This Old Dragon

WebWarlock

First Post
There was never a follow-up to the Dragon CD-ROM Collection. WotC ran into too many legal issues with the first one.

This week we get Land Dragons, character creation software (that you have to type in yourself) and the infamous (at least it was where I grew up) Combat Computer!

It's June 1983. In the stores the new covers for the AD&D core books are out and yes I had to buy them. Bond is in the theatres, new covers on the shelves, Naked Eyes on the radio and There's Always Something There to Remind Me in This Old Dragon Issue #74!

Dragon_74.png

What are your memories of this issue? Did you use the Combat Computer? Write your D&D software? Still waiting for that "better than Star Wars and E.T." D&D movie script that Gygax had?

I loved the April Fool’s issues of Dragon back in the day. I always looked forward to seeing them. The goofy humor was a nice bit of levity, and what D&D game doesn’t involve at least some laughter?

To the detriment of my PCs, I even used the monsters in my campaigns from time to time. The min-maxed munchkin was absolutely irate when I trotted out a snow golem to face him.

The cover is certainly a long-running joke, but in Daniel Horne’s hands it becomes much more striking. His covers were always top-notch.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Well, you guys need this, an index of all the Dragon Magazine articles:

http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/

Plus all of the Dragons are available online in PDF form. I have many but not all.

The instant articles that came right to my mind were the ones on Weather, Polearms, Baba Yaga's Hut, the troop levels in the Bandit kingdoms, and the grappling one.

WebWarlock

First Post
I have the Dragon CD-ROM, but these are all based on a big box of really beat up and mildewy Dragons I have bought as part of larger collections.
I pull one out at random and review what I have. Nearly all are missing the cover and many are missing pages. So I only reveiw what is in front of me.

This week we go to April 1988. Star Trek the Next Generation is on the air and critics are still not sure about it.
The town I live in is *still* censoring George Michaels "I Want Your Sex" on the radio.
I have a new best friend who will six years later become my girlfriend and then in 2 more years become my wife.

Castle Greyhawk is the newest adventure on the shelves.

Dragon_132.png

Chainsowrds! Orcwars! Dreamers and Snarf, all in issue #132 of This Old Dragon!

http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/2017/09/this-old-dragon-issue-132.html

WebWarlock

First Post
I hate to mention it, but some of these Dragons are such bad shape that the only thing I can do after reviewing them is toss them.

A few are so mildewy (not of my doing, I bought them like this) that I couldn't even read them with loading up on antihistamines.

WebWarlock

First Post
Doing a little cheating here this week.

Going to spend this October going over all my favorite October issues in my collection.
October is a big deal over at my blog The Other Side. In addition to a bunch of horror related RPG posts I participate in the October Horror Movie Challenge. This year my son is joinging me.

Up today, it October 1984.
Features include the very witchy Incantatrix. A bunch of bats from Ed Greenwood.
A guide to and adventure set in the home of the Norse Gods and more in this issue #90 of This Old Dragon!

Dragon_90.png

http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/2017/10/this-old-dragon-issue-90.html

Remove ads