The official 2015 Doctor Who (with spoilers for aired episodes only) thread

Richards

Legend
At least she still looks like herself...and didn't mutate into something like the Face of Boe. (I'm still kind of fuzzy about just how that happened.)

Johnathan

At least she still looks like herself...and didn't mutate into something like the Face of Boe. (I'm still kind of fuzzy about just how that happened.)

Johnathan

i saw the best theory about that...so Dorium Maldovar gave River Song vortex manipulator that was, according to him, "fresh off the wrist of a handsome Time Agent" and he has been known to work with the headless monks who tend to behead others, And when they behead someone, the head survives. So at some point Jack had a run in with the Headless monks lol

MarkB

Legend
Farewell River.

Not one of the best Christmas episodes, but it was a nice enough romp, and it did finally close the loop on the time-twisting story of River Song. I'm tempted to go watch Silence in the Library again now, but I think I'd rather just take this as the end of the tale.

Staffan

Legend
I have to say, with this season Moffat definitely leveled up. The only episode this season that I thought was bad was Sleep No More - sure, there were instances of silliness/dumbness here and there, but nothing I couldn't just accept as part of the show.

And the final trio of episodes, plus the Christmas special... they've been completely awesome. It might have been the lack of a distinctive "metaplot" for the season that made it great - in pretty much all the previous Moffat seasons, you've had season-long plots that are set up in episode 1, explored over the course of the season, and then resolved in the season finale. Season 5 had the Cracks in Time, Season 6 the Doctor's Murder and the Silence, Season 7 had the Many Lives of Clara Oswald (and suffered from being split over two years), and Season 8 had Missy in Heaven.

I mean, sure, there have been setups in earlier episodes. The Confession Dial was planted in episode 1, and you had Ashildr/Me in several episodes. But she was more of a recurring character than a plot device.

Now, the over-arching plot is nothing that Moffat started - Davies had Bad Wolf in season 1, Torchwood in season 2, Harold Saxon/the Master in season 3, and disappearing planets/the Darkness in season 4. But I think that particular bit is something that Moffat's not as good as Davies at, and I think this season has (hopefully) shown that he understands that and will avoid it in the future.

And of course, a lot of the credit for the season goes to Peter Capaldi, who has shown that he's more than a pair of eyebrows. I hope he'll be staying on for a long time.

Ryujin

Legend
In this season the overarching plot was how Clara was flying off the rails, The Doctor along with her. Not as obvious as in previous seasons, but definitely there, and resolved in the final episode. Sort of. The Doctor doesn't like endings and neither does Mr. Moffat.

I liked the Christmas episode. Turn off brain and engage adrenaline. A typical running Doctor episode.

I rather enjoyed this christmas special, and found the abrupt change in tone worked very well (that contrast made me more invested in the final moments of the episode).

Staffan

Legend
Well, maybe-not-really. The night on that planet is 20+ years long, remember.

I think it was pretty clear that the Doctor spent those 24 years there with her, left, and then she took the Library job. She mentioned that her diary was nearing its end, and he gave her the sonic screwdriver from that episode.

Remove ads