• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Class Inclusion Criteria (general discussion)

Sacrosanct

Legend
No, this isn't about the warlord specifically, but a general discussion :) I'm gonna put on my game designer hat on and try to present this from a designer's perspective. While not one of the "big boys", I have been designing games for 30 years and even won awards!!! :O So I like to think I can put myself into that mindset fairly easily.

Since classes started appearing in Dragon Magazine*, there has been discussion about what sort of classes should be included. Discussions that have spiked when a new edition comes out. So...when coming out with a new edition, how do you choose which classes should be included, not just for the immediate PHB, but supplements as well. I think there is some criteria that must come into play to determine this:

* precedent: has the class existed in previous editions and/or does it have a clear established identity with D&D?
* popularity: can it be assured that plenty of people want the class and it will be played?
* theme: does it fit with a high fantasy RPG? I.e., a class like a pilot might fit for a modern or sci fi genre, but probably doesn't warrant an official class in D&D
* redundancy: is the class almost the exact same in function as another class

Generally, all classes will go through that review process and will be assigned priority, even if it's just an informal priority. Once that is done, the final step:
* balance: is the class relatively balanced with all the other classes.

So....what does that mean when it comes to classes like the warlord or artificer? If those classes pass the first four criteria, and higher priority classes have already been done, then there is no reason why there shouldn't be a warlord or artificer or whatever introduced into the game officially (assuming the developers are still creating that sort of content).

I'll address the first argument I hear against having a class like that in the game: "I don't like it/it doesn't fit well with how I personally run games." My answer to that is, "That's not a very good reason to omit the class from the game as a whole and from every table. I don't like bards, but I don't think they should be banned. They meet all the criteria, so the only real answer is that I don't play with them. Just because the bard is in the book doesn't mean I'm forced to play one or they revoke my geek cred."

The second argument right after that one is "why have the class if you can do nearly the same thing by doing this class, this subclass, these feats, etc?" There is some merit to this argument, however in every discussion, I've seen people offer ideas that make the new proposed class unique enough to have it's own niche. It's also a slippery slope argument because I could say the same thing about rangers, or other classes/subclasses. "Just be an eldritch fighter with archery fighting style and blah blah skills and blah blah feats..." And yet we do have a ranger class.

But here's where it gets tricky, and comes up in every thread about potential new classes (not just the warlord): the final point--balance with other classes. Nearly everyone from a previous edition has a favorite class type. But what I see too often is people will try to import that class and its mechanics into the new edition without taking this final bullet point into consideration. For example in one of those warlord threads going around, it was argued that a warlord should be able to do things equivalent to, and as often as, a haste spell (and other spells). But there was no give. I.e., the warlord would still have all the abilities of a fighter, PLUS all the other extra stuff of a wizard or cleric, or whatever.

And thus I see two problems in nearly every thread: People who want a new class to represent a favorite class are unwilling to compromise to balance with the rest of the classes (I hear hyperbole like "you're oppressing me you h4ter!"), and on the other side are people who want to ban the class for little other reason than they don't like it. Not everyone, of course, but those types of comments always show up and seem to dominate.

Therefore, it is of my opinion, when we talk about new classes (and again, not just the warlord), if you can make an argument that meets all of the top four criteria, and present your proposal in a way that meets the final bullet point, then I would have a very hard time arguing against it (as a designer). "I don't like it" counter arguments don't hold water. That's a "your table" legitimate argument, not a "game as a whole" argument. If someone is going to put out the effort to offer a proposal that meets all four criteria, they at the very least deserve a well thought out counter argument that relies on objective points rather than emotional reactions.

Sorry for being wordy.

*technically all of those classes were for NPCs only, but everyone wanted to play them as PCs anyway

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Those are some great criteria.

I would emphasize "redundancy" and point out that this can apply to both story elements and game mechanics. To me, it's much better for a class to feel unique story-wise than it is to feel unique mechanically. In fact, mechanics that are unnecessarily unusual can prove a barrier to entry and slow down game-play.

