Doctor Who: Into the Dalek (Spoilers)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So what did people think of this one?

I liked Capaldi a lot. Now he's had a full episode as the Doctor (post regen) you can see he's going to be a Hartnell type, albeit more stylish. Hartnell was pretty cold at first, though they did thaw him out a bit.

Missy? I think she's taking people who sacrificed themselves for the Doctor, or at his behest. Whoever she is - Rani, Master, TARDIS, pick your favourite of the various theories - that seems to be the theme. Of course we don't know for sure that the android last week killed himself, but if Missy takes another person this coming weekend who sacrificed themself for the Doctor, then we have our answer - the android jumped, wasn't pushed.

Clara is a million times better written than last year. She feels like an actual character, and she has better chemistry with Capaldi than she had with Smith. Different sort of chemistry, of course.

What about the new crying soldier, Danny Pink? I found the whole tear in the eye when a kid asks if he's killed anyone to be a bit... dunno. Silly. He's going to be the new companion, so the Doctor needs to get over his aversion to soldiers.

Why do Daleks have corridors and lights inside them? And why wasn't it obvious that fixing the malfunction that caused the Dalek to turn good would turn it back to evil. Obviously!

Nellisir

Hero
Clara is a million times better written than last year. She feels like an actual character, and she has better chemistry with Capaldi than she had with Smith. Different sort of chemistry, of course.
Yes.

What about the new crying soldier, Danny Pink? I found the whole tear in the eye when a kid asks if he's killed anyone to be a bit... dunno. Silly.
I thought it typical ham-handed cliche shortcut. It's...what I expect from Moffat & Dr Who, frankly.

Why do Daleks have corridors and lights inside them? And why wasn't it obvious that fixing the malfunction that caused the Dalek to turn good would turn it back to evil. Obviously!
Because budget. <sigh> And yes, it was.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yeah Im a week behind but no matter I liked this episode although it was slow.

I think Dannys tear was appropriate given that it was connected to him killing a non-soldier - the event was traumatic and emotional and possibly a plot point for Danny.

I liked Jennas character being flirtation and determine and just, and I like the gruff Doctor although the 'am I a good man' meme is getting annoying.

The Dalek lights I can overlook or rationalise as just radiant discharge of excess energy, and I think the turning the Dalek evil again was covered in the script when Jenna accused the Doctor of doing it just to prove his point about Daleks being iredeemable (ie the Doctor can be a self righteous prick - or a good Dalek).

The stuff about the Dalek seeing stars born and realising the futility of Dalek ways was suitable Doctor Who shlock and I liked the presentation including Capaldis soliloquy to camera.

It will interesting how the Good Dalek avenger is going to play out in future....

Last edited:

Remove ads