Is Primus a Great God or Overgod in 5e?

We are the Modron. You will be incarcerated.

Heh. Incarceration would be preferable.

These modrons twist/warp/break humanoids, compressing them into shapes--caged with their own bones, which are coated in metals--to create new modrons. The agony of the process, while "unfortunate," is part of what destroys the mind, allowing them to be magically reprogrammed into beings of pure order and obedience.

gyor

Legend
I hope Primus gets a proper D&D deity treatment, including Domains, if Primus is in FR, I'd be cool if he has worshippers.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I don’t see how he’s either. I don’t see how Primus is a god at all, but rather the command node of a planar operating system, directing a defrag ‘march’ across the Wheel. Primus isn’t a being, the way that someone like Zeus is, Primus is planar code — and if deleted, the Mechanus mainframe upgrades a Secundus with the code for a new Primus to direct the system and choose which chaotic portions of the planes must be partitioned off (even if those area then propagate virally within the new enclosed partition as with the case of the slaadi). There’s some story of the deeper structure of the Wheel (and it’s core alignment-based structure) beyond the gods we see, and the modrons and what appears to an innocuous march across the planes are a part of it...

pming

Legend
Hiya!

In 5e you can't kill Zeus because he's likely a greater God and greater gods can't be killed, at best you kill the Avatar, not the God.

Ok, and this is good I guess? Or bad? I'd put it more towards "bad" because I like the whole "evil" idea of everyone and everything having responsibility for it's own actions. This includes all gods. I also go by the general standards of it1e AD&D, where is was technically possible to kill Zeus, it was so far off the realm of likely as to make it virtually impossible. And besides...we can read stories about heroes slaying gods. Not every day, but they are there. It makes for a really epic ending to a group of PC's adventuring days that's for sure! Hell, one of my characters (with, iirc, 7 other PC's and Henchmen) killed Lolth in the Abyss at the end of Q1 waaaaay back in the day. She was a Demigod, sure, but she just about killed all of us. Most of us were in single-digit or teens for HP's when she finally fell. One of the most adrenaline pumping combats I've ever had. In fact, after that adventure...we all retired. It was a great 'ending' for those characters story. After that, for a good 12 to 15 years (real time, not game time), the Drow were more disorganized than usual and they pretty much all disappeared from harassing the surface world. When a group of PC's actions can have that drastic an effect on a campaign, that's pretty special if you ask me. :)

Anyway, I never liked the "gods never die" concept for my Fantasy games. When a god can die from mortals, it helps keep them in check a bit...at least in my mind. :) Of course, YMMV.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Remove ads