Here's The Wizard Spell List From Extra Life

I remember when people used to put sentences and everything in their posts. It was a golden era.

I remember when people used to put sentences and everything in their posts. It was a golden era.

hejtmane

Explorer
The Bladesinger and the Battlerager are setting-neutral (having originated in the 2e products The Complete Book of Elves and The Complete Book of Dwarves (respectively).

Thought the Battlerager was complete garbage in SCAG it did not capture the essence of a battle rager at all mechincally or in fluff

The two I think they got right were the SwashBuckler and Monk of the Long Death

flametitan

Explorer
Thought the Battlerager was complete garbage in SCAG it did not capture the essence of a battle rager at all mechincally or in fluff

The two I think they got right were the SwashBuckler and Monk of the Long Death

I enjoyed the Battlerager on a mechanical basis, though I haven't had a chance to actually play one. My Realmslore is not there to say if it fits in a fluff perspective.

Swashbuckler we know will be in Xanathar's guide (as Jeremy Crawford stated that it'll have some clarification that you cannot meet the new requirements if you have disadvantage), Long Death is probably out as it's based on a specific monastic order from the Realms

I like what I've been seeing so far, but do agree with the sentiment about reprinting content already printed elsewhere. ToA monster section is half full of critters from Volo's Guide. There are any number of other jungle-themed creatures that they could have used instead (Tasloi, other types of dino, etc).

For adventures, I do see the point, as there's no guarantee that the person running it will have the sourcebook that the monsters are in. Then again, giving substitutes from the MM in those cases would be an alternative.

And even I, someone who throws dinosaurs in for fun at any given opportunity in a D&D game, don't think we need much more in the way of new dinosaur types, as virtually all the archetypes are covered, and most other dinosaur species (and other Mesozoic reptiles) can simply use the stats of similar dinosaurs already covered.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Originally, yes, but they've since become so associated with the Realms that I don't think WotC really considers them setting neutral anymore.

I'm curious how the Bladesinger became "so associated with the Realms." In 2e they were a kit in a setting neutral book, in 3e they were a prestige class in a setting neutral book.

So even if they were somehow Realms-specific for the full half hour or so 4e was a thing that's a small proportion of their published history.

flametitan

Explorer
I'm curious how the Bladesinger became "so associated with the Realms." In 2e they were a kit in a setting neutral book, in 3e they were a prestige class in a setting neutral book.

So even if they were somehow Realms-specific for the full half hour or so 4e was a thing that's a small proportion of their published history.

It's less that they're published as a Faerun specific thing, so much as Bladesinging as a lore concept seems to have a lot more baggage in the Forgotten Realms than in the other settings. Part of it might be that there's less Greyhawk in general, but I can't really find anything on how the bladesinging tradition affects its world. Eberron I find a piece that roughly says the Heirs of Dhakaan are an excuse to put them in your game, and that's it. I get the impression they have no real place in Dragonlance or Dark Sun, either, simply because of the way magic is handled in those settings.

So while Bladesinging might not have been published with a setting in mind, it seems that the Realms is the only setting that gives them a real place in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I just don't see the realms association. While I agree that I don't think that they will be in Xanathar's (mainly due to the lack of melee cantrips), I still don't really see them as being associated with the Realms. They'd definitely find a place in Dragonlance since the elven Fighter/Mage is still an option there. Greyhawk would be a likely campaign world where they would suit, Dark Sun maybe not. Mystara would also be an excellent world for the bladesinger but this might be due to my first learning of this setting through Basic DnD where the elf class was a fighter/mage.

Maybe the association is only in 4e/5e due to them showing up in Forgotten Realms books but I think for people who have been playing for a while, they bladesingers fit in well with other settings.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
It's less that they're published as a Faerun specific thing, so much as Bladesinging as a lore concept seems to have a lot more baggage in the Forgotten Realms than in the other settings. Part of it might be that there's less Greyhawk in general, but I can't really find anything on how the bladesinging tradition affects its world. Eberron I find a piece that roughly says the Heirs of Dhakaan are an excuse to put them in your game, and that's it. I get the impression they have no real place in Dragonlance or Dark Sun, either, simply because of the way magic is handled in those settings.

So while Bladesinging might not have been published with a setting in mind, it seems that the Realms is the only setting that gives them a real place in the world.

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm not seeing it anywhere. The one consistent thread to mentions of bladesingers in the publications I've seen (which I will note does not include much in-depth 4e stuff) is promoting a very "elves-first, and only elves" mentality. And while I'm sure that the Realms has its share of haughty, arrogant, and/or xenophobic elves same as anywhere, it can hardly corner that market.

Amusingly, though, in Eberron the bladesinger was suggested as a goblinoid discipline, at least in Keith Baker's "Dragonshards" articles (specifically the article from 08/16/2004). That's an interesting break form the standard.

maceochaid

Explorer
Well in 4E Warlocks were explicitly devil bargainers, but they are not in 5E so I hope they keep them either or. I kind of hope they are in alternative "Expanded Spell Lists" for Fiend Warlocks, or Invocations for Fiend/Chain Locks. Although I know restricting Invocations based on Pacts was very heavily frowned on by the community.

gyor

Legend
Well in 4E Warlocks were explicitly devil bargainers, but they are not in 5E so I hope they keep them either or. I kind of hope they are in alternative "Expanded Spell Lists" for Fiend Warlocks, or Invocations for Fiend/Chain Locks. Although I know restricting Invocations based on Pacts was very heavily frowned on by the community.

Even in 4e the Warlocks had other pacts, Star Pact, Fey Pact, Vestiage Pact, Gloam Pact, Sorceror King Pact, Dark Pact.

Rellott

Explorer
Yeah. 5e has equivalents already of star (goo), fey (archfey), and dark (fiend). Not sure if undying would be roughly equivalent to gloam or not... memory’s a bit rusty. A vestige pact would be interesting but might require too much mechanical overhaul... or a lot more customization within the class, a la totem barbarian. Sorcerer King pact was pretty dark sun specific - it would need refluffed at least.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads