D&D 5E Helping melee combat to be more competitive to ranged.

[MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION], [MENTION=59096]thecasualoblivion[/MENTION], You both seem to be laying on heavy caveats that these "well designed" ranged PCs can mitigate their melee issues through various means and/or resources. Do I read you correctly? Yet you don't give the same benefit of the doubt to a "well designed" melee PC spending similar resources and efforts to shore up their perceived ranged limitations. Is there a particular reason for this lopsidedness?

The main disadvantage to melee IMO is being subject to greater abuse from enemies. There really aren't a lot of personal resources to deal with that beyond the default(lay on hands, second wind, uncanny dodge, and such) and melee PCs are still at a disadvantage even when you figure those in IMO. The only thing that really measures up is barbarian rage, and that's a per-day resource that isn't exactly easy to steal for other classes. Maximizing AC really requires magic items, so you can't rely on that without DM aid. The only thing in my experience that mitigates melee squishiness in 5E is total party cooperation, where the ranged characters put themselves in harms way and the entire party spreads damage around more or less as evenly as possible. You need everybody's cooperation for that, and many players don't in my experience.

But that's neither here nor there. We are comparing the relative power level of ranged vs melee characters, and as long as we are comparing the characters themselves, ranged has the edge in my opinion.

Iry

Hero
[MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION], [MENTION=59096]thecasualoblivion[/MENTION], You both seem to be laying on heavy caveats that these "well designed" ranged PCs can mitigate their melee issues through various means and/or resources. Do I read you correctly? Yet you don't give the same benefit of the doubt to a "well designed" melee PC spending similar resources and efforts to shore up their perceived ranged limitations. Is there a particular reason for this lopsidedness?
Ranged characters (as a general rule) have better control over where their damage goes, face fewer complications delivering that damage, and require fewer resources to overcome melee limitations than melee characters require to overcome ranged limitations. "Well designed" does not even need to enter into the equation.

Corwin

Explorer
Ranged characters (as a general rule) have better control over where their damage goes,...
At the expense dealing less damage (as a general rule, of course). Fair's fair, n'est–ce pas?

...face fewer complications delivering that damage,...
Do they? There are categories of attack penalties that apply to ranged that do not (as a general rule) apply to melee.

...and require fewer resources to overcome melee limitations than melee characters require to overcome ranged limitations.
And yet *have* resources (as a general rule) that do not exist for melee types. Be it ammo, or spell slots, etc.

"Well designed" does not even need to enter into the equation.
Sure it does. If you are spending limited resources to help your ranged PC achieve melee competence. Offer the same courtesy to the melee guy. Either factor in both, or neither. Playing the lopsided example game isn't helping advance the conversation in a meaningful way, AFAIC.

At the expense dealing less damage (as a general rule, of course). Fair's fair, n'est–ce pas?

Do they? There are categories of attack penalties that apply to ranged that do not (as a general rule) apply to melee.

And yet *have* resources (as a general rule) that do not exist for melee types. Be it ammo, or spell slots, etc.

Sure it does. If you are spending limited resources to help your ranged PC achieve melee competence. Offer the same courtesy to the melee guy. Either factor in both, or neither. Playing the lopsided example game isn't helping advance the conversation in a meaningful way, AFAIC.

A variant Human Fighter with the Crossbow Expertise feat will out damage pretty much anything. A Variant Human Fighter can have Crossbow Expertise, Sharpshooter, and 20 Dexterity by level 8, while sporting 17-18 AC, second wind, and a mountain of HP. A Crossbow Expert can fire in melee without disadvantage, but using TWF and a pair of short swords is still a stronger option comparatively vs a melee Strength Fighter throwing javelins. Between Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter, all ranged penalties vanish. Meanwhile, I get an extra attack as a bonus action with a Hand Crossbow thanks to Crossbow Expert, and Sharpshooter gives me +10 damage for -5 to attack rolls, which is offset the +2 to attack rolls I get from archery fighting style.

The end result is I'm a ranged tank who can shoot in melee without penalty, ignores other ranged penalties, and deals more damage than anyone else can.

Tony Vargas

Legend
What's your take on this Tony? Do you think that the 5e system makes "Ranged>Melee"?
I'm not sure it matters in 5e, where such 'balance' is mainly in the DM's hands.
I do think the system is too easy on ranged weapons and casting in melee, this time around. Whether you judge Ranged > Melee in terms of offense or not.

[MENTION=996] You both seem to be laying on heavy caveats that these "well designed" ranged PCs can mitigate their melee issues through various means and/or resources. Do I read you correctly?
Nah. It's true that you can obviate the minimal downsides of ranged weapons & spells in melee with minor application of system mastery (and the DM can block some of those pretty easily, too), but it's not the whole issue. Even if you don't, disadvantage in melee for ranged attacks (not spells that don't use attack rolls) is still pretty minor. Disadvantage comes from many other sources, as well, and, even when staying melee means accepting disadvantage you wouldn't otherwise have and not cancelling it with Advantage, it's still only a reduction in offense, not a risk like AoOs for ranged attacks & spell casting in 4e & (trivial though they could be to negate) 3.5 were. A caster or archer in melee isn't so much in trouble as possibly inconvenienced.

Yet you don't give the same benefit of the doubt to a "well designed" melee PC spending similar resources and efforts to shore up their perceived ranged limitations.
The question doesn't strike me as STR build vs DEX build so much as melee options vs ranged options, FWIW.

5e seems decidedly easy on ranged options, whether using bows or spells, in melee, while also making them very effective options. Probably in the name of fast combat in that case, but it's been a trend the last several editions, really. I've long noticed that the game has gotten much easier on casting as it's evolved, while rarely pulling back the power thereof to match, but in retrospect, the same has been true of ranged weapon combat, if perhaps a bit less dramatically so.

At the expense dealing less damage (as a general rule, of course).
Not substantially less assuming similar focus. There are lower and higher damage options in both melee and ranged builds, I suppose. At the high end you have Archery style and Sharpshooter vs GWF&M. Both are quite high DPR. At the low end, I guess, hand crossbows vs knife fighters. :shrug:

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
A variant Human Fighter with the Crossbow Expertise feat will out damage pretty much anything. A Variant Human Fighter can have Crossbow Expertise, Sharpshooter, and 20 Dexterity by level 8, while sporting 17-18 AC, second wind, and a mountain of HP. A Crossbow Expert can fire in melee without disadvantage, but using TWF and a pair of short swords is still a stronger option comparatively vs a melee Strength Fighter throwing javelins. Between Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter, all ranged penalties vanish. Meanwhile, I get an extra attack as a bonus action with a Hand Crossbow thanks to Crossbow Expert, and Sharpshooter gives me +10 damage for -5 to attack rolls, which is offset the +2 to attack rolls I get from archery fighting style.
Wow. That's awesome. Look at how cool you are having spent every resource you had on that one shtick. Good for you. Other characters got to spend their resources on cool things too. isn't that neat?

BTW, how many crossbow bolts do you have on you? You sure do burn through them awful quick with that little machine-gun peashooter of yours!

Also, the farthest you can attack (120') with that hand crossbow is *less* than a longbow's *short* range (150'), let alone its amazing long range (600')! What is your fighter doing for 8+ rounds while the enemy is making its way into your crossbow's range? Meanwhile the sharpshooting longbowman is plucking away at them with impunity that whole time.

The end result is I'm a ranged tank who can shoot in melee without penalty, ignores other ranged penalties, and deals more damage than anyone else can.
Do you? Do you deal more damage than anyone else? Are you sure? I've not found hand crossbow fighters to take that particular cake.

Remove ads