I view "popularity" not in terms of how many people want to play the class, but more like, how many people can even conceptualize the class as an option. For example, if you introduce a "witch" class, most people would immediately grok what that means (although they might not understand how it differs from a wizard or warlock; a failure of the redundancy criterion). Conversely, if you introduce a "tax collector" class, most people would scratch their heads in bafflement, because nobody understands what a tax collector would do in a D&D game. I guess this is related to the "theme" criterion as well; the class has to fit with a fantasy setting but also with an adventuring party.

Eubani

Legend
No, this isn't about the warlord specifically, but a general discussion :) I'm gonna put on my game designer hat on and try to present this from a designer's perspective. While not one of the "big boys", I have been designing games for 30 years and even won awards!!! :O So I like to think I can put myself into that mindset fairly easily.

Since classes started appearing in Dragon Magazine*, there has been discussion about what sort of classes should be included. Discussions that have spiked when a new edition comes out. So...when coming out with a new edition, how do you choose which classes should be included, not just for the immediate PHB, but supplements as well. I think there is some criteria that must come into play to determine this:

* precedent: has the class existed in previous editions and/or does it have a clear established identity with D&D?
* popularity: can it be assured that plenty of people want the class and it will be played?
* theme: does it fit with a high fantasy RPG? I.e., a class like a pilot might fit for a modern or sci fi genre, but probably doesn't warrant an official class in D&D
* redundancy: is the class almost the exact same in function as another class

Generally, all classes will go through that review process and will be assigned priority, even if it's just an informal priority. Once that is done, the final step:
* balance: is the class relatively balanced with all the other classes.

So....what does that mean when it comes to classes like the warlord or artificer? If those classes pass the first four criteria, and higher priority classes have already been done, then there is no reason why there shouldn't be a warlord or artificer or whatever introduced into the game officially (assuming the developers are still creating that sort of content).

I'll address the first argument I hear against having a class like that in the game: "I don't like it/it doesn't fit well with how I personally run games." My answer to that is, "That's not a very good reason to omit the class from the game as a whole and from every table. I don't like bards, but I don't think they should be banned. They meet all the criteria, so the only real answer is that I don't play with them. Just because the bard is in the book doesn't mean I'm forced to play one or they revoke my geek cred."

The second argument right after that one is "why have the class if you can do nearly the same thing by doing this class, this subclass, these feats, etc?" There is some merit to this argument, however in every discussion, I've seen people offer ideas that make the new proposed class unique enough to have it's own niche. It's also a slippery slope argument because I could say the same thing about rangers, or other classes/subclasses. "Just be an eldritch fighter with archery fighting style and blah blah skills and blah blah feats..." And yet we do have a ranger class.

But here's where it gets tricky, and comes up in every thread about potential new classes (not just the warlord): the final point--balance with other classes. Nearly everyone from a previous edition has a favorite class type. But what I see too often is people will try to import that class and its mechanics into the new edition without taking this final bullet point into consideration. For example in one of those warlord threads going around, it was argued that a warlord should be able to do things equivalent to, and as often as, a haste spell (and other spells). But there was no give. I.e., the warlord would still have all the abilities of a fighter, PLUS all the other extra stuff of a wizard or cleric, or whatever.

And thus I see two problems in nearly every thread: People who want a new class to represent a favorite class are unwilling to compromise to balance with the rest of the classes (I hear hyperbole like "you're oppressing me you h4ter!"), and on the other side are people who want to ban the class for little other reason than they don't like it. Not everyone, of course, but those types of comments always show up and seem to dominate.

Therefore, it is of my opinion, when we talk about new classes (and again, not just the warlord), if you can make an argument that meets all of the top four criteria, and present your proposal in a way that meets the final bullet point, then I would have a very hard time arguing against it (as a designer). "I don't like it" counter arguments don't hold water. That's a "your table" legitimate argument, not a "game as a whole" argument. If someone is going to put out the effort to offer a proposal that meets all four criteria, they at the very least deserve a well thought out counter argument that relies on objective points rather than emotional reactions.

Sorry for being wordy.

*technically all of those classes were for NPCs only, but everyone wanted to play them as PCs anyway
I can't say I often agree with you Sacrosanct but I am man enough to say that was well written.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Speaking of redundancy... How is the Paladin not just a Fighter-Cleric? Has anyone ever bothered to play a multiclass Fighter-Cleric? What would be the point with the Paladin existing?

