind. Looks like there might be more than just Gnolls about..."

mips42

Adventurer
Erevan

Erevan quietly says to henric 'perfectly understandable. Thanks for guiding us. Bahamut be with you and protect you.
'Kerri, take a look. What can you see about the creatures there?' Pointing at the not-gnolls 'I can't see them well enough to tell what they are.
'
Renestrae, maybe you and I should sneak about. See if we can make sure the area is safe.
'Robert, Mirri, keep your eyes open and be ready to take action, we don't know what we're getting into here. But try not to spell me, alright?
New guy, Rolen was it? Same goes for you.'

Li Shenron

Legend
Looking ahead, you can see the bodies of three Gnolls on a patch of grass by the riverside, along with perhaps two smaller corpses that you can't quite make out from here. Blood stains the ground, and there are broken javelins and a crude handaxe lying closeby. It's obvious that a fight has taken place.

Miri is a bit hesitant about what's best to do, so she's waiting to see if her comrades decide to investigate the battle's scene, in which case she'll try to examine the terrain for footprints or other interesting details. If the group decides to stay away from the corpses and circumvent the location, she'll simply eye the scene from the distance, in case she can spot something unusual (for example marks on the trees, broken branches, etc.).

A Wisdom(Survival) check for the purposes above: 1d20+4 → [16,4] = (20)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4650627/

Erevan quietly says to henric 'perfectly understandable. Thanks for guiding us. Bahamut be with you and protect you.

If Miri can hear this, her attention will be certainly grabbed by the mentioning of the Platinum Dragon. Bahamut... why does this name sound clearly important to me? I just don't... remember, why all of a sudden do I feel like I have heard it a million times before? And what does this fellow possibly know about it? I must talk to him, soon...

epicbob

Explorer
Robert Weaving

"Who made you the boss?" Robert replies to Erevan with a smirk. "Personally, I'm going to take a closer look at those strange corpses. If anyone else is curious, they're welcome to join me." With that, he starts concentrating on himself for a moment. As he seems to struggle, an unstable aura of arcane magic swirls around Robert. After a moment, it finally stabilizes into what appears to be a protective barrier around him.

With a sigh of relief, he says : "Thank the gods it worked. Well, here goes nothing." Finally, he draws his quarterstaff before cautiously making his way towards the corpses, with less ability than he would like.

[sblock=ooc]Basically, I cast Mage Armor on myself and try to be stealthy. Mage Armor gives me a base AC of 13 + Dex Mod. For the next 8 hours, I have a total AC of 15.

Also, the magic surge roll is higher than 1 so nothing happens.

By the way, does my accepting to hunt down every gnoll to get a bonus count as inspiration for my character? One of my character's personality traits is that he likes to take risks for a potential pay-off.

I figured that actively hunting down every gnoll in the area would qualify.[/sblock]

[sblock=Stealth roll]Stealth roll: 1D20+2 = [7]+2 = 9
[/sblock]
[sblock=Wild Magic Surge roll]Wild Magic Surge: 1D20 = [3] = 3[/sblock]

Remove ads