Interested in Star Wars RPG - Where do I start?

delericho

Legend
I'd like to read the Star Wars RPG books and learn the system. There's little chance that I will actually play the game, but I'd still like to read up on it. I love Star Wars and RPGs, so the chance to combine the two is almost too good to pass up. Where should I start?

For the current version of the RPG, you probably want the Beginner game for either "Edge of the Empire" or "Age of Rebellion". I haven't tried either, so can't comment on quality, but for the official game that's probably your best bet.

Alternately, there are loads of Star Wars mods for various games out there, so you could simply choose your favourite system and consult Google, which will quickly turn something up. And sure, you won't get setting info, but let's face it - it's Star Wars; you already know the setting.

(I wouldn't bother trying to track down the old d6 version of the game or SWSE for that same reason - although they're both good games, they're also getting hard to find and therefore pricey. Why pay all that money, when you could instead just use a mod for "d6 Space" or "Savage Worlds" instead?)

aramis erak

Legend
For the current version of the RPG, you probably want the Beginner game for either "Edge of the Empire" or "Age of Rebellion". I haven't tried either, so can't comment on quality, but for the official game that's probably your best bet.

Alternately, there are loads of Star Wars mods for various games out there, so you could simply choose your favourite system and consult Google, which will quickly turn something up. And sure, you won't get setting info, but let's face it - it's Star Wars; you already know the setting.

(I wouldn't bother trying to track down the old d6 version of the game or SWSE for that same reason - although they're both good games, they're also getting hard to find and therefore pricey. Why pay all that money, when you could instead just use a mod for "d6 Space" or "Savage Worlds" instead?)

d6 space needs no mods - just the templates from any prior edition. It is, in almost every way, best described as "d6 Star Wars, 3rd Edition"

delericho

Legend
d6 space needs no mods - just the templates from any prior edition.

"Mod" as in "module", not as in "modification". And the contents of said module would be... templates similar to those from any prior edition. Bear in mind that we're talking about a new player here - he doesn't have access to those old-edition books.

aramis erak

Legend
"Mod" as in "module", not as in "modification". And the contents of said module would be... templates similar to those from any prior edition. Bear in mind that we're talking about a new player here - he doesn't have access to those old-edition books.

Even the templates are not really needed. It's still 18d of attributes, 7d of skills. The force was simply renamed psionics - it's the same mechanics right down the line. One of the sample ships is even dangerously close to a YT-1300...

bone_naga

Explorer
I don't know what the legality of it is but I'm not referring to searching piratebay for torrents.

Mod Edit: Link removed has all the old WEG stuff on their site.

Mod Edit: Link removed has a lot of fan-made d6 stuff.

Mod Note: EN World does not support copyright violation. If you don't know for sure that the link is legal, please don't post it. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

aramis erak

Legend
I don't know what the legality of it is but I'm not referring to searching piratebay for torrents.

Mod Edit: Link removed has all the old WEG stuff on their site.

Mod Edit: Link removed has a lot of fan-made d6 stuff.

Everything by WEG for Star Wars is ©Lucasfilm... and unless LFL gave explicit permission, they're pirates. It's no different than a torrent except that they actually pay for hosting.

The fan stuff is another matter.

The shortest copyright term within the Bern convention is, IIRC, 50 years. Most members have upped it to life+50 years. And corporations don't die as long as they have a legal existance.

Abandonware has no legal basis, either - it's piracy, pure and simple.

Mod Note: If you are gong to point out to folks that their links aren't legal, it is best not to include those links in the post quote - 'cause to remove it we have to edit each post individually. Thanks. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads