Voyager
TAS
The Final Frontier
Generations
Insurrection
Nemesis

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
This is harder than I thought. I liked the Final Frontier more than The Voyage Home, but less than Undiscovered Country. I liked Insurrection and Nemesis more than Generations, but less than First Contact. I think Into Darkness was the better of the newer movies. Yet I did like Beyond more on it's second viewing. My original thought was to copy and paste your list then just move things around. I found myself rethinking where I would place my picks. I'm still thinking about it.

Janx

Hero
The YouTube series Trek Actually makes a pretty good case for why Janeway was a terrible captain and overall, the series was terribly written. I still watched it. But its at the back of the list.

The Search for Spock was the first movie I saw in the theater, so it scores a little higher, despite its flaws. That final fight scene looks much hokier as Kirk fights Doc Brown.

Khan, Voyage and Undiscovered score points for being directed by Nimoy and having a solid plot.

I enjoy NuTrek, but they take some liberties with the timeline\setting. So does Disco.

I dunno. I'm not much of a ranking person. I'm happy if there's Trek to watch. That includes many of the fan-film stuff even.

delericho

Legend
Movies and series? That's tricky. :)

Hmm...

Wrath of Khan
First Contact
The Undiscovered Country
DS9
The Search for Spock
TNG
Beyond
Star Trek 2009
TOS
Into Darkness
Insurrection
Generations
The Voyage Home
The Motion Picture
Voyager (such a good premise; such a waste of potential)
Enterprise
The Final Frontier
Nemesis

(I haven't seen Discovery yet, nor the Animated Series.)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Apples : Oranges : Pears : Plums....

Many of these things are different enough that they play different roles in my constellation of fictions. I like them not different amounts, but for different reasons, and at one time I might want one more, and a different one at a different time, depending on my mood. No static ranking possible, for me.

ccs

41st lv DM
Movies:
Wrath of Khan
The Voyage Home
The Motion Picture
The Search for Spock
The Final Frontier/Undiscovered Country - I like & dislike these two about the same....
Generations/First Contact - again, about the same
ST 2009
Beyond
Into Darkness
Insurrection/Nemeses - I dislike these equally.

Series:
Enterprise (well, 3/4 seasons) - I like the cast & the characters
ToS - still my overall favorite crew.
3rd place is a tie! Voyager/Discovery
The 1st 2.5 seasons or so of Voyager are pretty bad, & I can't stand Janeway. But I loved the Doctor & it got better in later seasons. Discovery (S1 anyways) is pretty damned entertaining.
DS9
TNG - I just don't like the crew.
The Animated Series

Honorable mention goes to The Orrville - better Trek than a lot of actual Trek has been.
And of course Galaxy Quest.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
DS9
Wrath of Khan
TOS
Search For Spock
The Voyage Home
TNG
First Contact
Star Trek 2009
Nemesis (I seem to like this more than most people, mainly because they did a cloaked-ship battle right).

Everything else somewhere below, with Voyager at the bottom. I don't rate Undiscovered Country as highly as most people seem to - it just feels like there's only a tiny percentage of actual Star Trek in its script, wedged in between all the Shakespeare and the Cold War political rhetoric.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Hmmmm.... well, I mean, I hate lists and ranking things, but I'll give it a try. ;)

1. TOS. I mean, of course. How could it be anything else?

2. KHAAAN! Still the perfect example of how to make a good Trek movie.

3. TNG. This was actually a hard choice. I want to rank it lower. I went back and re-watched it all a few year ago, and I noticed that while TOS has transcended age to an almost abstract level of plot, because of the simplified sets and use of film (ONE TOOL IN ENGINEERING!), TNG ... well, it feels very very 80s/early 90s. In addition the hit/miss ratio (the number of really, really bad episodes) wasn't great. Still ... I can't forget that:
a. The show brought the franchise back; and
b. How excited I was to see it every week when it aired; and
c. How good the chemistry was between the cast; and
d. How iconic some episodes are.

4. DS9. It started a little slow, like a Babylon 5 ripoff that didn't know what to do. And it's a shame that we don't have a definitive remastered HD version. But this was the best of the new Trek series, in my opinion. I just can't put it above TNG because, well, TNG kick-started the whole thing.

5. Beyond. WOAH! Yeah, I said it. Look, I'm not a big fan of nu-Trek, although I think the casting and chemistry is great. But while the first movie was good, and the second movie ... was, the third movie truly captured the essence of Trek. Does it have problems? Sure, what Trek movie doesn't. But even the goofy parts (ahem, Beastie Boys) felt so very Trek.

6. James Blish adaptations. I grew up reading these (the local library had copies). They were amazing.

7. The Undiscovered Country. The second-best TOS movies is still better than any TNG movie, which brings us to ...

8. First Contact. A solid TNG movie. So much better than the first that, for a brief time, it seemed like the old even/odd rule was in effect. If only.

9. Voyager. The answer to the question- is a mediocre Star Trek series better than no Trek and better than most Trek movies? The answer is yes. There was a lot of good stuff in this series (I loved Janeway as the Captain) but it just never resonated.

10. The Motion Picture. So ..... very ..... slow ....... such ..... weird ..... set design. Still, pretty good Trek.

11. Trek 2009. Great cast, fun story.

12. TAS. Animation is terrible. Decent for kids. Good plots, considering. GREAT for memes. :)

13. ST: DISCO! The jury is still out on this one. It could move up substantially, or down.

14. The Orville. Yeah, it's total Star Trek fanfic with a high budget and questionable humor. Go in with low expectations, and be pleasantly surprised.

15. Enterprise. So, here's the thing. Theme song? Terrible. First season? Meandering (friggin' temporal war?????). But then they really kicked it up a notch, and it became good. Why didn't I rank it higher? Because it had, arguably, the worst finale outside of Dexter. It was like the series creators felt like taking all the fans that loyally stuck with the show until it got good, and then PUNCHING THEM IN THE FACE. Yeah, I'm still angry.

16. Into Darkness. Um, no. I mean, it was fun, kinda. I didn't hate it.

17. The Voyage Home. Fine. Fun.

18. The Search for Spock. This is the last of the watchable. It's perfectly cromulent.

19-22. PLEASE GOUGE OUT MY EYES. The Final Frontier, Generations, Insurrection, Nemesis. All of these "movies" are just exercises in masochism. You will never get this time back. Even if there is a temporal war.

I mostly agree with this, but I'd put First Contact at the top, Voyage Home just after it...and put flip TNG and DS9. I don't care if Voyage Home is good or not, tbh.

Remove ads