Ridding D&D of All Races - Multiple Choice Poll

What races should we get rid of, for REASONS? (May choose more than one)

• Dragonborn

Votes: 67 40.4%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Elf

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Gnome

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 34 20.5%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 34 20.5%
  • Halfling

Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Human

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 60 36.1%
  • Monstrous Races (Orc, Goblin, etc.)

Votes: 51 30.7%
  • Any optional race not listed above

Votes: 47 28.3%
  • Other - I will explain in the comments

Votes: 15 9.0%
  • I like the exact number of races we have.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • We shouldn't eliminate races- WE SHOULD ADD MORE!

Votes: 48 28.9%
  • Are we not men? WE ARE DEVO!

Votes: 21 12.7%

• Poll closed .

oreofox

Explorer
I eliminated 2 of the "core" races (those under common races, and found in the basic rules): humans and halflings. They no longer exist in my setting, though they did at one point.

As for the gnomes, and their constant "on everyone's crap list", I agree. As they are written in the PHB and many worlds, that is. So, I changed them for mine. Think of the Spartans from the movie 300, and that's the gnomes of my world. Also, add in a dash of steampunk. I have a total of... *goes through his setting documents* 18 races in my setting, with *counts some more* 40 subraces between them (one has 8, one has 5, 8 have 0, with the other 8 have 2, 3, or 4 subraces). Many of them are homebrewed, and so far the bits of playtesting I have done with them haven't shown them to be unbearable on either end of OP/UP. So my players have quite the number of choices.

I have no problem with DMs removing or adding races. If none of the choices are to my liking, I just don't join. And with online games being so numerous, you aren't always stuck playing something you don't like.

Volund

Explorer
I am immediately suspicious of anyone who wants to play a tabaxi. Invariably they want to role play cute cat cliches like batting at balls of yarn, licking their paws to groom themselves and curling up to nap in sunbeams. "I have white furry feet, my name is Socks, and I like to collect shiny objects." Ugh. Go back to the island of cat people and save that s@!# for your furry con.

GameOgre

Adventurer
I am fine with 10,000 races. The more options for the DM the better.

I am also fine for the DM to limit available races based on setting.

I love the thought of a setting with none of the standard races but a plethora of non-standard races to choose from.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I am immediately suspicious of anyone who wants to play a tabaxi. Invariably they want to role play cute cat cliches like batting at balls of yarn, licking their paws to groom themselves and curling up to nap in sunbeams. "I have white furry feet, my name is Socks, and I like to collect shiny objects." Ugh. Go back to the island of cat people and save that s@!# for your furry con.

It’s possible you take life a bit too seriously.

Also invariably? Nope.

We’ve had several in our games so far, not to mention other feline people in older games and Star Wars games. Never had balls of yarn or the like. No more likely to nap in the sun that lizard people, both of which is just playing the idiosyncratic nature of different types of creature. I know humans who like to do that, as well, though not half as much as felines and reptiles.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think keep the races but drop a bunch of subraces. There should be no difference between a hill and mountain dwarf they are both dwarves.

Nah. If your world only has one, great! If my world is like Eberron when subraces are mostly a matter of propensity and focus, and two siblings can be a Mountain and Hill Dwarf and those terms are entirely mechanical, sweet!

But there are DnD worlds where Mountain Dwarves and Hill Dwarves are very different, and thematically just are not simply different cultures. There is no reason to take that away. Nothing is gained by doing so.

JonnyP71

Explorer
The known population in my current game world is 90% Human, 10% Halfling, and my players picked their characters for our current campaign based on that fact... they are more focussed, less thought has gone into character mechanics and more into reasons and roleplay.

Gygax got it right with his humanocentric ideal and thematic restrictions on classes and races... they make for a BETTER game.

If anything goes, then everything ceases to be special.

Satyrn

First Post

It's a fair cop :blush:

Remove ads