D&D 5E Monks making HALO jumps

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
So here's the deal, a 20th level monk jumps off of a flying object, lets say its a flying carpet Empty Body allows him resistance to all damage but Force so he takes 20d6/2. Due to slow fall he then gets to reduce the damage by 100 points. When he hits the ground he's invisible for 1 minute.

It is just me or are monks actually SpecOps HALO jumpers.

Beleriphon

My initial thought was a bunch of monks dropping out of the sky to murder face something from above. The image amused me to no end since the monks by default are wearing normal clothes as they tuck and roll to take no damage from 10,000 foot falls. I found the idea immensely amusing.... out there somewhere there's a kingdom with SpecOps corps of monks that literally fall into battle.

Paraxis

Explorer
Barbarians rage at the ground, and their anger keeps them safe too.

Level 6 barbarian with 16 con has 65 h.p, max falling is 20d6/2 so 10-60 damage, he picks himself up and goes into a blood craze.

I like the idea of jumping from low orbit and standing up, doing a jig afterwards.

The only hit point that matters is the last 1.

raleel

Explorer
Monks have been like this for a long time. Back in Arcana Evolved, the Oathsworn had a crapton of immunities and made excellent message carriers. Literally run at 60mph without sleep forever. I love this image of the monk - a SpecOp guy

Does the slow fall ability no longer require you to be within reach of a wall to actually slow your fall?

In any case, empty body is just magic, so it's not even weird that they can pull off some superhuman stuff like this.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Eh. The vast majority of people I know never play their PCs up to 18th+ level and/or spend the vast majority of their gaming time below level 18, so these types of conversations are just fun discussion topics and nothing more. That's why I find them somewhat misleading as well. The title makes it seem like most monks would have these abilities, when the reality is that a whole lot of special circumstances have to apply. So really, most monks in actual play can't do this stuff.

Beleriphon

Does the slow fall ability no longer require you to be within reach of a wall to actually slow your fall?

In any case, empty body is just magic, so it's not even weird that they can pull off some superhuman stuff like this.

Nope, I think it takes Ki point though. I just though it was hilarious that monks could pull off naked HALO jumps. It just seemed so hardcore.

Cernor

Explorer
A Way of the Shadow monk falling at night can take no damage from any fall after level 6 with Shadow Step... Provided the DM rules that teleportation cancels momentum (which I don't know if there's a rule for).

Remove ads