7 Lower Decks
8 Middle seasons of DS9
9 The 2nd and 3rd Kelvin timeline movies
10 Discovery
11 middle seasons Next Generation

Have hopes for new Pike series!

Horwath

Legend
Thanks for that summation. That actually sounds really cool and definitely inspires me to give the show another look.

For all the talk of non-interference and the Prime Directive that pervades many Star Trek shows, it sure seems like the Federation can be a lot like "Galaxy Police: making your culture better by making it more like ours!" (Being an American, I will conveniently ignore the fact that my homeland can often be a lot like that as well...)

Attachments

• Just like the Federation.mp4
    11 MB

I'm noticing a LOT of fandom for DS9. I only watched about half of the first season and gave up on it. I guess I might have to give it another go.

It always seemed a little odd to have a show called "Star TREK" on an immovable space station. :unsure:

I was in the same boat until about 6 weeks ago when I went on a hardcore DS9 binge. It definitely grew on me, and easily holds up the best of the 90s Treks without the help of nostalgia. Like many Trek shows the first season was easily the weakest, with the the writers and producers still struggling to figure out what sort of narratives work with the setting, some of the main characters not really being sufficiently developed yet, and just a general lack of having figured out quite what they wanted to do with the show. Some problems get ironed out by Season 2, some take until season 3, but all that said even the early seasons aren't as rough as TNG of the beardless Riker era.

And yes, it is odd to have a show called Star Trek that minimizes travel, but A) they do actually move around for a fair number of episodes, they just don't have as many new planet of the week episodes as prior Treks, and B) it was mostly written by people who had already done a few years working on TNG and used up most of their best ideas for "visit a new planet" and "encounter a new subspace anomaly" plots, so had the show been more mobile it would have just made it more redundant.

Arilyn

Hero
I agree that DS9 was the best of the new bunch. I feel it fell apart toward the end. After a lot of build up, The Dominion ended up being rather boring. The show gave us Jadzia Dax, however, who is one of my favourite Trek characters and the tribble crossover episode, which is amazing and so well done.

Stalker0

Legend
It's such a good film. Not just a great Trek film, but one of my favorite films of all time.
And lets not forget. Transparent Aluminum was such a cool concept.... that we finally actually made the damn stuff!

Stalker0

Legend
DS9 really picked up its game, but TNG set it all up that the others from its era built off of.
This is a great description.

In terms of a show that I would watch now, DS9 all the way. But as the show that literally inspired a generation of engineers and scientists....you just can't deny the cultural power of TNG, or TOS of course.

Argyle King

Legend
1. Next Gen*
2. The Original Series*
3. Deep Space 9
4. Enterprise**
5. Voyager
6. The Animated Series
7. Lower Decks
8. Picard
9. Discovery

*At various points, these two swap places. I think TNG is the overall better show, but it's hard to top some of the individual characters and specific moments from TOS. I'm impressed by how much the TOS was able to achieve with such a limited budget; in comparison, a lot of newer shows and movies have multi-million dollar budgets but fall flat.

**It was difficult for me to rate Enterprise. Right around the time it was picking up momentum, the show was cancelled. I believe that it may have had a chance to be bumped up to #3 had it been given another season. The darker intro for the mirror-verse episodes was cool.

Vael

Legend
TV Series:
1. TNG - It's the one I grew up with, while I acknowledge other series may be better, TNG will always be my favourite.
2. DS9 - Probably the best one.
3. Discovery - It's been rocky show, they've yet to really land a season finale, but I've always enjoyed watching it, and am eager for the next season.
4. TOS - Somethings have not aged well, others are timeless.
5. Picard - Tempted to put this ahead of TOS, but can't for only 1 season. It'll depend on what happens in S2.
6. Lower Decks - This one is so hit and miss with me. When it misses, it's intolerable, but when it hits it's pretty great. Reverent and Irreverent at the same time, I have this show jumping all over the place.
7. Voyager - Voyager is intensely frustrating to watch.
8. Enterprise - Nope. Hate it.
Unranked: The Animated Series - Only because I haven't watched it yet.

Dire Bare

Legend
I love it all . . . even ST: Enterprise!

For me, Trek (mostly) keeps getting better and better, and while I truly do love it all, my favorites are the most recent series, or nu-Trek. Discovery, Picard, and even Lower Decks.

Some of the movies and series are hard to love (Nemesis and Enterprise, I'm looking at ya!) . . . but I've still watched it all multiple times, over and over again.

The best Star Trek movie of all time is most certainly Galaxy Quest! Followed by Wrath of Khan!

GreyLord

Legend
I'm not sure...is it fair to rate a show that you haven't seen all the seasons of yet. For example, with Discovery I've heard from many that season 3 is outstanding, but I have not seen it yet. With that there...I suppose I could rate them as follows..

1. Star Trek 6 - Undiscovered Country
2. Star Trek 8 - First Contact
3. Star Trek - The Next Generation
4. Star Trek - Deep Space 9
5. Star Trek - The Original Series
6. Star Trek - Voyager
7. Star Trek 2 - Wrath of Kahn
8. Star Trek 4- The Voyage Home
9. Star Trek 3- Search for Spock
10. Star Trek 11 - Star Trek 2009
11. Star Trek 10 - Nemesis
12. Star Trek 12 - Into Darkness
13. Star Trek 13 - Beyond
14. Star Trek 5 - The Final Frontier
15. Star Trek - Picard
16. Star Trek 9 - Insurrection
17. Star Trek - Enterprise
18. Star Trek 7 - Generations
19. Star Trek - Discovery
20. Star Trek - The Animated Series
21. Star Trek 1 - The Motion Picture

I haven't seen ANY of Lower Decks (it didn't strike me as something I'd enjoy...but perhaps I should give it a shot) so didn't include it in the rankings today.

Be Aware, these rankings could change...even daily...depending on mood, feelings, or just a change in the weather.

Remove ads