Star Wars 5th edition

famouswolfe

Explorer
So just wanted to let the entire world know that I am working on a port of Star Wars Saga Edition to full blown 5th edition rules using WotC's latest RPG ruleset. Yes, you read that right, I'm doing an updated Star Wars RPG!! So far I've completed Chapters 1 & 2, which discuss how to create a character along with the various alien species in the Star Wars universe. Right now I'm working on the heroic classes, redesigning all of them from the ground up using D&D 5th edition standards. Currently finishing up the Jedi class and will move on to the Noble class soon enough. Download links will be posted once my work is finished (or at least in a playable state). Any ideas or feedback are certainly welcomed. Thanks everyone, may the Force be with you!

Update:
Pre-Alpha release! See my latest post however know that this is only a super pre-alpha release and is NOT what the final product will look like.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Ig2q5DSn-OMm9uR19IOEZNVGs

Last edited:

fjw70

Adventurer
I look forward to see what you come up with. I wasn't a huge fan of Saga since I really liked 4e and Saga was too much like 3.5 for my tastes, but I really like the 5e rules.

I would say make sure you keep feats optional and not required for SW play.

famouswolfe

Explorer
I look forward to see what you come up with. I wasn't a huge fan of Saga since I really liked 4e and Saga was too much like 3.5 for my tastes, but I really like the 5e rules.

I would say make sure you keep feats optional and not required for SW play.

Hey thanks for the feedback! I am completely over-hauling the class design in Saga edition. The talent system is being thrown out and feats will be optional, just like they are in D&D 5th edition. Instead, each class will have access to certain key abilities and later will be granted options for customization. For example, all Jedi have the ability to do things that we know all Jedi can do (such as deflect blaster shots or gain short bursts of speed). However, Jedi will be able to choose different force powers, lightsaber combat styles, and will have to choose if they wish to become Consulars, Guardians, or Sentinels, each path granting its own unique abilities and powers. Overall, I have a feeling that if you're a fan of 5th edition then you'll love what I'm doing.

fjw70

Adventurer
Sounds good.

EDIT: Are you expecting this game to be compatible with regular 5e? I am thinking more about whether you can use D&D monsters with it.

Last edited:

famouswolfe

Explorer
Sounds good.

EDIT: Are you expecting this game to be compatible with regular 5e? I am thinking more about whether you can use D&D monsters with it.

Good question. Honestly, I don't think it'll be directly compatible however I expect that a decent GM could make it work. Allow me to elaborate. D&D is based on the assumption that there is magic in the world. Your characters have access to magic spells and there are plenty of magic items to boot. In Star Wars, there isn't any magic, only the Force, which is very different. A basic blaster rifle deals 3d8 damage, or even more if auto fire is used. I'm not trying to re-skin D&D to space-age D&D if you will, but update Star Wars Saga Edition to the latest iteration of WotC's ruleset. If you're familiar w/ 5th edition you will find my revision of SWSE to be very similar. Having said that, the core rulebook will include plenty of enemies to fight, and I may port over SW: Threats of the Galaxy (SWSE's equivalent of the Monster Manual) depending on circumstances.

famouswolfe

Explorer
How are you handling defenses?

Same as 5th edition. There's Defense (armor class) then your other saving throws like normal. If you get hit with a Force power then you make a saving throw against a DC of 8 + proficiency bonus + ability modifier etc. Wearing armor will boost your defense however some classes like Jedi won't need to wear armor. Surprisingly it all works out very well. When I say I don't think it'll be directly compatible w/ the monster manual, I mean in terms of HP and challenge rating etc. Figure that a 1st level character armed with a blaster pistol can deal 3d6 damage. In D&D a 1st level character will deal at most around 2d6 damage from wielding a greatsword or other massive weapon. Later on, D&D characters become able to deal & withstand more damage with magic weapons, magic items, spells, multiple attacks, and class features so they can take on dragons toe-to-toe. SW characters won't get magical weapons/items/spells. They'll get similar class features maybe but that's about it. So like I said, if a DM is good at adjusting things like HP on the fly (most DMs can do this), then there shouldn't be any issue pulling monsters from the MM and plopping them down in a SW campaign.

fjw70

Adventurer
If I remember in Saga there wasn't a AC like defense. Didn't armor add to reflex? And you had the option of adding level or armor bonus to reflex. Will your PCs be able to add prof bonus to defense instead of armor bonus?

Also will 1st level PCs have more hp than 5e PCs?

famouswolfe

Explorer
If I remember in Saga there wasn't a AC like defense. Didn't armor add to reflex? And you had the option of adding level or armor bonus to reflex. Will your PCs be able to add prof bonus to defense instead of armor bonus?

Also will 1st level PCs have more hp than 5e PCs?

You are correct, in Star Wars Saga there wasn't AC, your reflex defense was both your AC and your saving throw against any effect that required you to nimbly dodge out of the way. And yes, reflex defense was calculated either by the armor you wore or your character level. As for AC in my revision, you can wear armor or you can choose to go for unarmored defense. For example, a Jedi adds his Wisdom modifier to his Defense (AC) as long as he isn't wearing armor. A Scoundrel adds Intelligence modifier for unarmored defense, a Noble gets Charisma modifier for unarmored defense etc.

I'm not sure adding prof bonus to AC is such a good idea. Remember that prof bonus affects your ability to attack. So if prof bonus measures both your attack and your defense, it cancels itself out. A 1st level character with a +2 prof bonus and a Dex score of 14 would have an AC of 10 + prof bonus + Dex modifier, or 14. His attack bonus would be prof bonus + ability modifier (Dex for using blasters for example) or +4. His AC and attack bonus would increase periodically but so would the enemy's attack and defense bonus increase by the same. Throughout the entire game, from level 1-20, he would need to roll a 10 to hit his enemies, and they would only need to roll a 10 to hit him. That equals out to a static 50% chance of hitting or being hit by something through the entire game. That gets boring way fast. The only thing that would make a difference here is if the character increases his Dexterity score.

Also, yes Star Wars PCs have more starting HP than 5E PCs. They get 3x their hit die + Con modifier at 1st level. So a Jedi or a Soldier starting out has 30 + Con modifier hit points. Sounds like a lot, but when you factor in blasters that deal 3d6 damage or rifles that deal 3d8 damage it equals out.

Edit: Remember though that none of what I'm doing is set in stone. Subject to feedback from play testing, we can change the rules to suit us better.

Last edited:

fjw70

Adventurer
The prof bonus being added to attacks and defense canceling each other out assumes that you are always fighting something of the same level. My thought behind adding the prof bonus was that you shouldn't need armor or high dex to have a decent defense but if each class will be using a primary stat to add to defense then I guess that works too.

If you have it worked out how are you doing lightsaber deflecting and reflecting of blaster bolts?

Remove ads