D&D 5E 4d6 Messed Up Party Composition?

Zardnaar

Legend
We use 4d6 drop the lowest for ability score generation and we ended up with this today. While some of you probably think we try to get 20's and run around with the -5/+10 feats and Sorlocks that was a lot earlier in the 5E lifecycle and most of it was stress testing.

The party.

Level 1

Halfling Fighter (heading towards champion)
Half Elf Lore Bard
Variant Human Gemini (EN5ider class think fighter/Rogue)
Variant Human Arcane Cleric

Most of them have 18s and 19's in there prime, no 18's were rolled though racial's got them up there so no 20's at level 1 (its rare even at our tables). Two characters were very similar with a 15 and 17 in the stats rolled. The halfling is a dual wielder along with the Gemini (think Fighter/Rogue with 7 skills). The arcane cleric is going to be a beatdown clerics and she is trying to mix shillelagh+greenflame blade perhaps PAM and later on spiritual guardians. The lore bard is only a lvl 1 bard atm. Anyway some key issues with this party.

1. Not so great at range/lack of wizard. The bards and arcane cleric between them add up to a wizard almost but we have 3 primarily melee characters here. At range they do have the option of pulling out a bow and are dex based. My Gemini has magical initiate-mage armor+ GFB and ray of frost as options as well. Arcane cleric is one of the better clerics at range, not as good as a light cleric though.

2. We have 2 dual wielders. AKA the weakest fighting style. Some 3PP material is allowed and he will be taking 2 feats that by level 6 will allow him to stack dex and strength damage while using light weapons. This means 2 shortswords. Strength will be 16, dex 20 (both feats are +1 to dex/str). The halfling will also get to reroll 1 and 2's and get a bonus dice of damage when he crits although the dice will only be a d6. The Gemini might not go dual wielding but doesn't have a lot to do with the bonus action and gets a combat style at level 3.

3. No dedicated healer as such. We have 2 spellcasters who can cast healing spells to some extent, the bard plans on picking up healing spirit level 6.

4. No dedicated artillery. Lore Bard and Magic cleric can do it to an extent but the cleric is going melee primarily.

The early plan is to bury the enemies in a lot of attacks as the Halfling and Gemini will both get dex to damage off hand and action surge at level 2 and 3. Halfling gets a boost at 6 with the bonus fighter feat (3 attacks 1d6+8 per attack). Have not seen a good halfling fighter since 2E however and a heavy damage halfling dual wielder is amusing. Also I think most of the party is trained in stealth and the arcane cleric is in medium armour. Two PCs dual wielding, 2 PCs with magic initiate.

DM likes his traditional ye olde medieval Europe type games, lots of knights, damsels in distress, mass battles and hordes of mundane lower CR critters (AKA fodder) but pulls out things like Dragons on occasion. Just wondering what people think of the party as I am thinking of replacing the Gemini with an Assassin+ crossbow expert and have a range Rogue.

Last edited:

Coroc

Hero
Hi Zardnaar, ranged rogue is nice, but given your lack of healing think also abot a hunter ranger with criminal Background. If you make him a Wood elf you get perfect skill synergy (perception, nature, lockpick, gambling, deception, stealth, insight all with proficiency) You can pick cure wounds as one of your ranger spells which makes the Party much more versatile.

At first glance your CE might look like the better choice in Terms of damage, but if you get SS, take a bow (2nd att at 5th) your damage is 1d8+1d6 (hunters mark) +dex+10
and if you take colossus slayers then you can add 1d8 to one of your attacks. Later on there are additional ranged goodies.

Well i play such a character, the +2 due to archer compensates the -5/+10 and against bad armored foes he is a killer. But he can heal himself is superstealthy and can pick locks and disarm traps almost as good as a rogue in addition.

Sacrosanct

Legend
What does 4d6 drop lowest have to do with your problem, which seems to be based on player choice of what classes to play? Your thread title seems to infer that the method of stat generation is the cause of a messed up party.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'd say just play what you have if those are the characters you all wanted to play. Why bother changing characters right now? If it turns out the composition is a problem, you'll all die in a TPK and you can change characters then.

And quite frankly... if your DM isn't capable of adapting his game to what his players have for PCs... then after your TPK you can all agree to play characters that fall into the restrictive barriers the DM seems to have erected for themself.

