D&D 5E Great Weapon Mastery - once more into the breach! (with math)

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Well I looked at it on my phone and the numbers were missing, some display problem, but to be fair to you I should have looked again on my laptop

To be fair to *me* I still don't understand the math since it makes references to books I don't have.

Fair enough. The mobile site absolutely butchers formatting.

It uses Reckless Attack from the Barbarian to get advantage on attacks, and Elven Accuracy from the Racial Feats UA to reroll one of the attack dice (obviously the lower). Extra Attack from the Fighter and two-weapon fighting for additional attacks. Also from the Fighter is Improved Critical.

The net result is three attacks a round made at super advantage. Each has a 27.1% chance of critting.
That's a 61.3% chance of scoring a critical in a round. Then we just stick all the extra dice possible on it (with Vorpal being the best).

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Depends a lot on how your DM handles when you apply damage dice from sneak attack and other things. Many dms you will have to decide on a per attack basis on whether you use your sneak attack instead of making all attacks and applying it at the end of the round. In a game like that your dpr will significantly drop.

Fair enough. The mobile site absolutely butchers formatting.

It uses Reckless Attack from the Barbarian to get advantage on attacks, and Elven Accuracy from the Racial Feats UA to reroll one of the attack dice (obviously the lower). Extra Attack from the Fighter and two-weapon fighting for additional attacks. Also from the Fighter is Improved Critical.

The net result is three attacks a round made at super advantage. Each has a 27.1% chance of critting.
That's a 61.3% chance of scoring a critical in a round. Then we just stick all the extra dice possible on it (with Vorpal being the best).

CapnZapp

Legend
Personally I felt it might have been a bit too strong, but I was annoyed that few people were doing the *proper* comparison. You shouldn't compare normal attack vs GMW + advantage. You should compare normal attack + advantage to GMW + advantage! Otherwise the comparison wasn't "real".
Back at a real computer. Again thanks for this thread, A.

I too was annoyed few people were doing a proper analysis. All I ever saw was superficial calculations where people "found" that the -5 negated much of the damage increase (on average), except against low AC opponents. That in itself might not be so bad, except it triggered them to denounce the complaints against the feat as mistaken. "The feat isn't overpowered at all".

But that assumes a newbie approach. As with every game element, the proper evaluation is done at the extremes. Designing for the average case is easy, but it certainly is not good enough. Only by taking the extreme cases into (at least some account) will you have a shot at catching abusive combos.

https://sugoru.com/2013/07/14/designing-for-the-extremes/
http://www.open.edu/openlearn/scien...gn/people-centred-designing/content-section-5
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/story-why-you-should-design-average-pierre-austruy
https://www.pixelspoke.com/blog/design/designing-for-the-extremes/

This doesn't mean I'm advocating leaving the average user behind. Just the simple observation that a feat that works for the poweruser is also very likely to satisfy the average user. For instance, had GWM been properly designed in the first place, I'm sure very few of you would have cause for complaint. In other words, very few of you are really defending the current implementation of GWM. You're mostly resisting the change in itself.

But GWM only works for the average user. For the extreme user, it narrows the path to great DPS to such an extent you pretty much MUST get the feat, and you MUST use a compatible weapon. No longer does dual-wielding compete, for instance.

Compare to the featless game, where most if not all weapon combos remain "viable", meaning "not painfully removed from top-of-class DPS".

---

Anyway.

The deepest the analyses went was with the addition of advantage. But this too is not looking at the feat like a powergamer.

A powergamer notices that GWM allows something pretty unique: a +10 increase of the base damage, the average damage before you multiply with a hit probability.

If advantage can (roughly) be said to counteract the -5 part of the feat, the problem remains that the feat is only mathematically useful against low(ish) AC opponents.

If only there were a way to effectively lower the AC even more...

And, of course, a powergamer finds a way. Bardic Inspiration. Precision Maneuvers. There are more.

This work like this: you hit, you do nothing. You miss by a relatively small amount, you use this power to turn a miss into a hit. You miss by much (such as when you roll a 2), you accept that miss.

Superiority dice are balanced on the assumption the base damage is not high. In other words, the designers assume you don't have smite damage or sneak damage. But there's another way to increase the base damage - yes, GWM!

So while 1d8 to attack and 1d8 to damage is roughly similar for a base damage of, say, 1d10+5, it is certainly not for a base damage of 1d10+15. In this latter case, 1d8 to attack is better than 1d8 to damage.

And it is exactly this element that never before was analysed properly. You could of course listen to the play experience of me and others, where we tell you that each round where the Battlemaster Fighter deals all 40 damage on top of the expected difference between a GWM fighter and a sword'n'board fighter is an indication of a broken feat. But some doggedly insisted on a proper math example.

