Childhood's End

Dog Moon

Adventurer
It looks okay. I might check it out since it's just a miniseries, but for some reason "Aliens land and want to help Earth but have a hidden agenda" just doesn't really interest me all that much. But I do like the fact that apparently the Aliens are invisible or something.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It looks okay. I might check it out since it's just a miniseries, but for some reason "Aliens land and want to help Earth but have a hidden agenda" just doesn't really interest me all that much.

To be clear, Arthur C. Clarke's original story was written in 1953. So, if it seems cliche to you, it may help to realize that this is the original from which the cliche came.

darjr

I crit!
And if I remember there is a twist. That simplified plot isn't all there is to it. And no, they were not invisible.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
To be clear, Arthur C. Clarke's original story was written in 1953. So, if it seems cliche to you, it may help to realize that this is the original from which the cliche came.

That makes sense. I had never actually heard of it before now.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
And if I remember there is a twist. That simplified plot isn't all there is to it. And no, they were not invisible.

Well, I don't know exactly what they are. If they're not invisible, then they're something else and that could be even more interesting!

All I know is from what I could see - or not see! - in the preview. :)

tomBitonti

Adventurer
The aliens didn't show themselves until well after the initial meeting, if I remember correctly, because they looked like Devils.

I thought this was a weak point of the story. I don't see how it advances the main story, which I understood to be a kind of transcendence.

I thought the strong points were the notes of loss together with a largely unexplained transition.

Thx,

TomB

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
The aliens didn't show themselves until well after the initial meeting, if I remember correctly, because they looked like Devils.

I thought this was a weak point of the story. I don't see how it advances the main story, which I understood to be a kind of transcendence.

I thought the strong points were the notes of loss together with a largely unexplained transition.

Thx,

TomB

Never read the book, but I would understand why he made them look like devils. Many humans won't follow the teachings and promises of entities that look like devils, even if they come with good intentions because some humans believe in supersitions. Adds drama is this is what Clarke was going for.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Ah, the trailer seems focused on the part of the story that Clarke leaves out: The transition from the old race to the new race.

In the book, the intermediate events occur out of picture, with a direct witness only at the very beginning and at the very end.

Darn it, now I'm going to have to go back and re-read it and see how much meshes with the trailer.

Not too happy with Sy-Fy in general, so I'm pessimistic about the show. But, that is a very biased outlook, since I really really don't like the channel in its present form.

Thx!

TomB

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases