D&D 5E 5e CB's Stonefast OOC -- COMPLETE

Forged Fury

First Post
Stonefast Map

Updated Map. The room key is below in case anyone is confused.

Stonefast.jpg

1. Entry
2. Entry w/Logbook
3. Roscoe's Room
4. The Market Room
5. The Bee Room/Father Spec's Room
6. The Dragon Tracks Room
7. Office
8. The Church Coffers Room
9. Stage/Conference Room

We're currently in Room 3, checking for secret doors and stuff.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
(I am putting this here in the OOC thread because there are a lot of things that I realize Guran does not know.)

More OOC stuff regarding the stone chest in the northeast hidden room:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Guran can picks locks. However, Guran also is fearful of alchemy--partly because he doesn't understand it.

As far as Guran knows, that dead mouse behind the stone chest could just as easily have been killed with Thunder damage, then varnished on its underside and laid by hand behind the stone chest, in order to fool any thieves into thinking that the chest is covered with a contact poison. (The room was sealed by a well-fitting stone door that would not have let a mouse in.)

The dwarves of Stonefast were rumored to be alchemists of an unfavorable repute. They founded Stonefast in order to continue their researches, which were abhored (or at least disliked) by the rest of the dwarves. Did the dwarves of Stonefast invent an instant-paralyzation gas that can be applied as a liquid, and only detonates when lit?

Did the dwarves of Stonefast invent a high-explosive (comparable to the power of "C-4" nitroamine plastique) that can be applied to the lids of chests? Guran has heard that they were expert alchemists, but he doesn't know whether they saved their best potions to protect their deepest secrets. He also doesn't know whether that stone chest holds their deepest secrets, or whether they would have cached such stuff far into the depths of their settlement.

Guran does know that if the material atop the stone chest does detonate, the blast will catch everybody who is in the hidden room with it: Colden, Fulgrim, and Spec.

Guran probably does not know that Fulgrim knows the Fire Bolt cantrip, which could light the material atop the chest at a distance, through the (open) hidden doorway from the room where Roscoe was hiding.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Edit to add: From a purely metagaming point of view, I'm trying to share the spotlight a bit: it was Guran's search that found the hidden door, and Guran's Perception that located the lid coating and the mouse, so it would be more interesting to me for him to step back a bit and let the rest of the party do more here.

Last edited:

This is positively, absolutely, brilliantly paranoid. If I instilled this level of paranoia in you, my very fine players, then I've done a bang-up job as DM. I'm not, however, entirely certain I can claim credit to that level of DM wickedness? I freely admit to fantasizing as late as this morning about the multitude of ways I could jack around with all kinds of devious time-sensitive traps, but hadn't (to date) implemented said traps. Hope this helps in your decision making!

Forged Fury

First Post
The dwarves of Stonefast were rumored to be alchemists of an unfavorable repute.
I love the rationalizations, my D20 Modern character in CB's other game is all about rationalizing his cowardice. Just wondering where the above came from... did I miss this information somewhere?

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I love the rationalizations, my D20 Modern character in CB's other game is all about rationalizing his cowardice. Just wondering where the above came from... did I miss this information somewhere?
In case you forgot: It came from the background that you, yourself, wrote for Fulgrim. Here's the relevant passage:
"In studying the various recipes for ale and other liquid pleasantries, Fulgrim uncovered several magical formula for potions which caught his attention. In researching these formulae, he discovered that a number of Ironfist clansmen had left the clan years before to pursue the study of alchemical and magical liquids, a practice that was frowned upon by the Ironfist Clan. The last known location of this band of pariahs was Stonefast, a dwarven outpost located in the Spine of the World. In addition to his discovery of this secret history, Fulgrim found a spellbook and crystal arcane focus left behind by the dwarven wizards."

Edit to add: If I were to use a chest as a bomb, and have the top covered with a liquid potion to detonate that bomb, I would leave a trail of that liquid leading down to the keyhole -- and all the way through the keyhole to the material inside the chest, so it would act as a fuse.

Check CB's description again: the coating does go down and into the keyhole.

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
All that really says is that the Ironfist dwarves found a refuge in Stonefast, not that the Stonefast dwarves were alchemists of ill repute. But I guess if Guran is paranoid, it probably doesn't matter.

ETA: I actually did remember my character's background, I was wondering if you were conflating the two.

Remove ads