D&D 5E Swashbuckler

Baldguy33

First Post
So would it be dumb to go magical initate warlock and grab booming blade, Eldritch blast , and armor of agayths ,the at level 4 start to multiclass for 5 levels of warlock?

Al2O3

Explorer
If you are going to multiclass Warlock you might as well go for a different feat instead. Spell sniper or War caster could be good if you already knew a spell. If you find enough spells you like from the Warlock list to fill both Warlock and Magic initiate I guess it could make sense from a story perspective to get a couple of clear Warlock spells right away. That way the multiclass would not change the character too much of in play.

Baldguy33

First Post
I want booming blade, I guess I could go half elf variant and get the cantrip from high elf. Kinda makes sense. Thing with this character is I think we are doing sunless citadel and forge of fury and that's it, not sure if we'll come back to it or not

imdeadagain

Explorer
I'm playing a half high elf swashbuckler with booming blade and he's pretty cool, the bonus action dash allows you to run in 30 ft, attack with booming blade, then fancy footwork 30 feet back, he's all over the battlefield supporting the tanking clerics in the group.

I'm going to add in some levels of fighter for battle master, riposte gives you an extra 4 sneak attacks per short rest when someone attacks you and misses. The level of fighter lets you have a decent AC from a breastplate until your Dec gets high enough for studded leather to go past it, also you get shield proficiency to go with your single attack.

Works very well, my DM thinks too well...

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Baldguy33

First Post
Ya I could grab a buckler would give me a 16 AC but rogues don't "start with a shield" could simply just ask the DM if I could of picked one up at some point. As far as race I'm still debating human and feat , half elf variant and grab BBC

imdeadagain

Explorer
With the half high elf you don't need the feat for bb, the other big benefit of taking fighter at 2nd level is the duelling fighting style, +2 damage if use a 1 handed weapon and no off hand weapon. It's a great character to play you can really ham up the swashbuckling bit, I'm really enjoying it.

There are many ways to 'build' a swashbuckler, mc with warlock, fighter, paladin etc, or just go straight SB all the way through, your AC is less important as you will be 'kiting' in and out instead of going toe to to with enemies, mobility is key, let the tanks take the damage, harass enemies, hit em and run with BB.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using EN World

Remove ads