CapnZapp

Legend
We use 4d6 drop the lowest for ability score generation and we ended up with this today. While some of you probably think we try to get 20's and run around with the -5/+10 feats and Sorlocks that was a lot earlier in the 5E lifecycle and most of it was stress testing.

The party.

Level 1

Halfling Fighter (heading towards champion)
Half Elf Lore Bard
Variant Human Gemini (EN5ider class think fighter/Rogue)
Variant Human Arcane Cleric

Most of them have 18s and 19's in there prime, no 18's were rolled though racial's got them up there so no 20's at level 1 (its rare even at our tables). Two characters were very similar with a 15 and 17 in the stats rolled. The halfling is a dual wielder along with the Gemini (think Fighter/Rogue with 7 skills). The arcane cleric is going to be a beatdown clerics and she is trying to mix shillelagh+greenflame blade perhaps PAM and later on spiritual guardians. The lore bard is only a lvl 1 bard atm. Anyway some key issues with this party.

1. Not so great at range/lack of wizard. The bards and arcane cleric between them add up to a wizard almost but we have 3 primarily melee characters here. At range they do have the option of pulling out a bow and are dex based. My Gemini has magical initiate-mage armor+ GFB and ray of frost as options as well. Arcane cleric is one of the better clerics at range, not as good as a light cleric though.

2. We have 2 dual wielders. AKA the weakest fighting style. Some 3PP material is allowed and he will be taking 2 feats that by level 6 will allow him to stack dex and strength damage while using light weapons. This means 2 shortswords. Strength will be 16, dex 20 (both feats are +1 to dex/str). The halfling will also get to reroll 1 and 2's and get a bonus dice of damage when he crits although the dice will only be a d6. The Gemini might not go dual wielding but doesn't have a lot to do with the bonus action and gets a combat style at level 3.

3. No dedicated healer as such. We have 2 spellcasters who can cast healing spells to some extent, the bard plans on picking up healing spirit level 6.

4. No dedicated artillery. Lore Bard and Magic cleric can do it to an extent but the cleric is going melee primarily.

The early plan is to bury the enemies in a lot of attacks as the Halfling and Gemini will both get dex to damage off hand and action surge at level 2 and 3. Halfling gets a boost at 6 with the bonus fighter feat (3 attacks 1d6+8 per attack). Have not seen a good halfling fighter since 2E however and a heavy damage halfling dual wielder is amusing. Also I think most of the party is trained in stealth and the arcane cleric is in medium armour. Two PCs dual wielding, 2 PCs with magic initiate.

DM likes his traditional ye olde medieval Europe type games, lots of knights, damsels in distress, mass battles and hordes of mundane lower CR critters (AKA fodder) but pulls out things like Dragons on occasion. Just wondering what people think of the party as I am thinking of replacing the Gemini with an Assassin+ crossbow expert and have a range Rogue.
I'm having a hard time connecting the post to the topic title.

It's not exactly like official adventures from D&D make it feel like playing on hard mode... And if you're playing homebrew, everything is on the DM anyway... Maybe you just wanted to share your new group.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I'd say just play what you have if those are the characters you all wanted to play. Why bother changing characters right now? If it turns out the composition is a problem, you'll all die in a TPK and you can change characters then.

And quite frankly... if your DM isn't capable of adapting his game to what his players have for PCs... then after your TPK you can all agree to play characters that fall into the restrictive barriers the DM seems to have erected for themself.

I would say, in general, it's on the players to adapt their tactics to the presented challenges, not the other way around. If a party lacks certain things (like a healer or ranged PCs, etc.), the players are well-advised to not play as if they do.

aco175

Legend
I don't see any big problems. You stated your issues with lack of dedicated cleric and mage, but the other classes can pick up there. There should not be too many problems the party cannot handle. The DM should be able to send whatever at this group. It sounds like he plays like I play and this group is about what my players cobble together each campaign. If there seems like there is a problem you can multiclass or add some henchmen or something.

Hoards of monsters can be a problem though and compounds if you do not have a strong cleric. I threw 20 goblins and a giant at the 5th level party and they had a big problem. A few were trying to deal with the giant while the goblins were shooting. Each round a couple arrows would hit for a few points. It starts to add up if nobody is dealing with that problem.

Remove ads