D&D 5E The Light of Civilization - A 5e Renaissance Story [OOC]

Shayuri

First Post
Jago, would you be open to developing a unique sorcerous origin, or would you be more comfortable if I stuck with published ones?

Jago

Explorer
Just throwing out there that for a game that looks like it will be dealing with the underworld as much as courtly intrigue, it's never a bad idea to have more than 1 person that can talk >.>

Jago, would you be open to developing a unique sorcerous origin, or would you be more comfortable if I stuck with published ones?

Hm. Well, tell me what you had in mind, and let's see. It's a bit more work but it's something I wouldn't mind putting in (if everyone else would be okay with this).

Last edited:

Thateous

Explorer
Honesty Bomb Incoming
In an effort to diversify my knowledge as a player I placed a restriction on myself to play every class once before picking whatever I want. I'm down to the final 2, Barbarian and Sorcerer. Admittedly neither one seems all that appropriate for this game. I'd love to go Sorcerer, but low-magic is somewhat of a turn-off unless we turn this into a chase the rogue magic users. What's an honest man to do...

Jago

Explorer
Honesty Bomb Incoming
In an effort to diversify my knowledge as a player I placed a restriction on myself to play every class once before picking whatever I want. I'm down to the final 2, Barbarian and Sorcerer. Admittedly neither one seems all that appropriate for this game. I'd love to go Sorcerer, but low-magic is somewhat of a turn-off unless we turn this into a chase the rogue magic users. What's an honest man to do...

Honestly again, both are quite appropriate: Barbarian does not just mean super savage warrior, and can be played in a plethora of ways: Mercenari, Noble Guard, duelist, performer, shamanistic leader, follower of the Old Gods, Templar of The Maker, etc., etc., etc.
Your rage can be religious fervor, supreme focus and concentration, pure panache and joie de vivre to the point of being carefree about all danger, and so on.

And having 2 Sorcerers from 2 different backgrounds and 2 different Archetypes, with their own spells and metamagics and so on, can be played completely differently. Not to mention the Low-Magic doesn't mean magic is any less powerful, just that spellcasters are much more rare, meaning Sorcerers are super special. Any caster is, essentially.

It all boils down to that if you want to play, I'm more than happy to have you and any character concept you'd like. If you are restricting yourself to certain classes out of a desire to "catch 'em all" so to speak, I am 100% happy to find a way to work with those restrictions to create a character you want to play.

Again, we are building the Setting together: nothing is set in marble, so if you feel your concept does not feel "all that appropriate" for this setting, change the setting. You want to include some refuge of Dwarves in the mountains who refuse to join the City-States are quite happy with their independent, archaic ways? We can do it. You want to have like a gladiatorial style arena where your character is a renown performer due to his ferocity? We can do it. You want to play a Sorcerer? We can do it.

pathfinderq1

First Post
I will be going duellist, what are your plans?

Since that gives us another melee candidate, I might take up the archer role. We will see- still in first stage of concepts.

TO ALL: I will be pretty quiet for a few days- I'm (A bit suddenly, after much waiting) starting a new job tomorrow, which means a significant schedule change.

Shayuri

First Post
Hm. Well, tell me what you had in mind, and let's see. It's a bit more work but it's something I wouldn't mind putting in (if everyone else would be okay with this).

I have a few ideas, and they hinge on the origin of the character's magic. In order to develop game mechanics, or select some if a new one is not needed, I need to choose that origin. Let me get some input from y'all about what would work better in the game:

1) Perhaps life on the farm is not as peaceful and as idyllic as it seems. Someone in the family has been naughty. Perhaps Dad is scheming to claw his House back into prominence. Perhaps that reclusive, creepy uncle is up to something. Experimentation! A collusion of magic and science! An attempt to harness some wellspring of pure arcane force and put it to work! Only my character somehow got caught in the middle...or was perhaps used intentionally...and has become a vessel for this force. I can't just go public...my family has suffered too much already. But I fear what might happen if I return! In the meantime, this power is both burden and opportunity! (This would work well with Wild magic to represent its uncontrollable nature, or with a custom-designed 'arcane' style Sorcerous Origin)

1a) This is similar, but instead of a nefarious experiment, it could have been the result of an attempt to cure me of a terrible illness or life-threatening curse or affliction. Which segues into:

2) The Phoenix Brand. At some point my character was injured or afflicted, with some malady science and what little magic could be scraped together could not cure. Father, seeing his last chance at a legacy slip away, became desperate and turned to greater and more dangerous journeys. After adventures, either undertaken himself or perhaps someone else on his behalf, I was brought before one of the few creatures of legend that still remain in the world...a great phoenix. For reasons my character does not yet understand, it willingly pulled me into its wings, and exploded in flames that seemed to consume us both. From the ashes, only I was pulled. The bird was gone...but a mark appeared on my skin, shaped vaguely like a bird rising from flame. A variation on the Dragonheart scenario, but without the troublesome fairy-tale dynamics to baggage it. Requires custom Origin, probably borrowing from the Favored Soul and Draconic Origins rather heavily.

River Song

Explorer
[MENTION=6855130]Jago[/MENTION] just getting to the equipment part of the character. Can we sell any of the starting equipment for half-price to tailor our starting gear a bit more?

Remove ads