D&D 5E [IC] The New World (Volo Monsters)

Shayuri

First Post
She nodded.

"It's a fine line we tread. We must embrace strength...but perhaps there are more kinds of strength than we've understood before. The strength of the invaders is unity. We must steal it for ourselves. Any one of us might defeat any one of them...but they work together, while we squabble with one another."

"If we are wise, this time of trial could make all of our people stronger still."

tglassy

Adventurer
"Perhaps we should make some structure to our alliance. You had mentioned a mediator before. Perhaps we should instead evaluate what each of us brings to the group, and give roles. Scout, tactician, brute force. We are quickly marching to what will likely be a battle, and we do not even know what each of us is capable of."

ammulder

Explorer
OOC: I don't want to interrupt the conversation, but so far only Karok and Ripnek have agreed to take a watch, so there are two more watch slots to fill...

Shayuri

First Post
"I have some idea," Saashala replies. "I have been paying attention. But yes, it would be better if we didn't have to guess."

She looks over at Ripnek and Nert.

"I will take the sunrise watch."

TallIan

Explorer
Nert Muchshredder

Nert accepted Karok's offered ration wordlessly, recognising the peace offering.

He carried on setting up for the night listening the conversation between Karok's and Saashala, an alliance of bigs? Something to keep an eye on and be on the right side of. As the conversation finished up Saashala offered to take the sunrise watch.

"Nert take last watch." He offered.

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
HP: 12/12
Passive perception: 14

Abilities: Fury of the small 1/1 short rest
[/SBLOCK]

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

ammulder

Explorer
With everyone except Drutha taking a watch, you're well covered. It's an inspiring time for Karok -- the snow intensifies during his watch. Though visibility drops quickly, he still gets glimpses of the clouds above when the occasional lightning deep within illuminates them momentarily. Moon Moon, on the other hand, is disappointed as even after darkness falls, the Great Candle doesn't manage to put in an appearance. And Saashala finds that staying still is too cold; walking around is the only way to generate some acceptable heat.

Nothing out of the ordinary interrupts your rest (everyone is restored per a Long Rest). You hear the occasional wildlife, and Nert thinks he hears something bigger and heavier cross the trail during his watch, but he can't see that far and by the time he could think to investigate, it's gone.

By nightfall, the snowfall has faded, and the air is cold and clear though the skies are still cloudy. There's a coat of about six inches of snow on the ground, and the trees are all outlined in white. It's fortunate that you made it out of the mountains, as trails would be much harder to follow.

OOC: To be clear, you crossed the river shortly before dawn, and spent another 5 hours navigating the remainder of the mountains (including an extra hour avoiding the ogre). So you arrive at the camp site around 11 AM, and the long rest takes you to 7 PM (after a 4 PM sunset).

You'll be able to travel comparatively quickly across the plains to the ambush site (assuming you're heading for G-10 as Karok mentioned a while back). The question is, do you want to:
  1. Cut over to the road immediately, and follow it to the ambush site (Survival DC 5 to navigate)
  2. Cut back to the river immediately, follow it downriver, and cut over to the road when you're ready to set the ambush (Survival DC 10 to cut over at the right time / to the right place)
  3. Try to make a direct line across the plains to the ambush site (the shortest route but Survival DC 15 to navigate accurately)
You can travel at slow, normal, or fast speed (1, 2, or 3 squares per hour). I will assume normal unless anybody says otherwise, though a slow pace would give you advantage to navigate.

Whoever's going to navigate can go ahead and roll a Survival check.

There's not going to be any way to hide your tracks today, though Nert can at least hide the type and number of creatures in the group.

travel-map-day-01-1900.png

tglassy

Adventurer
Karok looks at the others as they rouse after nightfall. "My knowledge of the area ahead is limited, so someone else will need to lead."

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Drutha Keldret, Hobgoblin Fighter
Forest
Night/7 PM
Round 0

Drutha refused to give in to exhaustion. She had trained with the legions; forced marches were nothing new to her. The cold settled in beneath her chainmail, and when they finally did stop, it turned to snow. She tugged her cloak tighter around herself as she helped set up camp and then munching on the dried rations she had in her pack. The others took watches. Drutha made sure she rose early and prepared the fire and breakfast the next night, keeping it in the lee of the rocks to protect it from the wind and hopefully reduce its visibility. “Next time we camp, if you hunt, I will cook,” she said, adding a few spices from her cooking pack to the morning gruel to make it taste a bit better.

A layer of snow covered everything as they set out. “Since our only map is a crudely drawn scratch in the dirt,” Drutha said, “I say we should cut over to the road and shadow it,” Drutha said. “I can lead,” she told the orc.

[sblock=Stats]
AC: 17 (chainmail, defensive fighting style)
HP: 13/13 HD: 1/1d10
Saving Face (1/R)
Second Wind (1/R)
[/sblock]

TallIan

Explorer
Nert Muchshredder

Nert woke a few hours after dark, some of the others were awake and getting ready. He ate then scattered his little shelter, leaving as little evidence of his stay as possible, then headed to the fire, making a point of staying close to Karok.

"Too much time lost yesterday. Be quick, follow road today." He suggested, "Snow make tracking easy anyway."

OOC: Just to confirm the caravan is heading towards us up the road.

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
HP: 12/12
Passive perception: 14

Abilities: Fury of the small 1/1 short rest
[/SBLOCK]

Remove ads