D&D 5E [IC] Adventures in Ashwell: The Edge of Dispater

Creamsteak

Explorer
OOC: I'm expecting more step by step interactions a bit here, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

As the group creeps forward your lights reveal many different caverns branching off from one. Sorwheel draws a small knife, one that he didn't seem to have only a moment ago. He prods the ground where a piece of melted wax is in the dirt. He points towards the path on his right with it. "Further."

That passage looks to only be five feet wide. Your lanterns reflect... something on the ceiling of this cavern. Like a faded damaged fresco. It appears to depict the five races of men, four different tribes walking in one direction while one remained behind.

There are several footprints in the dirt down here.

A bit of air blows in from the tunnel to the south-east.

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    309 KB · Views: 198

Azurewraith

Explorer
Raghnall inspects the ceiling first to see if he can make anything of it before turning his attention to the tracks. Bending down Raghnall trying to discern what passed through and how many.

Seeing Sorweel's dagger he cant help but wonder if this is a trap.
OOC: Not sure what roll you would want for inspecting art but here is a survival for the prints
[roll0]

Creamsteak

Explorer
OOC: The map, btw, is intentionally incomplete based on line of sight from the lantern.

The fresco seems religious in origin. You can recognize "The People" (Scylvendi) on the march. They ride a great number of horses. The other groups are culturally different leaving by boat or foot with less riders. It doesn't appear particularly disrespectful of any of the cultures.

The tracks on the floor lead in all directions, and consist of both human and animal tracks. Insects and rats have passed through here frequently and the area is... surprisingly well traveled. You have a good hunch this area has been picked over many times before. At one point the light of the lantern glints off of a small scorpion mostly buried in the sand. Spiderwebs can bee seen hanging about. It looks like something large was dragged through here in from the south-eastern passage and out the north-western-most passage.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Raghnall turns to the others and opens his mouth to speak,before closing it again then finally speaking"Can you translate please. Many many things have passed through here some man, some beast." Motioning with his finger across the intersection where something was dragged."Something big was dragged that way. Giant spider."

Raghnall positions himself in-between the south east and north west passage and listens.
OOC: Perception[roll0]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Ersarkess translates for the group. He looks over the fresco too, but is more concerned about planning.

"What should we do if we're attacked? We didn't really have time to talk about our abilities, we were going to the rescue. But now, we need to consider that. I'm capable of some minor magic and can defend myself, but I am no warrior. I'm an explorer of ruins, just like this one. I'd say it is a safe bet that our friend from the steppes is the warrior. What about the rest of you? We still need to move quickly, maybe we can discuss the details later, I'd just like to know what to expect from the group."

He repeats the question about combat plan to Raghnall adding "We need to teach you a language, this will get hard fast."

He thinks some more while the group answers. Once the emotions get out of the way and his brain engages, he questions the boy even as he urges him on:
"Sorwheel, how deep did you go? While we're talking, hows that I found you apparently sitting quietly in the tavern if your sister is burried somewhere down here? Come on, lead on."

Insight: 1D20+2 = [17]+2 = 19 - to see if he detects any deception in the boy

Azurewraith

Explorer
Raghnall nods his head"Strongest warrior in my tribe" removing his mailed glove and pulling up his simple cloth sleeve revealing his arm is covered in ritual scarring."I am willing to learn, will not be the first time"

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
For the other's benefit, Thael briefly states "I am a scholar of The Great Library, but know how to defend myself" He says, tapping on his shield. "I too dabble in magics" he then adds, smiling at Ersarkess.

Creamsteak

Explorer
"Sorwheel, how deep did you go? While we're talking, hows that I found you apparently sitting quietly in the tavern if your sister is burried somewhere down here? Come on, lead on."y

The kid responds, "We... went to the teacups. It is a bit further. I'm sorry, this place frightens me. The singing from down below most of all."

He does seem genuinely scared more than deceptive.

Sorwheel leads you further down a back and forth twisting passage. A few other passages fork off from here at times. You reach a point where the cavern strangely opens up. An underground stream falls off from above down to somewhere below in the darkness. It goes deeper than your lantern light easily discerns. An earth and stone bridge leads further west into another cavern on this level.

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    504.1 KB · Views: 189

Azurewraith

Explorer
Raghnall asses the bridge wondering if it is safe to cross in numbers, perhaps he should go first? The mans thoughts are distracted he feels that perhaps the art on the ceiling before meant something maybe even something about his rival.

Remove ads