D&D 5E Nature cleric advice

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I can get STR 15 DEX 10 Con 14 INT 8 WIS 16 CHA 10 with point buy.

I'd say that if going with this build, unless you intend to take a feat that gives +1 STR to start with strength 14 instead and put the 2 points gained back into DEX, INT, or CHA. You'll still be able to use chainmail without penalty for an AC of 18 with a shield, and then you can boost your STR to 16 at level 4 and start wearing heavier armour if desired.

mellored

Legend
There's no reason you couldn't wear heavy armor with 8 Str. Just take the -10 speed penalty. Clerics shouldn't be ones who rush in. You can't heal anyone if you drop first.

so
8 str, 14+2 dex, 14 con, 10 int, 15+1 wis, 10 cha
or
9 str, 14+2 dex, 15 con, 10 int, 15+1 wis, 10 cha, and take resilent Con at level 4.

If you don't like being slow, just grab the mobility feat (-10 movement + 10 movement = no change) or use your spells to charm a mount.
You could also start with medium, then go to heavy when you get the feat.

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION]:So you reckon I should ignore the heavy armor and stick with Dex?
[MENTION=6788732]cbwjm[/MENTION] [MENTION=6801209]mellored[/MENTION]: I'm cool with 8 Int. It fits with the ghostwise's primitive background.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Then... 10 str, 14+2 dex, 14 con, 8 int, 15+1 wis, 10 cha

or maybe 8 str and 12 Cha if you want that.

Either way, I would go 15+1 wis, and 14 con. Then decide how important movement / AC /heavy armor master / resilient Con is to you.
Which could depend on the rest of the party.

pukunui

Legend
Then... 10 str, 14+2 dex, 14 con, 8 int, 15+1 wis, 10 cha
That's one of the options I was thinking (see post #3).

Either way, I would go 15+1 wis, and 14 con. Then decide how important movement / AC /heavy armor master / resilient Con is to you.
Which could depend on the rest of the party.
I'm not sure what the rest of the party will be like, and I honestly can't decide whether I'd prefer to go Dex and medium armor or Str and heavy armor.

I'm kind of inclined to start out with revised ranger instead, especially since I can actually get a 16 in both Dex and Wis. I could then MC into nature cleric later. I could do 5 levels of ranger to get extra attack and then switch over to cleric.

mellored

Legend
I'm kind of inclined to start out with revised ranger instead, especially since I can actually get a 16 in both Dex and Wis. I could then MC into nature cleric later. I could do 5 levels of ranger to get extra attack and then switch over to cleric.
Then i would stick with heavy armor (once you get it), Dex, and a bow

Divine strike works on any weapon attack. Just use buff (bless), area control (insect plague), and heal spells. Most animals have crappy wis saves, so Wis isn't super important for your channel divinity.
And with a bow, speed isn't importaint. Since you can still attack from a good range. Though if needed, take the heavy armor off and use light to sneak around, especially as you get more Dex.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Ha. To be honest, I started this thread in the hopes of narrowing down my options, not adding more! Silly me.

The original idea was to go with the pure-Wis shillelagh cleric, but I still had to figure out whether to make Dex higher and go with medium armor, or make Str higher and wear heavy armor, and I still don't know which way to go. I've had people advocate for both!

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
To throw out an unpopular opinion - wear heavy armor without the strength. It slows you down by 10 feet but that's all, it's not like you are unproficient. You know what, that's not the end of the world.

I remember people in earlier editions who would absolutely limit their tactical options to avoid triggering an attack of opportunity. When really, sometimes accepting that attack lets you do a lot more.

So break tradition, be a bit slow, and not care about it.

Though in your exact case where you are already playing a slower-than-usual race it may hurt more.

Remove ads