I'm pretty sure the Paladin only exists at this point because of Legacy.

Huh. It occurs to me that you could model the Paladin as a Fighter subclass that is Clericish the way the Eldritch Knight is Wizardy.

(For the record, I am not actually offended that the Paladin exists, but IMO it may be the worst example of redundancy in concept in the game.)

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm more a fan of subtractive design. Here's a good blurb I found:

"Subtractive design is the process of removing imperfections and extraneous parts in order to strengthen the core elements. You can think of a design as something you build up, construct and let grow, but it’s pruning away the excess that gives a design a sense of simplicity, elegance, and power."

So in order to add something as heavy as a class, it has a significant burden of inclusion to overcome. Saying "this is as good as a PHB class, we should add it" will be met with "we should be cutting the fat from the existing classes before even thinking of adding another. Tell you what, cut a PHB class that you feel this new one fulfills iconic roles better".

No, that one-size-fits-all approach doesn't always work. There are genuinely new ideas that we do need to cover. But it's a starting point for a conversation of "if I had to drop something to include this, would I?". Proves worth and help combat bloat.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm more a fan of subtractive design. Here's a good blurb I found:

"Subtractive design is the process of removing imperfections and extraneous parts in order to strengthen the core elements. You can think of a design as something you build up, construct and let grow, but it’s pruning away the excess that gives a design a sense of simplicity, elegance, and power."

So in order to add something as heavy as a class, it has a significant burden of inclusion to overcome. Saying "this is as good as a PHB class, we should add it" will be met with "we should be cutting the fat from the existing classes before even thinking of adding another. Tell you what, cut a PHB class that you feel this new one fulfills iconic roles better".

No, that one-size-fits-all approach doesn't always work. There are genuinely new ideas that we do need to cover. But it's a starting point for a conversation of "if I had to drop something to include this, would I?". Proves worth and help combat bloat.
That would be great! We can ditch the Paladin for the Warlord! 😜

Seriously, though, while I agree with Subtractive Design in principle, it's not something D&D is capable of doing, without edition changes. (Which is almost certainly why there ARE edition changes, beyond selling all the books all over again!)

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Satyrn

First Post
I really doubt there was "no give" in this poster's idea. He - whoever he is - might just have not mentioned it, thinking its obvious that balance would be a consideration in the final draft of the new class. I mean, a common point in the "the warlord needs to be a new class" argument is that the fighter has too many attacks to be a good chasis, that getting rid of all those extra attacks is a fundamental "give" to creating the class.

I really doubt that this "unwilling to compromise to balance" thing you see actually applies to anyone.

Dausuul

Legend
My attitude is that if you're going to introduce a new class, you should cover as much untrodden ground as possible. I like the idea of a nonmagical support class, but a 4E-style warlord overlaps too much with the battlemaster fighter. What I would like to see would be a "noble" class, where you provide inspiration and leadership and tactical advantages, but swinging a sword is optional (probably a subclass option, like a Valor bard).

Basically, make the "lazy warlord" into the core of the class and then let non-lazy warlords be a subclass of that.

mellored

Legend
Who said that the warlord should have all the abilities of a fighter? I haven't seen anyone say that.
Most say it should do as much damage as a cleric or bard. And the fact that there is so much power in the main fighter class is the reason it doesn't work as a subclass.

I'm the one who said haste, but that's as a baseline for balance, not something you add on top of a fighter. A warlord should be as powerful as a haste spamming bard, not that he should actually casting haste.
So by level 11, he should be able to grant extra movement, extra attack, advantage on a save, extra AC, some reaction dice, and about 80 HP of healing (or give 80 THP) but only deal about 12 damage per turn. It doesn't at have to be exactly that, but that gives people a good idea of what would be balanced.

The Artificer has the same subclass issue. There's too many features to be a wizard subclass.

As for psionics, honest I would have mix it in with monk. Psi and Ki are close in fluff and mechanics. But too late, and the one in the UA was barely unique enough with it's stances, so I'll give it my blessings (not that it's worth anything)

Are there any other major classes that people want?

Last edited:

Remove ads