And so... this thread. I'll go look for your final analysis post now Ancalagon.

Just a few FAQ's.

"There's no such problem in my game". Great. But we're not discussing your game. This discussion postulates that the GWM feat is broken and that WotC should replace it for everybody in the next printing of the Player's Handbook.

"White room nonsense". If you don't like math analysis, then let me tell you my players have conclusively shown the feat to be abusible. Either trust me or trust the math.

"The designers wouldn't make a mistake". BWAH-HA-HAA

"It isn't big enough of a problem for me wanting a change." Great. But if the feat WAS fixed, you would very likely not have a problem with that version either, so let's settle on something that works for both of us!

"I resist change and am reflexively conservative" Thank you for being so honest and forthcoming. But your stance never leads to progress, so excuse me if I ignore you. Thank you.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Depends a lot on how your DM handles when you apply damage dice from sneak attack and other things. Many dms you will have to decide on a per attack basis on whether you use your sneak attack instead of making all attacks and applying it at the end of the round. In a game like that your dpr will significantly drop.
Not at all. The numbers account for you holding your Sneak Attack until you either crit or reach your last attack.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
"It isn't big enough of a problem for me wanting a change." Great. But if the feat WAS fixed, you would very likely not have a problem with that version either, so let's settle on something that works for both of us!
This is the part of these discussions that always causes me the most frustration. Many people claim to not care about math balance. But when people who say they do care about math balance suggest changes that would fix those concerns, those same people argue against the change. I thought you didn't care about the balance! Why does it matter to you HOW the issue in question is resolved, if you didn't have an issue either way?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
This is the part of these discussions that always causes me the most frustration. Many people claim to not care about math balance. But when people who say they do care about math balance suggest changes that would fix those concerns, those same people argue against the change. I thought you didn't care about the balance! Why does it matter to you HOW the issue in question is resolved, if you didn't have an issue either way?
f612b8a99a6309d5bb4a109519f07407.jpg

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I would have to double check the numbers, but do they account for the last attack missing and the Sneak Attack not being used? I guess that's a fairly low chance with super advantage, assuming the AC isn't astronomical. There's only a 53% chance of not critting on one of the first two attacks, and the third attack must be near 90% accuracy, I would guess. (Yep, looks like a 93.6% chance on a 60% normal hit rate. That Elven Accuracy feat....wow.)

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I would have to double check the numbers, but do they account for the last attack missing and the Sneak Attack not being used? I guess that's a fairly low chance with super advantage, assuming the AC isn't astronomical. There's only a 53% chance of not critting on one of the first two attacks, and the third attack must be near 90% accuracy, I would guess. (Yep, looks like a 93.6% chance on a 60% normal hit rate. That Elven Accuracy feat....wow.)
Actually I believe I left of sneak attack completely if you didn't crit to make an underestimate.

Whether or not I revised that, I don't remember.

[MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION]

Great, you go from the average DM to the Extreme Players. With power gamers comes "power DM"?
1) The player must find a way to go to the extreme you are refering to and this, at all times.
2) The DM must let the player go to the extreme all the time.

This makes for a pretty unbalanced type of play. You need that bard, you need that bless, you need... whatever. Yes sometimes all the stars will align in such a way. That will lead to pretty good memories and that is fine. At other times, the stars won't align so well.

There are so many ways to counter the "perfect" set up that it is mind boggling.
1- More than one fight per day. The 5 mwd can lead to that problem
2- Chain encounters without rest. Sometimes, the sound of a fight attracts some other monster...
3- Never let the player assume that it will be the last figth of the day... That will teach them to keep some resource in reserve.
4- Varied encounter monster type. Not all monsters in an encounter should be the same. Your group has varied characters? So should the monsters have.
5- A simple dispel magic negates a lot of the problems.
6- Monsters can take the dodge action too. Especialy in a corridor/room where they will block and the rear rank will start raining death...
7- And I could go on and on and on.

Yes the white room calculation is great to point a potential problem/abuse. Yes with all stars properly aligned the DPR of GWM and SS will outshine the DPR of the other character builds. But how often does this really happen in balanced games? Not very often. The white room shows potential not actual real game play. And with a little experience and advice, a young DM will quickly do what he has to do to make things right without shutting down the feats.

CapnZapp

Legend
So for this next table I calculate the impact of using a precision battlemaster maneuvre on an attack done with GWM. And it looks like [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] is correct, it *realllly* makes a big difference:

View attachment 87142

First thing, remember "remember the extremes".

Rodrigo is only level 7 and has only two attacks. A minmaxed level 15 character can have five attacks.

