The Actual Table of Contents for Xanathar's Guide to Everything

A lot of good stuff there. Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see. Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

A lot of good stuff there.

Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see.

Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

gyor

Legend
Looks great! Lots of interesting stuff there in the DM toolbox.

It's true that you can look-up/make-up names on your own, but I know a LOT of players that are terrible at it, and this will really help them. Personally, I'm great at making names, but then it's not all about me, is it?

After all those subclass videos on D&D Beyond, I'm surprised there's so many subclasses that I didn't realize were going to be in there. Looks like some interesting ones.

I wonder if the ranger will include some of the revisions?

Seriously, Google search elf/dwarf/Indian/Japanese/Chinese/Greek names, you have tons of names in seconds. You don't have to be good at coming up with names, you will have hundreds to choose from in seconds.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
With http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/ I find the name stuff just a complete waste of a book entirely - glad I only purchased the D&D beyond version for half-ish the price. I mean, I agree with [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION] about those pages around waking and sleeping and so forth, been looking for solid clarification there for a while, and the class options of course are stellar. But not worth more than the 30 bucks at D&D Beyond.

gyor

Legend
This is shaping up to be a very lackluster release. And that low of a page-count makes the $50 price-tag unjustifiable. I'm going to file this one alongside the SCAG as another unfortunate blemish on 5E.

This is why you buy it for a discount on Amazon or other highly discounted price.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
This is shaping up to be a very lackluster release. And that low of a page-count makes the $50 price-tag unjustifiable. I'm going to file this one alongside the SCAG as another unfortunate blemish on 5E.
Yeah, the last year or so of UA's, trawling through feedback, testing, revising, surveys, etc. they really should just give it to us for free. Hell, I think I should be paid to buy it!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Those are apparently there for the AL folks, with their PHB +1 limits.

I understand that, even if it doesn't affect me. Still, it reduces the useful pages of SCAG (for character creation) to a few subclasses (for me, the Arcane domain for Clerics is the only one I have used, and I love it), and the race material --- all of which could easily have fit where they are instead going to give me human names.

(Also -- calling it now -- there will be problems with the name lists that will upset people. Either there will be more male names than female names, or one of the lists will contain stereotypes or derogatory names. It's a minefield that they didn't need to enter, but have chosen to. I really want to be wrong on this.)

gyor

Legend
The sense of entitlement is strong with this thread...

It's almost like people want reasonable value for the money they will spend on this book, how dare they!

Look most of the book is fine, although the DM stuff should have gone into a separate book, and a races section along with some other player stuff replace it, but at least that is reasonably useful stuff, but the human names section is a waste of space that could have gone to something useful, but didn't.

People have a right to point this out.

I mean even fantasy names for human races would have been better, Mulan names, Calashite names, Narfellan names, Chultan names, Turami names, and so on.

Remove ads

Remove ads