D&D 5E A Proper Ability Score Generation Preference Poll

What PC ability score generation method do you prefer?

• Pick any scores you want

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Point-buy of 27 ponts

Votes: 77 40.5%
  • Standard array only

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Default PHB: Players' choice of 4d6 drop lowest OR standard array

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Players' choice of 4d6 drop lowest OR point-buy (27 points & including standard array)

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • 4d6 drop lowest only

Votes: 19 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 29 15.3%

Yardiff

Adventurer
*EDIT: just to be clear that's "rogue" not "Rogue". This is going to be a strength based fighter with 16, 10, 15, 10, 8, 16. Strong and charming but not particularly wise (leaps before he looks type).

Then you should have said fighter with a couple levels of rogue not 'Hes a Rogue"

And I understand that your character is more thug then rogue. I've played them before and they can be fun.

Yardiff

Adventurer
Why not? If he started as rogue, he'd be no problem. There's no minimums for your base class.

And no, [MENTION=6789021]Yardiff[/MENTION], that's not pulling out my "against type" character. I POSTED my entire group for perusal and apparently that's not a good enough test. When I talked about my ranger, the guesses netted one out of three of the posited stats. ((Oh, no one cares about the other three, so, there goes the whole "I can guess your stats thing".))

I mean, is a hunter ranger with sharpshooter actually playing against type? Seriously? I dump statted Con, both for the in game reason that the character was quite young and the out of game meta-thinking that my archer character isn't going to get hit much anyway, why bother with Con?

Then I got told that Alertness was a totally out of place feat. Umm, what? Largely guaranteed advantage on 2-3 attacks in the first round of combat with Sharpshooter? That's out of place? Plus cannot be surprised? Dunno about your games, but, that's come up more than once in mine.

But, hey, the goalposts are on roller skates anyway, so, this conversation is largely pointless. The claim was, "I can ALWAYS guess the point buy value character's stats". Now it's "Well, I can guess the top three stats, if the character is created the sole way that I would optimize that character". I mean, FFS, I GAVE the arrays for five characters and no one is apparently able to match the stats to the classes. That's a heck of a lot easier than trying to actually guess the stats. And, because it's posted, there's no way anyone could be cheating.

But, then, if you can't cheat, then you can't whine about people lying and cheating when they smack you down for making ridiculous claims that you can't back up. Must be nice to be in a position where you ensure that you "win" on the Internet instead of actually discussing with any intellectual honesty.

A ranger with dumped con is against type for most people, just because you don't consider it against type doesn't make it not against type.

Yardiff

Adventurer
Um, I'm afraid there are - if you want to multi-class. You have to meet the minimum stats for both the class you start in, and the class you are switching too.

It's easy to miss, but the rule is there.

Its not that easy to miss if you read the multi-classing section.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
A ranger with dumped con is against type for most people, just because you don't consider it against type doesn't make it not against type.

You seem pretty sure you know what "most people" prefer and do when it comes to characters.

What are you basing this on?

Oofta

Legend
I get that Oofta but just because some people, like you, play more for character reasons you should at least admit that ALOT of characters are built to be the best for their class. A lot of people want to be good at their class abilities and using standard array that, for the most part, limits stat placement. In my opinion this is why people (maybe a lot of people) say the standard array, and to some extend point buy, can look pretty cookie cutter.

I have a player who always plays 1 of 2 characters. A halfling rogue or a female wizard/sorcerer (preferably a drow) that specializes in fire spells. To me, his PCs are the definition of "cookie cutter" and it has nothing to do with what his ability scores are.

As far as "want to be good at their class abilities" I don't see that much of a difference. People playing a barbarian will usually put their highest number in strength, their second highest into constitution like the PHB recommends. It doesn't matter if that highest number is from point buy, an array or a random roll of the dice.

On a side note, the only games I've ever been in where anyone even knew what other people's ability scores were was when we rolled for them.

I'm not saying your opinion is invalid - just that for me the advantages of point buy outweigh any negatives.

Oofta

Legend
PCs are supposed to a lot better then average stat wise then non-PC characters so telling people they have to play character with overall subpar stats is being a bad GM.

So you're saying that people should not use the 4d6 drop lowest method because it might result in subpar stats? I agree.

Yardiff

Adventurer
You seem pretty sure you know what "most people" prefer and do when it comes to characters.

What are you basing this on?

"Most people" like to have good Con so they have more hp to increase survivability. Tell me Caliban how many characters in AL have you seen with dumped Con?

Yardiff

Adventurer
Are you being a jerk just because you can't help it, or is there a purpose to this?

No I'm correcting what you said about its being easy to miss. The Prerequisites section on pg 163 of the PHB, it takes up the upper right quarter of the page after all.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
No I'm correcting what you said about its being easy to miss. The Prerequisites section on pg 163 of the PHB, it takes up the upper right quarter of the page after all.

No, you were using my post to make a childish jab at [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION].

You are not nearly as subtle or clever as you seem to think you are. Grow up.

Remove ads