The Actual Table of Contents for Xanathar's Guide to Everything

Dualazi

First Post
Those are apparently there for the AL folks, with their PHB +1 limits.

Doesn’t really change the fact that it means the book holds less content/value for people that already have those options available in non AL games. I find this especially irritating because their measured release schedule really doesn’t need to be weighed down with filler and reprints.

The sense of entitlement is strong with this thread...

No it isn’t, the complaints raised are entirely valid. The first major character options package released for 5e and we already see it has 11 pages of totally meaningless filler, coupled with several reprints of existing options. It’s not ‘entitlement’ to criticize the shortcomings of a product or developer, and 11 pages of names is pretty indefensible.

As an aside, I’m getting really tired of seeing people try and dismiss complaints as entitlement, essentially implying that you should just be happy with whatever and never push back against poor quality. No one is asking for the book for free, but pointing out that a lot of redundant or useless content might make it a harder sell at the usual 50$ price is a valid issue for potential consumers to be made aware of.

For my part, I’ll be waiting for a significant discount to crop up before I purchase this, I think. The massive number of reprints (classes, races, spells) and the jaw-dropping 17 pages total of names makes me really annoyed. Realistically I’d ballpark probably 30 odd pages of content that doesn’t need to be present, and that’s a ton of real estate. They could have put in the revised ranger and artificer easily within that space, if not more, and given how long releases take in 5e it seems doubly egregious to be hit with so much filler.

No it isn’t, the complaints raised are entirely valid. The first major character options package released for 5e and we already see it has 11 pages of totally meaningless filler, coupled with several reprints of existing options. It’s not ‘entitlement’ to criticize the shortcomings of a product or developer, and 11 pages of names is pretty indefensible.

Vote with your pocketbook. It's the only thing Hasbro will listen to. Complaining on the internet does not solve problems in an effective manner. (See my purposeless, overblown tirades against wilderness rogues and thieves cant for details.)

techno

Explorer
Disappointed by all the filler. Wish they included weapon feats instead. Those were cool. A bunch of names I can Google is not.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Vote with your pocketbook. It's the only thing Hasbro will listen to. Complaining on the internet does not solve problems in an effective manner. (See my purposeless, overblown tirades against wilderness rogues and thieves cant for details.)

Can't people both vote with their purse and textually express their displeasure on a forum? Aren't forums explicitly for airing one's opinions?

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
By that logic, no one should express an opinion either way -- criticism or excitement -- because Hasbro isn't reading what we write. We should all just silently "vote with our pocketbooks" and keep our opinions to ourselves. That wouldn't make for a very interesting forum, though, would it?

I feel bad for anyone who pays full price for this book. It'll be marked down at B&N. And if you have a members' card there, you get something like 15% (or is it 20%?) off hardcovers. That stacks with the 20% off coupons they e-mail me on a regular basis.
You are paying more for a $50 book even with discounts, because discounts are based on the MSRP. If you have a 35% discount, then a $50 book costs $32.50, while a $40 book costs $26. That's a significant difference.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases