[IC] SWS/DnD5, Star Wars the Old Republic – A Gathering Darkness

GreenKarl

First Post
The explosive rips the five remaining droids to pieces and after the dust settles Cal sees nothing else moving there (at the top of the stairs).

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
The itch can now be scratched: the gand rushes out under cover of the explosion, armored boots pounding the strange ground of the no-man's land, weaving a bit to avoid the fall of flaming debris.

OOC: Full move across, pressing his/her back to the side of the portal (cover), ammonia breather working harder, and peeking inside if he makes it there.

GreenKarl

First Post
This Gand made his/her way across the open space to take cover by a pillar near the base of the stairs. No shots were fired and Cal spotting no hidden movement from the top of the stairs. The way seemed to be clear...

Forged Fury

First Post

Seeing the Gand clear the space without incident, Cal nodded and said, "Let's move! If they aren't shooting at us, they're probably deep into their world-ending plans. I'll cover everyone else, but keep going when you hit the stairs. I'll be right behind you."

Sezarious

Explorer

Jihahna frowns a moment at Kacela's words. The blast goes off, then as the last hot pieces of shrapnel fall about her, she speaks again. "When I was a Merc, I never had to deal with Jedi or Sith values, but I WAS taught about the values most commonly instilled in law enforcement personnel in their training. Mostly to help deal with the better disciplined, more resilient forces you find on core worlds.

One lessen in particular they had to learn about regarding corruption revolves around a metaphor known as the 'slippery slope'.

Sometimes, one mistake is all it takes for an officer to start slipping more and more. To utilise this for manipulation, a criminal has several options, bribery, threats, blackmail, but I was taught that the best way to encourage this is with subtle compromise.

Encourage them to make compromises SO small, they would barley seem to matter at all, then escalate things from there.

An example where an officer may think they are completely doing the right thing may be through over-use of force... First it starts with an unjust shove of a prisoner here and there, then eventually as things get progressively worse, they decide that the criminal who beat an old lady to death for 12 creds deserves a beating in return.

A controversial view, right? I know several people who might agree the officer did a justice, despite abusing his power. The problem in my mind isn't that he chose to do it, rather, it's that he felt it was right thing to do before he made his choice. In a way, his prior belief had already predetermined or at the very least, significantly influenced his choice due to his anger and cynicism.

I guess what I'm saying is, like the officer, what if some people who fall to the dark side don't know it's happening to them because they don't believe their choices to be dark?

I mean... I guess I'm asking this because I was there once myself.... Can a powerful force wielder with all that amplified emotion be saved? Do the Jedi ever attempt to bring some back to the light? I've got so many questions about their, I mean OUR ways and I just know some of them will probably make everyone from Younglings through to Masters cringe..."

She stops a moment looking a little uncomfortable. "I don't believe this myself, but if one of the Jedi mantras is that all life is Sacred, doesn't that include the Sith? Any Jedi who doesn't try to adhere to that would probably be seen as a hypocrite by a Sith warrior, only widening the gap... Because just as my boss liked to corrupt authorities to gain power, i'm betting the Sith love to rake the Jedi name through the mud as much as possible."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Kacela nods.

"You're right. I'm not explaining it very well. It's a little hard to concentrate at the moment." She smiles. "But yes, the Dark Side is not a firm line, but a path. Not one monumental choice, but a series of choices. And those choices start out very small, very innocent seeming."

"As for all life being sacred...some Jedi do feel that way, but not all. What I learned was that, in the Force, all life is linked. Is in some way one. If I injure another living being, I am harming all other life as well, including myself, even if only in a small way. So the harm I do to another being must be weighed against the harm that being is doing. It's not something we can quantify though, or extract numbers for. This is why a Jedi must trust their feelings and intuition, and try to listen to the will of the Force."

"Just...these are questions that the Order doesn't have a doctrine on, beyond the simple observation that the Force links all life. Different Jedi masters have their own interpretations, which don't always agree on the details. Some Jedi follow a pacifist path. Far more try to intervene, to limit or contain the damage that other people, in their pain and ignorance, can cause."

Kacela reaches out to squeeze Jihahna's shoulder. "The good news is that because the Dark Side is a path, made of a string of choices...it can be turned away from, by changing the choices you make. In practice, this is very hard, and some masters say that there is a point of no return. I don't believe that's true though. Certainly each step on that path makes returning more difficult...but if there is a will to change, I believe it can be done."

Last edited:

GreenKarl

First Post
The team moved across the open space without incident, still discussing the Force. Targo just shock his head and said "Light and Dark, good and evil, all too much for Targo. Get a job, get credits, don't be an a-hole to others, try nots to do too much collateral damage and retire to some nice desert pleasure world to live out the rest of your days when your eyesight is too bad to shot straight. That's Targo's life choices." Thirteen mutter about being disinterested by all these nasty droids and then Cal made his way over to rejoin the team.

Slowly advancing up the stairs the team came upon the destroyed droids. Six large labor models, it was unclear what them might be doing here. Jihahna then remember that she herself had thought about cutting out the giant crystal that housed the evil spirit of the ancient Rakata in the cave some days ago. These droids might have been strong enough to carry such crystals. As many as six...Past the destroyed droids there was a wide tunnel-hallway that lead into the blue glowing crystal pyramid.

Sezarious

Explorer
Jihahna smiles warmly at Kacela. "Kacela, with such a positive outlook as yours... You could probably nearly convince a Hutt to give up their riches and take up a vow of poverty".

She also surprises herself with a small giggle at Targo's comments. "Don't try to bluff us big guy! You've got a heart of gold, it's just been a little tarnished by life's hardships.

The thing is, you do your best to keep your heart polished. Others will happily sell theirs for a pack of death-sticks. Not me though, I don't smoke."

She finishes with a smile before gazing upon the crystal... "Hmm... we have to be careful about using the force now that we're near this thing again..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shayuri

First Post
"Hurry, but stay alert. I doubt that the Sith entrusted their security to nothing more than a handful of droids," Kacela puts in as she joins Cal and the Gand.

(OOC - Did Kacela get a sense of where the Sith were, relative to us, when she did her force sense?)

GreenKarl

First Post
GM: Oh a general "area" of where the dark side users where... forward of where you are now...

Cautiously, with weapons draw, the team moved into the board hallway that bore into the side of the crystal pyramid. The illumination from the glow of the crystal itself seem to dim as shadows cloak the way ahead. After twenty or so meters down the hallway, it opens into a hollowed out chamber with stone steps leading down into main area below (ooc - it is only about 5 meters down to the lower floor and the ceiling is about 20 meters above you).

The chamber contained numerous strange and exotic small building like structures, spread about a floating sphere. Strange lights and flashes where flicker within this sphere, growing brighter and flashing more often as they watched, almost as if a glowrod was slowly powering on. There were also flashing of lightning-like energy from the sphere arching out randomly into the nearby structures.

No beings could be seen within the area but the strange structures could well block the teams view...

[sblock=the Infinity Gate Sphere] InfinityGate.jpg
It is about 10 meters across and floating about 2 meters off the ground[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases