Rank your Treks!

Ryujin

Legend
After rewatched my opinion of it has gone up. And season 3 which was good.

Early TNG is almost unwatchable, Voyager season one Mein Gott didn't make it past the 7th episode iirc.

STD at least is improving each season and the 1st season wasn't that bad with a decent pilot.
When it first came out, I truly loathed "Voyager." I kept watching it, hoping that it would get better, but the number of times that Janeway essentially shouted "RAMMING SPEED!" to get out of a situation just put me off. I also had issues with the "Borgwatch" nature of the later seasons.

It was only upon later rewatch of the Seven of Nine seasons that I grew to appreciate the "nature of humanity" timbre of the Seven of Nine-centric episodes and that moved the show well up on my list. I have to think that if they had left the Seven of Nine character looking much like she did when she first joined the crew I might not have had such an initial reaction, but they needed their ratings candy and, I would say inarguably (with apologies to Inigo Montoya ;) ), that Jeri Ryan is a truly spectacular woman in addition to being a talented actor.

MarkB

Legend
When it first came out, I truly loathed "Voyager." I kept watching it, hoping that it would get better, but the number of times that Janeway essentially shouted "RAMMING SPEED!" to get out of a situation just put me off. I also had issues with the "Borgwatch" nature of the later seasons.

It was only upon later rewatch of the Seven of Nine seasons that I grew to appreciate the "nature of humanity" timbre of the Seven of Nine-centric episodes and that moved the show well up on my list. I have to think that if they had left the Seven of Nine character looking much like she did when she first joined the crew I might not have had such an initial reaction, but they needed their ratings candy and, I would say inarguably (with apologies to Inigo Montoya ;) ), that Jeri Ryan is a truly spectacular woman in addition to being a talented actor.
Yeah, I never got past Voyager's second season when it came out, but I've been watching a few episodes from seasons 5-7 recently on Netflix and they are enjoyable for the most part.

It still suffers from having only a couple of truly interesting characters (the Doctor and Seven of Nine), but the others have at least grown a second dimension by this point, and Neelix is no longer actively annoying.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, I never got past Voyager's second season when it came out, but I've been watching a few episodes from seasons 5-7 recently on Netflix and they are enjoyable for the most part.

It still suffers from having only a couple of truly interesting characters (the Doctor and Seven of Nine), but the others have at least grown a second dimension by this point, and Neelix is no longer actively annoying.
To my mind, one of the best episodes in their run was the "Tuvix" episode, in which the typical transporter accident (Seriously, why do they use those things?!) combined Tuvok, Neelix, and an alien flower into a completely different entity. Temporarily got rid of two of the most annoying characters in one fell swoop.

Stalker0

Legend
To my mind, one of the best episodes in their run was the "Tuvix" episode, in which the typical transporter accident (Seriously, why do they use those things?!) combined Tuvok, Neelix, and an alien flower into a completely different entity. Temporarily got rid of two of the most annoying characters in one fell swoop.
It was also one of the "morality" episodes that was truly great. At the end of the day they killed an unwilling participant to resurrect two of their friends...was a very intense discussion and some really good acting.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
1. The Original Series by a country mile
2. Abrahams Trek
3. Deep Space 9
4. Enterprise
5. Picard
6. The Next Generation
7. Voyager
8. Discovery

As a veteran somewhat put off by the later half of the list because the characters just do not feel like people serving in the military to me, even a more enlightened military organization. Picard and Janeway as characters in particular do not feel like military officers to me. Sisko and Kirk feel like real commanders.

Ryujin

Legend
1. The Original Series by a country mile
2. Abrahams Trek
3. Deep Space 9
4. Enterprise
5. Picard
6. The Next Generation
7. Voyager
8. Discovery

As a veteran somewhat put off by the later half of the list because the characters just do not feel like people serving in the military to me, even a more enlightened military organization. Picard and Janeway as characters in particular do not feel like military officers to me. Sisko and Kirk feel like real commanders.
I would say that Picard definitely started out with the feel of a military commander, however, they softened his character a fair bit after the first season.

Zardnaar

Legend
Is Enterprise any good?

Season 1 in particular if a show has a bad season 1 eg TNG and Voyager it's gellbom earth to get my wife to watch it b

She like DS9, TNG was alright but we skipped most of season 1 &2.

Neelix is that alien cook on Voyager?

Ryujin

Legend
I've seen a lot of comments that it improves a great deal in season 3 with the Xindi arc. Honsetly, I didn't find it that much of an improvement - the coherent plot arc helps, but it felt heavily padded out.
My feeling on the matter is that Enterprise started to get good right around the time they were told that they'd been cancelled.

Remove ads