11 levels of fighter (battlemaster): 3 main attacks plus one "off hand" attack
4 levels of ranger (hunter): adds Horde Breaker "free" attack everytime target has an adjacent ally (which is very common).

Now you're probably wondering why I'm bringing up two-weapon fighting in a GWM discussion. That is because greatweapon wielders aren't the only ones capable of abusing the heck out of the -5/+10 mechanism.

A hand crossbow wielder also gets access to this, through Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert. And Archery alone nearly negates half the -5 all by itself.

Not saying you must do this to get valid results. Just flagging that Rodrigo has a few steps remaining before he can be considered optimized.

BUT if we stop here, we will make the error I mentioned at the begging - we are not comparing the same things! Featless Rodrigo, he too has maneuvers, and these also have to be considered - it's not fair to compare GWM + maneuvers to normal attack without maneuvers
Not sure why you feel to phrase it like this, as if I (or others) have ever suggested otherwise.

But each maneuver you spend on damage adds 1d8 (and later 1d10 etc) damage per maneuver, or +4,5 damage on average.

If you think about it, adding that same die to make sure an 2d6+15 attack hits gives a much larger benefit for the same buck (=precision maneuver).

Even if we say the superiority die only turns a miss into a hit half the time, half of 2d6+15 is still 11 - way more than the average of the die itself.

And more importantly, you don't need to use a Precision maneuver on every attack, only the ones that miss (and don't miss big).

Say (again very roughly, just for example's sake) you hit (without precision) half the time. This means that the average benefit of Precision superiority dice doubles (since half the time, you gain all the damage without having to spend your superiority die) back to 22.

And, just for complete transparancy, that 2d6+15 (or 22 on average) might be "only" 1d6+15 (since we could be talking, not greatswords, but hand crossbows). Still, that averages out to 18 if we round down.

Okay, so what's the deal with "22 on average" - don't you ever miss? Yes, we do. And so 22 is actually slightly high.

Say our attack bonus is +12, or +7 when using -5/+10. Note: no magic bonuses assumed - this assumes Archery, and is equivalent to a GWM user with a magical +2 greatweapon.

Against AC 15, this means he has a 87% chance of hitting. In other words, there is only a 13% risk of having to use his superiority d10's.

But wait! The risk of actually rolling so low that a d10 doesn't stand a very good chance of turning miss into hit is only... (at this point, let's assume we won't "waste" our superiority dice on rolls of 1, 2 and 3. The probability of rolling 4, 5, 6 or 7 on a d20 with advantage is 10%. The probability of the miss actually becoming a hit is then 70%, 80%, 90%, and 100% respectively, or 85% on average.

So we have the following outcomes:
Rolling 1-3: 2.25%
Rolling 4-7, adding Precision and still missing: 1.5%
Rolling 4-7, adding Precision and turning miss into hit: 8.5%
Rolling 8-20: 87%

Our character has an excellent ~95% chance of delivering his 18 (1d6+15) damage each attack, which means that his average DPR will be 18x5x95%=86.5

Also note that he will have to spend an average of 0.5 superiority dice (10% chance each attack) each such round, so he can keep this up for ten (10) rounds.

---

Now let's contrast this to another character that didn't pick GWM (or SS/CE) and didn't pick Precision. This character's party is just as good at fixing advantage for our hero, so that part stays the same.

The best base damage will be 2d6+1d10+7 or 19. (Now I'm generously giving this guy a +2 Greatsword. He's going to need it)

Everything else stays the same, so he still hits on 8+

So we have the following outcomes:
Rolling 1-7: 13%
Rolling 8-20: 87%

His average DPR is 19x5x87%=83

83 is almost equal to 86. What gives?

Now note that this hero spends a superiority die in 87% of all attacks. He spends an average of 4,35 superiority dice per round, burning through all his such dice in less than two rounds.

(Though to be fair: he will gain something more than the superiority damage. He might for instance make the foe prone, thus saving on other advantage-enabling party resources)

---

In general, I feel GWM was designed without realizing how easy you can hit fairly high ACs through combined tactics. The tactic of Precision should more accurately be called *not* using Precision, since in 90% of attacks you don't use Precision.

And in all those cases, you could use another maneuver instead.

Now you see why the two options aren't comparable.

In a true nova battle I could use my first three or four superiority dice to add another +5.5 (1d10) x 87% on top of my 86.5 DPR if I really wanted. The damage increase isn't all that perhaps, but I get to enjoy the same make-prone effect as the other guy.

(Of course, this is a headless idea unless you somehow know burning through all your superiority dice in a single round is a good idea)

---

All that remains to be said is that if you didn't pick GWM, what feat did you take instead?

(I haven't included it so far - hopefully you see we need to pick one specific choice).

Let's see how much of this insight is present in that next post of yours...

Remove ads