Is Primus a Great God or Overgod in 5e?

S

Sunseeker

I’m very partial to how Planescape termed all the gods and similay powerful beings as “Powers”. It’s a nice term that doesn’t carry the typical connotation that a term like “god” does. And it’s broad enough to use for all such beings...so that greater deity, intermediate deity, and the like don’t really matter.

Sure, in game terms maybe those designations may mean something to some games at some point....but to the characters in the world, they just seem odd.

Sure, and from an in-world perspective, a lot of worshippers are going to think their god is top dog. Regardless of their gods actual power levels.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Sure, and from an in-world perspective, a lot of worshippers are going to think their god is top dog. Regardless of their gods actual power levels.

Yeah, absolutely. And in conversations between characters about that, I’m sure “greater” and “greatest” would come up a lot, and that’s fine. But other than that exception, the classification system that the game uses would seem very artificial if used by characters.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Yet PS did term them as greater powers, intermediate powers, ....

Yeah, I know the terms came up from time to time, but I prefer how they tended to go with just “Powers” as a catch all. Especially when being used “in world” rather than in relation to game mechanics. The term would apply to deities, powerful planar beings like demon princes, beings that are not so easily categorized (such as Primus)....and so on.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I’m very partial to how Planescape termed all the gods and similay powerful beings as “Powers”. It’s a nice term that doesn’t carry the typical connotation that a term like “god” does. And it’s broad enough to use for all such beings...so that greater deity, intermediate deity, and the like don’t really matter.

Sure, in game terms maybe those designations may mean something to some games at some point....but to the characters in the world, they just seem odd.

Agreed. Deities are a specific sort of Power, in terms of their interrelation between worshipper-god-aspect of reality, but aren’t the only class of immortal with an effect beyond themselves. Just as Fiends or Fey don’t need to be gods but can be more potent than many gods in some cases, I don’t see how a being like Primus — a being tied directly into the reality of the planes in a manner distinctive from deities and their relationship-to-the-Material-based existence — needs to be categorized in that group of Powers rather than something else. I’d expect that (if anything) Primus is ‘typed’ the same as whatever you’d classify beings like the Lady of Pain, just tied to Mechanus instead of the Outlands (whether this direct link to a plane instead of to worshippers is what differentiates theses Powers from Deities might be something to consider).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Well, the typical form in polytheistic religions is not that one person picks one god, and worships them. There is a pantheon, and you turn to the god in the pantheon that is relevant for you current concern. If you are pregnant, you turn to the god or goddess of fertility. If you are in a drought, you turn to the rain god, and so on. Clerics may serve only one, but most worshippers go to all in their time.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Agreed. Deities are a specific sort of Power, in terms of their interrelation between worshipper-god-aspect of reality, but aren’t the only class of immortal with an effect beyond themselves. Just as Fiends or Fey don’t need to be gods but can be more potent than many gods in some cases, I don’t see how a being like Primus — a being tied directly into the reality of the planes in a manner distinctive from deities and their relationship-to-the-Material-based existence — needs to be categorized in that group of Powers rather than something else. I’d expect that (if anything) Primus is ‘typed’ the same as whatever you’d classify beings like the Lady of Pain, just tied to Mechanus instead of the Outlands (whether this direct link to a plane instead of to worshippers is what differentiates theses Powers from Deities might be something to consider).

Right....Primus doesn't seem to have worshipers in the traditional sense. Perhaps all Modrons would be considered his followers, but I don't think that's really accurate. They're almost more like an extension of him.

Same with the Lady of Pain. She won't allow people to worship her. Yet she can block the highest of deities from entering Sigil. Certainly she's worth inclusion in discussions of incredibly powerful planar beings...but she doesn't meet most of the criteria associated with deities. Neither do many other Powers.

Remove ads