D&D 5E A Proper Ability Score Generation Preference Poll

What PC ability score generation method do you prefer?

• Pick any scores you want

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Point-buy of 27 ponts

Votes: 77 40.5%
  • Standard array only

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Default PHB: Players' choice of 4d6 drop lowest OR standard array

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Players' choice of 4d6 drop lowest OR point-buy (27 points & including standard array)

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • 4d6 drop lowest only

Votes: 19 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 29 15.3%

Oofta

Legend
Then you should have said fighter with a couple levels of rogue not 'Hes a Rogue"

And I understand that your character is more thug then rogue. I've played them before and they can be fun.

Ummm ... huh?

I was discussing two different characters. My soon to be retired dwarven rogue has 16 levels of rogue and 4 levels of fighter. You have the ratio of rogue to fighter backwards.

My next character will be a half-elven fighter. No levels of rogue, straight fighter who happens to have a 16 in both strength and charisma.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
"Most people" like to have good Con so they have more hp to increase survivability. Tell me Caliban how many characters in AL have you seen with dumped Con?

Changing the subject I see. That means you are basing it on your personal experiences and preferences - just like [MENTION=6801845]Oofta[/MENTION] was. Hm....

Yardiff

Adventurer
Changing the subject I see. That means you are basing it on your personal experiences and preferences - just like [MENTION=6801845]Oofta[/MENTION] was. Hm....

Did you answer my other question yet?

Would it have been better if I had said 'A lot of people" instead of most? It pretty much is the same thing.

Oofta

Legend
Whatever. You know what I mean.

No, I don't, unless you fall into the "other" category. Roll 4d6 drop lowest, but with rerolls if the characters are subpar ability scores is a perfectly legitimate house rule.

If you follow the rules in the book you can and frequently will end up with ability scores that are below average.

Yardiff

Adventurer
No, I don't, unless you fall into the "other" category. Roll 4d6 drop lowest, but with rerolls if the characters are subpar ability scores is a perfectly legitimate house rule.

If you follow the rules in the book you can and frequently will end up with ability scores that are below average.

Yes, I prefer the "other" rolling methods.

Shall I repost the quotes from the 1e PHB and DMG?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Did you answer my other question yet?
I don't care about your question. It's an obvious attempt to deflect.

Would it have been better if I had said 'A lot of people" instead of most?
Yes, that would have been something approaching accurate.

It pretty much is the same thing.

It really isn't. You were trying to make your position appear stronger by claiming special knowledge of what "most people" would do when your sample size isn't any larger than [MENTION=6801845]Oofta[/MENTION]'s. (i.e. consisting of people you've played with and your own personal preferences.)

Yardiff

Adventurer
No, you were using my post to make a childish jab at [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION].

You are not nearly as subtle or clever as you seem to think you are. Grow up.

No it wasn't a jab at Husser, you had already let him know he was wrong and I have no issue with Husser (or anyone else for that matter), it was correcting an error on your part because you gave bad info.

Arilyn

Hero
As I've said before, this is an example of a poor GM. PCs are supposed to be from the top 10% of the lands population so poor stats are not acceptable.

Please don't criticize my GM. My super high stats didn't stay and either did the low ones. We just ended up picking stats we wanted cause we're all mature and stuff. But that's kind of the point. Why have a rolling system, if you are going to reroll? We now have large table of arrays. Actually two. One set for higher end epic heroes, and one set which more closely matches standard array from phb.

Rolling is problematic because of needing to adjust, reroll, or come up with less extreme system....

Yardiff

Adventurer
I don't care about your question. It's an obvious attempt to deflect.

Yes, that would have been something approaching accurate.

It really isn't. You were trying to make your position appear stronger by claiming special knowledge of what "most people" would do when your sample size isn't any larger than [MENTION=6801845]Oofta[/MENTION]'s. (i.e. consisting of people you've played with and your own personal preferences.)

No it wasn't an attempt at deflection it was question.

I believe that "most people" wouldn't dump Con so I said so.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases