D&D 5E [OOC] Securing the Alliance: An Adventure in Tethyr [ENDED]

Forged Fury

First Post
IC | RG

Better Map of Tethyr.jpg

Opening up the OOC thread. Obviously, this is for out-of-character discussion. If you have questions about something going on in the game, the preference is that you ask them here. I'll check both threads regularly.

For rolls, please post them in the IC thread in an OOC block.

[sblock]You can hide it in one of these if you want. If you have a lot of information in an OOC block, it might be preferable if you do that.[/sblock]

With that said, if you forget a roll, just jump to the OOC thread and post it here, indicating that you forgot to include one. Should help to streamline the IC thread somewhat.

Last edited:

When the site is super slow, which happens for me sometimes during weekday evenings, would it be ok to post a forgotten roll in the IC? Switching threads, or even having multiple browser windows open during "404" periods is iffy, IME.

Thx. Though I will post forgotten rolls in the OOC whenever possible, which, really, should be nearly always even when the site is sluggish. A clean IC is a Good and Desirable Thing.

Egon

First Post
Boddynock is ready to go. And by ready, I mean "I'm looking forward to CB having nightmares thanks to my inclusion in the group".

I posted Brue last night, but I want a chance to look her over one more time before pulling the trigger on DM review. I'm betting there are math errors on her sheet that I'm unaware of, and I won't be happy until I've edited out those.

Forged Fury

First Post
I've also been working on some of the House Rules and Interpretations for the game. They're contained over in this discussion. If you have any questions about them, or would like me to proactively consider a question about a tactic you are thinking of employing, please ask it here in the OOC thread. Once we get it worked out, I'll update or edit the House Rules & Interpretations Discussion.

Egon

First Post
While this doesn't apply to me directly, I do have a question about something in the PHB. Page 84:

Great Weapon Fighting said:
When you roll a 1 or a 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.

Now, this is an ability of the Paladin that they gain at 2nd level. And while none of us are currently Paladins, the possibility does exist that someone may at some point MC into one. And so, I have the following question(s) about this. For the sake of argument, let's assume the use of a Great Sword, which does 2d6 damage.

1. Does the phrase "damage die" apply to each single die in the roll, or to the overall set of dice?
2. If single die, does the ability allow the re-roll of only one of the dice thrown, or would you be allowed to re-roll both dice if they both came up 1s or 2s? Say you rolled 2d6 and ended up with a pair of 1s; do you re-roll both 1s, or only one of them?
3. If the phrase means the overall set of dice, do you then re-roll the entire set if one of them comes up a 1 or a 2? Or do you still only re-roll the one die that came up a 1 or 2? Or does the overall result have to be a 2, 3, or 4 (indicating any combination of 1s and 2s on the dice)?

I know that we are a long ways off from someone MCing into Paladin 2. But there may be other situations where the phrase "die" comes up but the individual (PC or NPC) in question has multiple dice that they are throwing at that point. I had this question come up in a game I'm running elsewhere, and while I know how I ruled on it, I'd like to get your take as well.

To be clear, I did check the Sage Advice column, and this isn't addressed. I could have sworn it was, but I didn't see it again when I checked this morning. Then again, I am blind before I've had more than 3 cups of coffee, so that may be why I didn't see it.

hafrogman

Adventurer
As far as I'm aware the game is pretty clear with the die/dice distinction.
Roll 2d6 (dice)
Results come up 1,5
One die came up 1, so reroll that die, keep the 5.

Results come up 1,2
A die came up 1, reroll that die.
A die came up 2, reroll that die.

So it's an ability that is most advantageous on the greatsword, but still only comes up to be about 1.33 extra damage per swing (compare to duelist, +2 damage). Bru does have this ability from Fighter Weapon Style.

Remove ads