The Actual Table of Contents for Xanathar's Guide to Everything

A lot of good stuff there. Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see. Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

A lot of good stuff there.

Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see.

Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

eryndel

Explorer
So folks are feeling ripped off by a guide, written by the guild master of one of the most pernicious Thieves Guilds in the Sword Coast. I mean, he's a beholder... he doesn't even have hands!

I'd much rather trust Volo and that's saying something.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Remathilis

Legend
I mean even fantasy names for human races would have been better, Mulan names, Calashite names, Narfellan names, Chultan names, Turami names, and so on.

Then people would have complained the names were to Realms-focused and want names for Flan, Suel, Khorvaire, Barovia, Solomnia, Sigil, etc as well. No win situation.

Those are apparently there for the AL folks, with their PHB +1 limits.

I keep hearing this, but it doesn’t make any sense. Like the Tortle Package, they can say “SCAG counts as Xanathars for PHB + 1.” Then it has the exact same effect with 1 sentence. *Shrug*

Of course, I already pre-ordered it at DDB, so it’s not like I’m not excited to see it. But I keep hearing everywhere that reprinted stuff is to help with PHB+1 when that doesn’t really make any sense at all. Just leaves me kinda confused. :)

Now if it’s just to get new player material condensed, that kinda works except it overlooks EEPC and backgrounds in various adventures and the like.

pukunui

Legend
Now if it’s just to get new player material condensed, that kinda works except it overlooks EEPC and backgrounds in various adventures and the like.
Based on the wizard spell list preview, it looks like the spells from the EEPC are getting reprinted in XGE as well (and the deep gnome was reprinted in the SCAG, while the goliath was reprinted in Volo's).

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Yeah, the last year or so of UA's, trawling through feedback, testing, revising, surveys, etc. they really should just give it to us for free. Hell, I think I should be paid to buy it!
I would expect a book as slim as the SCAG to be priced the same as the SCAG (i.e. $40).

Plus, there's nothing in the Table of Contents that interests me. Player options are a detriment to the game, most of the content is reprinted from other sources, and the only new content appears to be useless filler. No thanks.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I keep hearing this, but it doesn’t make any sense. Like the Tortle Package, they can say “SCAG counts as Xanathars for PHB + 1.” Then it has the exact same effect with 1 sentence. *Shrug*

Of course, I already pre-ordered it at DDB, so it’s not like I’m not excited to see it. But I keep hearing everywhere that reprinted stuff is to help with PHB+1 when that doesn’t really make any sense at all. Just leaves me kinda confused. :)

The EEPC is one of the +1 options to choose from, along with the printed books: largely redundant at this point, but that appears to be part of the publishing strategy, to reprint material to keep it AL relevant.

maceochaid

Explorer
Clearly guys they needed to do the reprints! Can you imagine if the Mastermind had access to Racial Feats! Obviously only the Storm Sorcerer can, nay, MUST have racial feats!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Then people would have complained the names were to Realms-focused and want names for Flan, Suel, Khorvaire, Barovia, Solomnia, Sigil, etc as well. No win situation.
Yeah, despite the Xanathar in the title, this is a setting generic book. It's not like Realms or Greyhawk culture names aren't just Earth culture names with a slight twist, anyways.

I can be pretty terrible at naming, so I appreciate the tables for quick reference: interesting choices for cultures, at any rate.

Remathilis

Legend
Yeah, despite the Xanathar in the title, this is a setting generic book. It's not like Realms or Greyhawk culture names aren't just Earth culture names with a slight twist, anyways.

I can be pretty terrible at naming, so I appreciate the tables for quick reference: interesting choices for cultures, at any rate.

I honestly wouldn't mind: "Celtic names can be used to represent people of Tethryan or Ffolk stock (Faerun), Eldeen Reaches (Eberron), ..." to kinda show what RL names would link up with different regions in D&D settings.

Remove ads

Remove ads