Doctor Who News some spoilers

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
So far I'm giving this season a c+
1. Capaldi and new companion are good however both stories so far are just mundane. We waited an extra year so I was expecting better. It appears the effects budget is better but the water/emoji storylines just aren't cutting it.

Both of them were a bit naff, having a slow start, some twist and then a rush to the end. For the Pilot episode in particular I wonder if it could have been done better as a two parter.
The girl with a star in her eye seemed to good an opportunity to leave off as mundane nope just a iris defect and the whole bit of the water being sentient and 'in love' with Bill seemed like it could have been expanded to something (I was left feeling that it would be cool to encounter the Pilot again later once it was more aware of itself)

It still seems a bit directionless at the moment. At least with both Amy and Clara their 'mysterious link' to the Doctor was established at the start, for Bill we know the Doctor took an interest in here, but I'm still vague to why...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My male pick for a new Doctor would be Alexander Seddig. Second choice, David Harewood. He is second choice simply because I want him to stay on Supergirl for a while yet. But I fracking love his natural voice, and I'd love to see him play something so different from his current role.

I hope I don't have to explain why I want Bashir as the Doctor.

Female Doctor, I've no idea. I'm drawing a total blank on female British actors.

Agreed that a Pakistani Doctor would be amazing, btw.

So far I'm giving this season a c+
1. Capaldi and new companion are good however both stories so far are just mundane. We waited an extra year so I was expecting better. It appears the effects budget is better but the water/emoji storylines just aren't cutting it.
It's not like they spent the extra year writing. The crew was likely working on other stuff. Like Sherlock.

I didn't mind them. The first was slow, but it was a reintroduction to the Doctor. A slow boil to get new viewers up to speed, while old viewers were given a reason to actually care about Bill.

The second I quite liked. But I'm an old school Who fan. I'm comfortable with the idea of spending an hour (and whole episode) building to a twist or revelation. Things picked up the pace at the end, which was good, but I think it worked because the episode was really all about getting Bill used to the Doctor and what he does.

They were very similar to Rose and The End of the World, albeit without the dodgy music random aliens.

Female Doctor, I've no idea. I'm drawing a total blank on female British actors.
Let's see...
Lara Pulver, Michelle Dockery, Suranne Jones, and Alexandra Roach have been named. Jones was previously the TARDIS in The Doctor's Wife, which would be fun. Hayley Atwell is popular with the fans as well, formerly being Agent Carter.
Going Scottish seems to work with Doctors, so Amy Manson or Kelly Macdonald might be fun.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I am loving Bill. Her enthusiasm and and curiosity are infectious, and I love that she's not some special "Impossible Girl" or anything. The avuncular relationship is perfect. And Capaldi is great - he's lightened up, and that in part is due to the great chemistry the two of them have. I'm hoping for a lot of fun, not too heavy on the arcs and meta-themes this year, and not too heavy on the Moffaty "I'm going to be clever" plots.

And I can't wait to see Missy again. Still think Michelle Gomez would make a perfect Doctor if she wasn't already part of the show. Not that that is necessarily a barrier!

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
As plots go, I would not mind seeing a season or two of Missy playing (passing herself off) in the role of The Doctor, until the real Doctor comes forth. :)

Ryujin

Legend
I'm quite enjoying the new series. For some reason it's reminding me of the Tom Baker days, though the teacher/student relationship between the characters is more like the John Pertwee/Elisabeth Sladen days. I hope that it stays the course.

Remove ads