Rank your Treks!

I'm noticing a LOT of fandom for DS9. I only watched about half of the first season and gave up on it. I guess I might have to give it another go.

It always seemed a little odd to have a show called "Star TREK" on an immovable space station. :unsure:
I figured as much when you placed DS9 so low you must have given up in the first season, but I guarantee you this show honestly delivers unbelievably so and I too had my concerns regarding the immovable space station. :ROFLMAO:

Janx

Hero
I figured as much when you placed DS9 so low you must have given up in the first season, but I guarantee you this show honestly delivers unbelievably so and I too had my concerns regarding the immovable space station. :ROFLMAO:
Indeed. Like TNG, DS9 delivers powerful episodes. Not all the time, but, the entire cast had amazing arcs in away that TNG as an episodic series couldn't. Nog's journey from scamp to Starfleet Officer, for instance.

Which is a stark contrast to virtually no growth arc for Voyager characters outside of Seven and the Doctor. Which is why I rate that series near the bottom.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Indeed. Like TNG, DS9 delivers powerful episodes. Not all the time, but, the entire cast had amazing arcs in away that TNG as an episodic series couldn't. Nog's journey from scamp to Starfleet Officer, for instance.

Which is a stark contrast to virtually no growth arc for Voyager characters outside of Seven and the Doctor. Which is why I rate that series near the bottom.
Its true, the character arcs they pull off are impressive in DS9. "Just my boyish smile." Julian "Not so boyish anymore, I'm afraid" Garak

It's also true that Voyager didnt pull off what DS9 did. Just returned to episodic monster of the week format for the traditional trek fans.

Janx

Hero
Its true, the character arcs they pull off are impressive in DS9. "Just my boyish smile." Julian "Not so boyish anymore, I'm afraid" Garak

It's also true that Voyager didn't pull off what DS9 did. Just returned to episodic monster of the week format for the traditional trek fans.
Shives did a pretty good job summarizing the many issues of Voyager (might have some swearing?):

His core beef is that Voyager got hand-me down ideas like Q and the Borg, best exemplified by the fact that Garret Wang's uniform included Brent Spiner's shoes because they reused that. Most the characters like Chekote got whatever skill or hobby they needed (now he boxes!). The entire point of them destroying the Array was to stick around and protect the Ocompa, and then the next episode, they left them. Ensign Kim stayed and Ensign for SEVEN YEARS.

That about sums it up. Did it have good episodes, yes. But overall, doesn't hold up like the others.

the Jester

Legend
Films:

First Contact
Wrath of Khan
The Voyage Home
Star Trek: Abrams
The Search for Spock
Beyond
Generations
Nemesis
Insurrection
Into Darkness
The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek the Motion Picture
The Final Frontier

TV Shows (have only seen one episode of Lower Decks, so can't rate it):

DS9
TNG
TOS
Enterprise
Voyager
Picard
Discovery

LoganRan

Explorer
I have figured out why I like Voyager and most people in this thread dislike it: Voyager is like old-school DnD. The emphasis was on the current adventure not on long running story arcs or character development. Most people here consider those bugs while I consider those features (or at least not issues that cause me to automatically reject something)

Having said that, I disagree that Voyager characters did not develop. Compared to the other two Star Trek series I have watched (TOS and TNG), I would argue that there was more character change/development that in those two series. For me, though, character change/development simply isn't that big of a factor in my enjoyment of the show.

I'm still going to give DS9 another try based on the intriguing synopsis provided by @payn .

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I have figured out why I like Voyager and most people in this thread dislike it: Voyager is like old-school DnD. The emphasis was on the current adventure not on long running story arcs or character development. Most people here consider those bugs while I consider those features (or at least not issues that cause me to automatically reject something)

Having said that, I disagree that Voyager characters did not develop. Compared to the other two Star Trek series I have watched (TOS and TNG), I would argue that there was more character change/development that in those two series. For me, though, character change/development simply isn't that big of a factor in my enjoyment of the show.

I'm still going to give DS9 another try based on the intriguing synopsis provided by @payn
Voyager for sure had Trek brand feel to it, that DS9 bucked a bit. I totally get that appealed to folks. In fact, Voyager always felt like a reaction to DS9 not being classic Trek. Its popular to kick Voyager around by a lot of folks, but that doesn't mean its not a good show.

Janx

Hero

I'm still going to give DS9 another try based on the intriguing synopsis provided by @payn .
not quite.

It is true that people who like Trek, but hate some series or other, it's likely because it's not what they're familiar with. New fans don't grok TOS. old fans don't like Disco.

But Voyager's episodicness and hand-me downedness cripples it with choices the writers made that get mind-wiped by the next episode in problematic ways. Like the time Janeway murdered Tuvix and everybody let it happen. Again, go watch some Shives videos where he lays out the case. And ironically, he notes that was a GOOD episode of Voyager. But literally nothing of Tuvix, who became part of the crew, is ever commented on or dealt with again. And that was some jack up stuff.

Remove ads