[OOC] Star Wars - Interlude IV: The Detritus of Destiny

Forged Fury

First Post
This is the issue I had. Unless Leif provides a translation for me, how can I know what the Wookiee is saying?
That's part of the conceit that Leif will have to be willing to accept. You're basically going to be coming up with whatever you want him to have explicitly said, effectively putting words in his mouth. Really, the only time this will come up is when Mack verbally responds to what Krallaton says. Let's look at Leif's first post:

A trifle impatient, Krallatan says, "Hawwaan?" as he indicates an effervescent blue drink on the menu board above the bar. Krallatan is no exception to the rule that wookies like to have their noses tickled by the bubbles.

I think everyone can figure out through non-verbal queues and context that Krallatan ordered the blue drink. Since Mack knows exactly what the wookie said, which is whatever you decide Krallatan said, he could respond with something like:

Chuckling, Mack replied, "I don't know Krall, I think you've got more than enough hair on your chest."

The implication for the rest of the party is that Krallatan explicitly said something along the lines of:

"I'll have one of those blue drinks. I hear it puts hair on your chest."

This is basically the dynamic used in the movies for all alien speech: comprehension without explication.

Just remember that everyone understands Krallatan on a functional level, so it's really only there for RP purposes.
[MENTION=48762]Leif[/MENTION] What are your thoughts? Would this set-up work for you?

Leif

Adventurer
Even though I've already weighed in as GM, I'll reiterate that I don't have a problem with what you are doing, Leif. In fact, I think it is more in-line with the cinematic aspect of the movies where they opted to not use subtitles for alien languages in the theaters. The roars and whines Krallaton is making are Shryyiiwook. Mack understands 100% of what he is saying with the others having a basic grasp. With that said, I think it fair that the other characters be able to come up with their own interpretation of Krallaton's untranslated dialogue and react to it as they see fit, basically how Han does in the movies.

That's perfect!

It is that particular shade of blue that hurts my eyes and I cannot read. It is one of the default colors and does not show up with the dark background for some reason. Any lighter shade works fine. Orange, yellow, cyan, lime, red, etc..

Is light blue ok?

This is the issue I had. Unless Leif provides a translation for me, how can I know what the Wookiee is saying?

Make something up if you want to. The funnier, the better.

That's part of the conceit that Leif will have to be willing to accept.
Just remember that [while only Mack understands him 100%,] everyone understands Krallatan on a functional level, so it's really only there for RP purposes. Leif What are your thoughts? Would this set-up work for you?

That's great! Exactly what I was hoping for. I just didn't know how to express it.

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
StealthvPerception.jpg

Holding action for now pending Mack's reaction to the rodians leaving.

Forged Fury

First Post
[MENTION=88649]perrinmiller[/MENTION] I assume Mack is going to attempt to shadow the rodians without being spotted? From what I can tell, that will be a Stealth vs. Perception roll. In this case, Mack has Agility 3/Stealth 1. The rodians have Cunning 3/Perception 1. I'm also going to grant a boost die for you due to the rodians focusing on following Arsinoe rather than checking their tail. That would be a final pool of : Two ability (Green), One proficiency (yellow), one boost (blue), two difficulty (purple), and one challenge (red).

Let me know if you want to spend a destiny point here.

I've got a busy day today and there are a lot of different things now that the party is split into three. I may not get an IC post up until tomorrow. Thanks!

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Shadowing the Rodians, really depends on which direction they go. If they are heading towards Arsinoe, yes then I suppose he is following them. If they don't then he would head towards the chocolate shop.
Not planning to use a Destiny point either way.

Forged Fury

First Post
Mack's stealth check:

StealthPer.jpg

Success. Mack picks out the four rodians tailing Arsinoe and can easily get the drop on them if it comes to it. They have no idea he is following them.

I'll try to get something up today, but it may not be until tomorrow. With the test a success, you are all welcome to push the narrative along if you would like. The rodians successfully track Arsinoe to the chocolate shop, but have setup outside of it, covering most of the avenues of escape. There is a service corridor where they have no one posted. With his successes, Mack can slip into the chocolate shop without the rodians registering him as anyone of concern or consequence.

Forged Fury

First Post
Mack's Perception Roll:

MackPer.jpg

No successes, but an advantage. Mack doesn't spot anything that may lead to an easy distraction, but he will gain a boost die for whatever he decides to do from carefully examining the area.

Arsinoe's Stealth Check:

Arsinoe Stealth.jpg

Neutral result, which is a failure. The rodians still have a bead on her location.

I'll get an IC post up during my lunch break.

Remove ads