The Actual Table of Contents for Xanathar's Guide to Everything

A lot of good stuff there. Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see. Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

A lot of good stuff there.

Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see.

Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

guachi

Hero
It looks good. First thing I'm going to look at is page 78 and Tying Knots. It has that bit of random importance that infested the 1e DMG. I read it and think, "Why did Gygax think this was important enough to put in a book?"

Then I saw all the names at the back. I'm an Arabic linguist. I'm sure the butchering of Arabic names will make me cry. Of course, the names already get butchered in the attempted transliteration into the Roman alphabet every day here on Earth. I wonder if they'll eliminate the overtly religious names referencing Allah that won't really make sense in a fantasy context.

If I had known they were adding names I could have given them hundreds of Arabic names along with rough meanings of the names.

Last edited by a moderator:

MechaPilot

Explorer
I'm glad the price went down. The book just doesn't seem like a $50 value.

I don't need the real world names. It's tremendously easy to google those. I frequently use Behind the Name for names from other real world cultures.

As for the SCAG reprints, I never bought the SCAG, and I don't intend to unless I can maybe get it from a bargain bin for $10 or less. So they don't particularly bother me. That said, I can see how people who already paid for that material in the SCAG would be very irritated at having to buy it a second time just to get the other stuff in the new book. I think the reprints are a bad business idea; to me, it only encourages piracy. And yes, I know about the AL's PHB+1 limit, but it's incredibly easy to say SCAG and the Guide are considered one book as a special rule for AL purposes (this would be much easier to implement and enforce than their special subclasses or extra gear for charitable donations).

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Wow. I read the table of contents and was quite interested in this. Looks good to me, but I didn't have a prob with SCAG either (even though I am not keen on the FR). Wizards are showing us what is in these books first. People expected SCAG to be something it was not. Is that the case here? So much negativity. Simple - don't buy it.

Anyway, looks like there will be some interesting stuff in there. Of course I will only use a tiny portion of it, but that's been the case for most expansion books for all editions, so...

gyor

Legend
Wow. I read the table of contents and was quite interested in this. Looks good to me, but I didn't have a prob with SCAG either (even though I am not keen on the FR). Wizards are showing us what is in these books first. People expected SCAG to be something it was not. Is that the case here? So much negativity. Simple - don't buy it.

Anyway, looks like there will be some interesting stuff in there. Of course I will only use a tiny portion of it, but that's been the case for most expansion books for all editions, so...

There is a lot of cool stuff in it, it's find to want the stuff we like subclasses, and critize the parts that are a waste of space, the feedback helps WotC make better products. I still plan on buying it, but it could be a lot better.

I find 50$ quite a lot. I do like the content however. Even the appendix with names. I am sure they would have put more subclasses in. Bur I guess the other subclasses and stuff did not playtest well enough. And they are true to their line: better less content than bad content. That is good in my opinion.
I bought it on dnd beyond for 25 dollars. That seems ok to me.

I feel bad for anyone who pays full price for this book. It'll be marked down at B&N. And if you have a members' card there, you get something like 15% (or is it 20%?) off hardcovers. That stacks with the 20% off coupons they e-mail me on a regular basis.

I figure I'll drive about 15 miles and pay half price. Totally worth it.

What's the release date again?

Never, ever pay full price for your RPGs, kids.

Remove ads

Remove ads